Reviews for Once Upon A Strongbow
TimeturnerJasmy chapter 7 . 7/20
Ah, I suspected that the elfling might be a young Legolas. It's a wonderful parallel to the old Aragorn, reminiscing over their times together. I love it when a good story comes full circle. :D
Lotrfn chapter 7 . 3/7
This was great. I loved the back and forth of the parallel stories.
Ellistar chapter 7 . 12/6/2015
This is an amazing story. I loved your idea
Stormcutter684 chapter 7 . 8/13/2015
Oh my gosh! Mellon nîn! This is a genius idea! I love it. Even though the story of Túrin and Beleg breaks my heart, I still find it a lovely (yet tragic) story. And I love how you melded Aragorn and Thranduil's storytelling together. all along I was trying hard to figure out who the 'Elven storyteller' was, and I thought perhaps Legolas, until the end. Of course it was Thranduil! The Chestnut story situation kind of gave me a hint though. This is brilliant, and it gave me tears to my eyes.
I also love the prospect of Aragorn being a grandfather. It's cute! There was emotion, and much quiet thought reflecting pensiveness. Sweetpea and Greenpea were also very adorable! So innocent and curious. Little Legoals was adorable too.
I love it, amazing job. Hannon le, mellon nîn!
ArcherCentauress chapter 7 . 4/4/2015
I hope you still read reviews in 2015, because I would just love to say how much I enjoyed this story, as well as "For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree." You write beautifully, and I want to click on another one right now! But maybe I will wait until after doing my Calculus...
Thanks,
ArcherCentauress
I hope to get a account soon : )
Lorieniel chapter 1 . 2/22/2015
Wow... A lovely story as always. I love all your works, especially "For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree" and this one. They are, quite simply, the two best stories of this genre that I have EVER read. I love the story of Beleg Cúthalion and Túrin Turambar, and this story gives little bits and pieces of that tale, thank you! Well... I sometimes like the story. Mostly, it just gets me depressed. But this fanfic really did Tolkien's world justice, which is not something that many authors can do.

To Alassiel, several reviews below me:
I find your state of knowledge on all things Tolkien rather amusing, because it almost exactly describes MY understanding of Arda, its history, and its languages. Although, I can forget about forty years, I think I fell in love with Middle Earth about a grand total of four MONTHS ago. Yet I still understand sooo much about his works, I have a Sindarin vocabulary of several hundred words and roots (and their meanings), I can write fluently in tengwar, the script of the elves (my favored mode is that of Beleriand), I have a simply ABSURD learning of geneologies of the elves (did you know Finwë was related to Aragorn?), and to top it all off, I know their name meanings too. All of them, and each elf has at least two names, and Maedhros has FIVE. Ouch, sometimes I even confuse myself. I also love the name Alassiel. "Maiden of joy," very nice. I always choose an elven epessë to write reviews under too.

Haha. I wish I weren't so good at memorizing stuff.

Namárië,
Lórieniel
Guest chapter 7 . 12/10/2013
REMARKABLE tale!
Legolas is my absolute HERO!
gginsc chapter 7 . 8/2/2011
Enjoyed your story.
thehoodedface chapter 7 . 3/6/2011
U hold true to ur word...this story was refreshing...another job excellently done:)
Alassiel chapter 7 . 1/30/2011
Forty years ago this month, I fell in love with the Eldar. Well,figuratively at any rate, but from the beginning, it was the kind oflove exhibited in close friendship, not romantic love. The love began with the scene in which Frodo and company met Gildor and company and continues even today. Now I express the love by studying the Eldarin languages and writing tales. So, when I saw the summary of your tale, I read it with delight, and I was not disappointed. I thought the two sets of children listening to the Elven and Human caregivers were lovely, and the stories flowed seamlessly into one another. When I read _The Silmarillion_ for the first time, I was deeply moved by the tale of Beleg's friendship with Turin. I also loved the meeting of Finrod with the people of Beor. Perhaps that Adan was more in awe of than in friendship with the king, but said king never lost his love of that people and sacrificed his life for Beren. So, thank you for a lovely tale. I hope there may be more installments.

Sincerely, Alassiel
Jedi Sapphire chapter 7 . 8/25/2008
I just found this story and I loved it! It's so sweet to see Aragorn telling the story to his grandchildren.

And the elfling was Legolas! I never guessed until the elven father advised him to be wary of men. :)
Faithfulpurelight chapter 7 . 2/14/2008
Did I not tell you you would not be rid of me so easily? *is being a little cheeky*

Again another wonderful wonderful story. it is adorable and I think that it fits perfectly. ] I can not wait to read more from you.

Namarie!
StarLight9 chapter 7 . 9/12/2007
I am almost screaming with joy right now - this is so good, so beautiful!

/I would also be willing to be friends with a Man when I grow up. I will also find a good human friend, like Beleg did./ - This is the point where I guessed that the little elf was Legolas, and his friend Hamille :D I should have guessed earlier - of course Hamille likes chestnuts, I had forgotten!

I was happy to see the child showing more wisdom than his father. And I was even happier to see his father learn something from his son. When Thranduil says that there will probably be Beleg and Turin in any age, this was one of the best lines in fanfiction ever. We can only hope that Beleg and Turin will always live, in any land, in any time.

I remember that when I submitted a review to the second chapter, you told me to reread it after I finish the story. I'll do that now... *returns* Oh, I see. I thought that the elven father and Aragorn were telling the story together, on the same night. Silly me :) I'm glad I was wrong - the story is much better this way. Little Legolas learns from the tale and becomes Beleg himself. Wonderful. The story is great and unpredictable :D

I will miss your stories A LOT! I'll read the extended epilogue, and after that I'll do everything in my power to make you write another story ;-) Just wanted to warn you... :D

Hugs,

Twinkly
StarLight9 chapter 6 . 9/12/2007
:-D /Ada waited, glad that his son had exercised restraint. “But…?” he prompted.

“But I had no more chestnuts,” the elfling admitted./ - I really doubled over with laughter at that and couldn't stop for a few minutes :-) I'm so happy I'm alone in the room :)

It is really wonderful how you relate the friendship of the two elfings to the friendship of Beleg and Turin. True, as Aragorn says in this chapter, true friendship can be found in any age. I love the way he keeps comparing Legolas to Beleg.

Since the beginning of the story I kept wondering if you are going to come to the end, if you will think that the elflings and the Peas are old enough to hear about Beleg's death. So the elfling heard the story, and the Peas didn't - I think it was a good choice.

Once again, when I read a story of yours, I either laugh or cry (or both). I am unable to remain untouched.

Hugs and kisses,

Twinkly
StarLight9 chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Ah, you have fully explored all aspects of friendship - trust, patience and respect, and now forgiveness. And once again the children learn something (in this case to forgive their grandfather for not telling a story earlier :D). It was very sweet when the children asked 'Were you friends again?' It is really amusing how children think that friendship is formed in simple words such as 'let's be friends' or 'I'm not your friend anymore' or 'let's be friends again'. They can't understand that you do not need to declare friendship, you cannot become someone's friend by calling them a friend, or by deciding to be their friend. Friendship needs to be felt. You cannot decide to be someone's friend and become one, it needs to grow with time. I can see why Aragorn was surprised when he replied 'we never stopped being friends.' Of course, real friends never stop being friends.

Alright, enough of my friendship musings, I wanted to tell you that I really missed 'For the Love of the Lord of the White Tree' after I finished it, so I was so happy to see a passage of it here :) I had almost forgotten how good it was :D