Reviews for The Birthday Present
i DEVOURED this fic, one of the best i have ever read in many years (considering how many hours i've spent reading, at least a few hundred). i love how you give weight to several characters, and how you cycle through different POVs. everything feels so balanced.I like how minor characters are elavorated upon and given life, especially winky! the depth of character you gave the other professors, lupin, the weasleys, that's really nice. i like the OCs too. this is a masterpiece and i am humbled just reading it, and thinking of how much of a gigantic effort it must have been to write and think through, and make cohesive makes me reel. thank you so much for writing and i hope you know how much of an impact you have had on readers, even more than ten years after.
cheers!
love the ducks
I'm so glad that H is finally waking up and thinking. There are lots of other fics with a smarter or more rational and mature Harry but from my own interactions with students,.I think your depictions are more realistic - teenage boys don't really think through things, they're biased and moody and temperamental and also somewhat self entitled. And that's what I see H like in your fic and I'm glad it's like that even though it would be nice to have him be adult and , many adults aren't mature, how can be expect it from fictional teenagers?
I couldn't help but cry as I read this chapter (others too, but this one the most). Of all the fics I've read over the years, this has got to be the most interesting way Snape been portrayed, and the most invested I have been in this character. It's a brilliant and well thought out plot and characterization.

On the flip side, I do think the style of writing can be improved on - generally there seems to be a very particular way the characters speak and think which is consistent throughout the fic.

But overall, I really love the content. The storyline and characters has got me quick hooked, especially the last 10 chapters. Thank you very much for writing this and sharing it with the world.
Meldince chapter 85 . 12/15/2020
I've really enjoyed reading this interpretation. the shift of snape over the course of this year was incredible.
Guest chapter 58 . 10/6/2020
I loved the part about Clementine. Maybe someone should teach Harry all the words to The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald just to torment Voldie.
ZianaSue chapter 5 . 9/5/2020
This chapter is an example of the power of hindsight.
Caramel4me chapter 85 . 8/27/2020
This has got to be one of my favorite fics I have ever read. And I have probably read wayyy too many at this point haha. Thank you so much for this amazing story! The story line, characters, writing style - all of it! I was a bit intimidated at first when I saw how long BUT OMG I WISH IS WAS LONGER! I would Love to read a sequel even though I know it's been a long time and you probably won't I just thought I'd put that out there :). And now I'm off to see what other beautiful fics you may have graced us all with! Thank you!
SomethingReallyWitty chapter 85 . 8/8/2020
Please write a sequel! I can't get enough!
Tsubaki-Akai chapter 85 . 7/13/2020
Hi! Thank you so much for this epic tale. Truly brilliant.
Speaker-to-Customers chapter 11 . 6/25/2020
Sorry, Jean, I'm giving up on this because it's just too depressing. Beautifully written but so downbeat that if I read the whole 880,000 words I'd probably commit suicide. Also, the revelations in the later books contradict your version of character backgrounds so much that it's jarring. You have been what we in the Buffyverse fandom referred to as 'Jossed'.
Guest chapter 85 . 6/20/2020
please do write a sequel
TiaM chapter 85 . 4/9/2020
Hello! I just finished this and really enjoyed it. I hope you finish what I think is the sequel sometime soon!
DeadFish37 chapter 85 . 3/1/2020
Very much worth reading, right through to the end. It's a shame the sequel is still in its infancy, but I will certainly be reading it.
2,896 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »