Reviews for Once Upon A Strongbow
ArcherCentauress chapter 7 . 4/4
I hope you still read reviews in 2015, because I would just love to say how much I enjoyed this story, as well as "For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree." You write beautifully, and I want to click on another one right now! But maybe I will wait until after doing my Calculus...
Thanks,
ArcherCentauress
I hope to get a account soon : )
Lorieniel chapter 1 . 2/22
Wow... A lovely story as always. I love all your works, especially "For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree" and this one. They are, quite simply, the two best stories of this genre that I have EVER read. I love the story of Beleg Cúthalion and Túrin Turambar, and this story gives little bits and pieces of that tale, thank you! Well... I sometimes like the story. Mostly, it just gets me depressed. But this fanfic really did Tolkien's world justice, which is not something that many authors can do.

To Alassiel, several reviews below me:
I find your state of knowledge on all things Tolkien rather amusing, because it almost exactly describes MY understanding of Arda, its history, and its languages. Although, I can forget about forty years, I think I fell in love with Middle Earth about a grand total of four MONTHS ago. Yet I still understand sooo much about his works, I have a Sindarin vocabulary of several hundred words and roots (and their meanings), I can write fluently in tengwar, the script of the elves (my favored mode is that of Beleriand), I have a simply ABSURD learning of geneologies of the elves (did you know Finwë was related to Aragorn?), and to top it all off, I know their name meanings too. All of them, and each elf has at least two names, and Maedhros has FIVE. Ouch, sometimes I even confuse myself. I also love the name Alassiel. "Maiden of joy," very nice. I always choose an elven epessë to write reviews under too.

Haha. I wish I weren't so good at memorizing stuff.

Namárië,
Lórieniel
Guest chapter 7 . 12/10/2013
REMARKABLE tale!
Legolas is my absolute HERO!
gginsc chapter 7 . 8/2/2011
Enjoyed your story.
thehoodedface chapter 7 . 3/6/2011
U hold true to ur word...this story was refreshing...another job excellently done:)
Alassiel chapter 7 . 1/30/2011
Forty years ago this month, I fell in love with the Eldar. Well,figuratively at any rate, but from the beginning, it was the kind oflove exhibited in close friendship, not romantic love. The love began with the scene in which Frodo and company met Gildor and company and continues even today. Now I express the love by studying the Eldarin languages and writing tales. So, when I saw the summary of your tale, I read it with delight, and I was not disappointed. I thought the two sets of children listening to the Elven and Human caregivers were lovely, and the stories flowed seamlessly into one another. When I read _The Silmarillion_ for the first time, I was deeply moved by the tale of Beleg's friendship with Turin. I also loved the meeting of Finrod with the people of Beor. Perhaps that Adan was more in awe of than in friendship with the king, but said king never lost his love of that people and sacrificed his life for Beren. So, thank you for a lovely tale. I hope there may be more installments.

Sincerely, Alassiel
Jedi Sapphire chapter 7 . 8/25/2008
I just found this story and I loved it! It's so sweet to see Aragorn telling the story to his grandchildren.

And the elfling was Legolas! I never guessed until the elven father advised him to be wary of men. :)
Faithfulpurelight chapter 7 . 2/14/2008
Did I not tell you you would not be rid of me so easily? *is being a little cheeky*

Again another wonderful wonderful story. it is adorable and I think that it fits perfectly. ] I can not wait to read more from you.

Namarie!
StarLight9 chapter 7 . 9/12/2007
I am almost screaming with joy right now - this is so good, so beautiful!

/I would also be willing to be friends with a Man when I grow up. I will also find a good human friend, like Beleg did./ - This is the point where I guessed that the little elf was Legolas, and his friend Hamille :D I should have guessed earlier - of course Hamille likes chestnuts, I had forgotten!

I was happy to see the child showing more wisdom than his father. And I was even happier to see his father learn something from his son. When Thranduil says that there will probably be Beleg and Turin in any age, this was one of the best lines in fanfiction ever. We can only hope that Beleg and Turin will always live, in any land, in any time.

I remember that when I submitted a review to the second chapter, you told me to reread it after I finish the story. I'll do that now... *returns* Oh, I see. I thought that the elven father and Aragorn were telling the story together, on the same night. Silly me :) I'm glad I was wrong - the story is much better this way. Little Legolas learns from the tale and becomes Beleg himself. Wonderful. The story is great and unpredictable :D

I will miss your stories A LOT! I'll read the extended epilogue, and after that I'll do everything in my power to make you write another story ;-) Just wanted to warn you... :D

Hugs,

Twinkly
StarLight9 chapter 6 . 9/12/2007
:-D /Ada waited, glad that his son had exercised restraint. “But…?” he prompted.

“But I had no more chestnuts,” the elfling admitted./ - I really doubled over with laughter at that and couldn't stop for a few minutes :-) I'm so happy I'm alone in the room :)

It is really wonderful how you relate the friendship of the two elfings to the friendship of Beleg and Turin. True, as Aragorn says in this chapter, true friendship can be found in any age. I love the way he keeps comparing Legolas to Beleg.

Since the beginning of the story I kept wondering if you are going to come to the end, if you will think that the elflings and the Peas are old enough to hear about Beleg's death. So the elfling heard the story, and the Peas didn't - I think it was a good choice.

Once again, when I read a story of yours, I either laugh or cry (or both). I am unable to remain untouched.

Hugs and kisses,

Twinkly
StarLight9 chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Ah, you have fully explored all aspects of friendship - trust, patience and respect, and now forgiveness. And once again the children learn something (in this case to forgive their grandfather for not telling a story earlier :D). It was very sweet when the children asked 'Were you friends again?' It is really amusing how children think that friendship is formed in simple words such as 'let's be friends' or 'I'm not your friend anymore' or 'let's be friends again'. They can't understand that you do not need to declare friendship, you cannot become someone's friend by calling them a friend, or by deciding to be their friend. Friendship needs to be felt. You cannot decide to be someone's friend and become one, it needs to grow with time. I can see why Aragorn was surprised when he replied 'we never stopped being friends.' Of course, real friends never stop being friends.

Alright, enough of my friendship musings, I wanted to tell you that I really missed 'For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree' after I finished it, so I was so happy to see a passage of it here :) I had almost forgotten how good it was :D
StarLight9 chapter 4 . 9/11/2007
There is something in this chapter that made me a great impression although it looks really little and insignificant and isn't connected to the main idea. It is when the elven child tells his father "But no one tells stories about the two friends as well as you do." What I find interesting is that I could say exactly the same thing about you. I have read many great stories by many great authors, but still I can easily say this:

No one tells stories of the two friends as well as you do!

And it is not enough for a story to be interesting by itself, the storyteller must also be good to make it enjoyable. But you are not only the best storyteller I have read stories by, you also always come with very interesting plots (such as the explanation about what that dead man was doing on the Path of the Dead, I still cannot understand how anyone could think of something so great... but I should have learned by now to expect everything from you).

The elven child being embarrassed when his father places him in his lap was very sweet :) Typical of children.

The comparison between Beleg teaching Turin to use a bow and Legolas teaching Aragorn was really well written. And now the two elflings and the two 'Peas' have learned another lesson - friendship is also about patience and respect. Beautiful, as always.
StarLight9 chapter 3 . 9/11/2007
I read this chapter a couple of minutes ago, but I needed some time to get my laughter under control :D That was such an amuzing chapter! I could easily visualize the pumpkin clothes :) Lol, I didn't know that elves were celebrating conception day - I learned something new :) And, most of all, I loved the way you compared the friendship of the two little elves to that of Beleg and Turin, showing that they could also keep secrets and deserve each other's trust. This chapter was a great lesson of what friendship is all about. I'll read the rest soon!
sazza-da-vampire chapter 7 . 8/26/2007
and whaddaya know, it's just before bedtime (if i bother to pry myself away from so many well-written tales, anyway) and your story is awesome!

actually, i didn't figure out until the end that the two parts weren't the same time, i thought that Ada was Legolas and the Elfling his son... LOL

it's beautifully written!
StarLight9 chapter 2 . 7/22/2007
After reading your first chapter I prepared myself for an amazing second one, but, of course, once again, this was much beter than I imagined :-) I absolutely loved the parallel storytelling, the way a human and an elven family tell the same story together, on the same night even though they are separated by lands and cultures. Friendship is something universal and it appeals to everyone, no matter land or race.

I love the way you do the children - they are believable and so sweetly innocent. It was brilliant when they were horrified because Beleg had to wander in the woods with no toys :-)