Reviews for Ringthoughts
WhyMustIWrite chapter 1 . 6/2/2013
What a clever idea; and the execution was well done. How awful to see the ring seducing Boromir from this twisted perspective. You were unabashed about the flaws that made Boromir susceptible to temptation, without ignoring his many good qualities. I felt terrible for him, when the ring resumed its stalking after giving him a night's peace (due to trying to tempt Galadriel).
I'm not familiar enough with the LotR universe to recognize who "Them" and "Him" are (the Them and Him who help Faramir, and who Galadriel wanted to please). Any chance you can shed some light on that for me in a reply?
I love that Faramir was much tougher for the ring, and yet not without exploitable points himself. I believe that a large part of Faramir's success against the ring was his humility- that he didn't want to "see it, or touch it, or know more of it than I know...lest peril perchance waylay me and I fall lower in the test than Frodo son of Drogo." He proved his strength not by battling against the ring, but by refusing to engage it.
Update chapter 1 . 3/30/2007
Holy Cow! This is really awesome! Maybe you could put in something about Gollum/Smeagol?
phyloxena chapter 1 . 2/23/2007
That one is scary. I wonder how this speach sounded from the victim's(?) perspective? Had Boromir heard this words or something else? So you think the momemt then Faramit stood up and spoce about the mn under his command was the moment of temptation?
Celebne chapter 1 . 2/23/2007
Great idea! The Ring is the thinking main character. And the Ring bangs its head against a brick wall, when he meets Faramir. Great written.
Larner chapter 1 . 11/29/2006
Ah, how wonderful a tale from the Ring's own POV. And it fails with Boromir, and does even worse with his brother.

And HE helped Faramir keep true.

As for the Ring thinking it has the upper hand-well, we know what happened there, don't we?

Very well done, my friend.
Rugi chapter 1 . 7/30/2006
Oh this was very fun. I love your portrayal of it's method of tempting the various members of the Fellowship. I felt really bad for Boromir though - he was such a sweet person before.
Altariel chapter 1 . 11/27/2005
As I said in a review for another story, I love seeing Faramir through other people's eyes, and this is a very clever perspective. The Ring's voice sounded very orcish, but slyer.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 10/6/2005
This was very clever and well written, I especially enjoyed this line "Hmm. Surprising. Not really the same flavour. Pride yes, but not the most helpful sort of pride. There’s a sour, wizardly overtone about this one. And a nasty aftertaste reminiscent of Aragorn. Ugh"
Rosie26 chapter 1 . 8/27/2005
This is simply wonderful. I love it! Very original and really well written. Going straight on to my Favourites.
Lilan chapter 1 . 7/12/2005
Hmm... do not know if I was supposed to laugh over it, but I did. Poor Ring!

A very unexpected idea, Sauron taking revenge on Faramir for resisting the Ring's call.

But, in fact, the whole thing is creepy. You have made the Ring sound like a silly kid, toying with people at its pleasure, making light of their problems... In fact, this slightly humorous cue was very appropriate, for was it not a pretty toy for Sauron, a shiny tool to get a bigger prize?

An excellent piece.

Regards,

Lilan
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 7/11/2005
Very tasty story! You really captured the voice of the One Ring very well. I loved the way it viewed the members of the Fellowship; and the glee with which it stalked poor Boromir and later, unsuccessfully, Faramir.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 1 . 7/11/2005
Ooh, nice. You have the right mix of understanding of the characters and immediacy of prose to make it a wonderous piece, indeed.

If you go under your profile and edit your summary, it'll come up right on the main page... eventually. The Pit's slow sometimes. The same goes for the story itself, but you have to download the text from the web or your original draft and reload it under "replace chapter" to fix it.