Reviews for Of Boys and Monsters
Shani chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
This is an amazing piece of work. It really is like a psychiatric evaluation. Itachi is such a wonderfully complex character and really what child of his intelligence would enjoy being used as a tool? I love your portrayal of Shisui as well. Anyway Kudos on an excellent read!
Sterling Persuasion chapter 1 . 3/2/2006
my little brain cannot hope to comprehend. -_-;
GSYH chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
I still don't know what to think of Itachi's head, but you pretty much got my thoughts on the Uchiha clan, they were weaker than Itachi and they relied on him, especially his father.
HM Y chapter 1 . 9/6/2005
This was some good shit, man. Awesome
Tank chapter 1 . 8/28/2005
Yup. This just about fits my idea of how Itachi went down the dark side.
Fantastical Queen Ebony Black chapter 1 . 7/17/2005
loverly. *adds to C2*
Geno Calamari chapter 1 . 7/13/2005
::scratches the back of his head::

Er… Sorry. I don't mean to make it seem easy, because it isn't. I just have an advantage over you as I'm a man and definitely rank on that sociopath scale you mention. My Itachi is actually a facet of my personality, one that I never let wander around and inflict itself on others. However, I also believe that Itachi's reasoning is probably pretty cut-and-dried. Irony is something I figure he enjoys, but I don't see a lot of antagonizing over decisions or grieving or indecision in Itachi. He's the poster-boy for form-over-function and action instead of negotiation. But that's neither here nor there.

As for Shisui, I have the same problem you do, my mind just reads it as 'sushi' and that gets confusing. So I try to avoid using his name.

As for your story, I loved it. I'm very fond of what you did with Shisui, because I always saw Shisui as an apple-polishing, go-getter for the clan, rather than someone who might have a degree of independence (well… I guess that's the wrong way to describe that, seeing how that turned out.) This makes him far more relevant than 'Just some guy Itachi offs.'

I thought the origin of Itachi's facial scars to be very clever. Gouging out his own eyes was something I never considered before. (Partially because just the thought of doing it to myself makes my stomach turn.)

Other than that, I thought a few parts were very difficult to follow, so I can only imagine how hard they were to write. Like, the abstract fight scene between Itachi and Shisui. In the end, though, I think this is a very cohesive piece and humanizes Itachi quite nicely (in all his strange inhumanity, that is.)

::applause::

Bravo.

- Geno Calamari
Sweet Anime Fan chapter 1 . 7/10/2005
This fic is AMAZING! I can't begin to describe just how detailed and believable this truly great idea of yours is. Itachi is definately (well probably) the hardest person to understand and here you give a probable view. I mean a lot of people have the "Itachi only wants to be free" idea but you explain this idea yet also explore it even further. Sometimes I wonder if even Kishimoto knows the motives of his own character. It's a headache just trying to think of Itachi's motives. I applaud you on your very well written effort! _ This is definately going on my favs!
HawkofLight chapter 1 . 7/9/2005
I am simply speechless with awe at what you have managed to accomplish in this one-shot story. Itachi is one of the most difficult characters to write, yet you are one of the few authors I have seen who most definitely captured him in character. It's when I look at it and say "That is DEFINITELY Itachi", absolutely no out of character moments at all. You have managed to make people empathize with his character while simultaneously marveling at his psychopathic mind.

I would definitely agree with you in that this should be characterized as more of a "Psychological Drama" than anything else. Moreoever, the story made me think, for example your last line was very poignant and had incredible depth: "And when that time comes, Uchiha Itachi will get to test his humanity, and see what monsters he could create with such powerful eyes." I especially like the "test his humanity" line as if Itachi is trying to see his limits as to being what a human is especially when you contrast it with what you wrote in one of the first sentences: "Uchiha Itachi is human." It brings it to a nice circle and gives the story good symmetry.

I noticed the theme of the dead being the only company that Itachi prefers again and again which gives you a chill. When you were describing his eyes during the Shisui portion and then referenced it again at the end, it made me think in that "Oh wow. There's something much more here." It seemed like his complete loss of humanity happened when he killed Shisui.

Wow this was just an unbelievable story. I really hope you make more like this or perhaps make another chronicle about Itachi. You definitely know how to keep him in character which is pretty rare here. I look forward to more of your stories in the future.
Vampire Toy chapter 1 . 7/9/2005
*_* That was amazing, I lvoe how you wrote Itachi, perfectly in-character great job :D