Reviews for Fate of Frailty
Aiselne Phoenix Nocturnus chapter 25 . 2/22/2010
I’ve always been interested in Rubedo and Nigredo’s lives during the 14-year gap between the Miltian Conflict and Episode 1. Yet, post-Miltian Conflict/Pre-Episode 1 stories don’t seem to be excruciatingly popular in this fandom (or at least, I haven’t found many). Needless to say, I’m thrilled to have found this story of yours. _

First of all, character portrayals are excellent. Nobody ever felt OOC in this story. Plus, considering this fic’s rather large cast, the main characters and the supporting characters get very balanced and active roles in this fic. Even some of the OCs retain their own special importance in this fic, so nobody feels tacked-on or left to fill in the background. It was particularly nice to see the paternal side of Helmer, and whenever he, the U.R.T.V.s, and the Godwins would be together like a family.

More specifically, I really enjoyed Gaignun and Jr.’s relationship in this fic, especially whenever a problem arose. Immediately, they would seek each other’s mind for advice/support/input. It’s obviously second nature for the telepathic brothers, while it also proves how close the U.R.T.V.s are, and how much they rely on each other. And considering Rubedo and Nigredo were all each other had after the Conflict, your story really brings out the brother’s closeness superbly.

Hands down, I applaud Mary and Shelley’s roles in this fanfic. I adore the Godwins, and yet those poor girls almost never get the attention they deserve! What a wonderful surprise it was for me to see a huge percentage of this fanfic get devoted to the highly overlooked Mary and Shelley. It was a true treat to read about the girls’ lives: rescued & living with the Kukais, maturing, and searching for information on their family. And for total fangirl squee, Mary’s crush on Jr. was utterly precious! *.* Really, I must thank you for bringing out the best in the Godwins.

The attention to detail in this fic didn’t go unnoticed. It was fascinating to read about the nitty-gritty details involved in the construction of both the Kukai Foundation and the Durandal. Your story never “fast-forwarded” over the construction details, so the reader can come to better appreciate the effort Gaignun and Jr. put into the Kukai Foundation. Plus, it was quite sweet to see the U.R.T.V.s grow individual fondness for the foundation, going from a political project to a real home. I particularly liked how Rubedo’s early participation in the foundation was indirect: behind the scenes, minutely detached, but he takes center stage upon the construction of the Durandal (“overcompensation” ... *smirks and claps* ...loved that one ).

Lastly, I want to comment on this fic’s writing. Not only is your writing style great, but the pacing in this fanfic is crisp and dynamic. Though chapters are generally short, each episode usually contains snippets of what most characters are doing to keep readers constantly updated (and that’s not always easy to do in a story containing a large cast, either). Time is never wasted, and the story chronicles so many genres of drama, romance, adventure, and angst. You’ve written a very well-rounded, well-paced fanfic here.

All in all, excellent story. I’m not the type of person to relentlessly hound authors to finish an incomplete stoy...though I’d be lying if I claimed I wasn’t a tiny bit saddened to know this lovely story is unfinished. But as is, this fic has more than enough redeeming qualities, and the enjoyment I got out of these 25 chapters is something I won’t soon forget. Excellent work!
miawpyon chapter 25 . 9/8/2009
Was this story dropped? :( Too bad~ I thought this really interesting
too-much-inspiration chapter 25 . 11/16/2007
This is certainly getting very interesting and exciting! I look forward to reading the next few chapters!
Fily chapter 25 . 12/5/2006
Goodness me I adore this ficlet. You've amazingly kept in character, have a decent plot and can actually write. I love the xeno series to pieces, but there are so very few decent fics out there to read. I congratulate you on your work. (My fav characters being the U.R.T.V's so I adore you more!)

I honestly hope that your inspiration still lingers for this piece and it will be updated again soon. It's such an awful place, for the reader, to stop. I'd love to know what's going on. Of course, if it doesn't, you still entertained me for some time whilst I read. Thank you.
Lang Noi chapter 25 . 8/3/2006
Karen Hart ~

*picks up something that is undeniably very heavy and flings it in the general direction of the terrorists*

...

*sounds of someone being squished* Dunno why, but it seems that the URTVs never seem to get a break. By URTVs, I mostly mean the Variants, since there never really was anything to attach the audience to the general types.

I mean, Albedo went insane (and died by his big brother's hand), Gaignun's getting possessed by Yuriev throughout the second and third games, and Jr.'s had to do a lot of things that were probably very unpleasant.

But then, they probably wouldn't be so endearing to the audience if they'd had an easy time of it.

Okay, on to the main review. First up - why doesn't Gaignun anticipate and thus avoid the terrorists' trap? Secondly, are Realians imune to whatever the heck that gas is (though for story purposes, I doubt it)? Oh, and are the terrorists really just U-TIC flunkies?

Also - spelling and puncuation-wise - you seem to be doing pretty well. No doubt someone will complain about the shortness of each chapter, but stories can be upgraded more frequently if the chapters are of a manageable size (I know from experience).

I'm actually mildly surprised that this story hasn't gotten very many reviews. While it isn't a standout in terms of length, the plot is coherent and everyone seems to be in-character (though I may not be the best judge of the latter).

Anyways, happy writings and many reviews to you!

~ Sheby
The Tesseract Seraph chapter 25 . 8/1/2006
oh cliffhanger.

Now is the time we do the dance of joy for an update! Totally awesome.
The Tesseract Seraph chapter 24 . 7/19/2006
Oh my.

So I read this on 100's recommendation (since I'm scheming a story of my own that covers the same period from...another point of view, oh ho), and I have to say, I'm glad I did! You do a wonderful job with it, and it's kept my attention quite well so far. I can't wait for the next installment!
thundever1 chapter 24 . 3/15/2006
great story please update soon
100-series chapter 24 . 2/15/2006
Kari! *huggle glomps* Its good to know that its just a computer problem. I hope that you can get it fixed soon. We have missed you very much! I hope that you recieved my letter, and that it was amusing and not just reeally weird. But anyway, this chapter is great! SUSPENSE whoo! And also "...a sudden, bizarrely familiar surge coursing through him before it was shoved down again." This made me giggle uncontrollably.
Rodarian chapter 23 . 12/16/2005
Welcome back! :D Yours is one of the precious few stories I avidly read in Xenosaga Fan fics. Hopefully Jr Plan works! As for Gaigun, I'm definitely sure he can bring a one up on the enemies from stealing th Durandal.
PsychoLeopard chapter 22 . 10/31/2005
Hm...this is really well-written, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I hope you're a fast updator! (I've just started reading Xenosaga fics)
eSJa chapter 20 . 9/27/2005
*Stab* Yay! It finally let you update. _ Well I must say this is certainly a cliff-hanger chapter. I love it as usual, but now I can't wait for Jr to get out there and kick some ss!

Did I miss it, or is the Lorant the Elsa's pre-cursor? Anyway you look at it, good stuff.
NeoChick chapter 1 . 9/13/2005
Hey KChan! I finally got off my lazy butt and started reading your story, must say it's great so far great stuff indeed. I always wondered about this until like a month ago when I replayed XS and read about the fact that Mary and Shelly were tested on. I was unwear of this so when I read it in stories I'm like, wow that's really good addition to the story, feel stupid now for it. Anyway, loving it! Fabulous

Smiles,

Neo
thequietgenius chapter 18 . 9/9/2005
Very discriptive. I love this! Especially the part where Mary kisses Jr. _~ It would be so awesome if this turned out to be a . But I know that's not the main point of this story. It's still cool anyway. Keep up the good work.
eSJa chapter 16 . 9/6/2005
Overcommpensation...I love it! Funny chapter, choas is storing info on our boys huh? I wonder why? Anyhow, much goodness as usual, can't wait for the next chapter.