Reviews for 17: Wildcats
barb from utah chapter 5 . 7/16/2005
I like the insight into Virgil's past. How he tried to please people even if it wasn't something he really wanted to do. The fact his brothers were willing to help even if they didn't think he could. The girls and the bear showed different sides of him.
darkhelmetj chapter 5 . 7/15/2005
You know what? I think this is my favourite story of yours so far. We've been blessed with stories about John and Scott and Penny and everyone else, but it's *Virgil* that really stands out with your characterization. He's such a conflicted boy - football over music - and yet he's often left in the shadows. Teena and Sharie are a wonderful way to show the boys in a new light as well. It's true how Virgil would see John as his brother, not as a person in the eyes of others. I'm interested, though, in what Five did to muck things up here? I'm probably just missing a subtly somewhere. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next story! Onward!
Mad-Friend chapter 5 . 7/15/2005
Whew, that was nail biting stuff. You had me scared and relieved in one go. Glad the boys are okay, at least it'll wash off with no lasting damage. I liked the way Grant reacted to both bits of news.
Mad-Friend chapter 2 . 7/15/2005
From the way you've described Virgil drawing, I wonder if you are an artist too. It shows through in the way you've written him. Nice work Math Girl. I'm intrigued to know why John is sad.
Mad-Friend chapter 1 . 7/15/2005
I like this, Mathgirl. Your style of writing draws the reader subtlely in, before you know it, you're relaxing and absorbing it almost as if one were listening to a narrative. The bit about Virgil's workout made me smile. Small steps, Virgil. Small steps. Nice to see the closeness of the brothers showing through.
Tikatu chapter 5 . 7/14/2005
It's hard to believe, after all this story, that Virgil is only 12. He seems so much more mature than this throughout the whole tale. An indicator of how much growing up he has had to do, losing his mother, his father (to an extent), and a brother (or so he thinks), and living in a situation where he is expected to be more grown up with people who don't coddle.

Wonderful portrayal of Grant throughout the story. Gruff, loving, down to earth; you understand just how much Victoria misses him in your other stories.

A wonderful read and a great insight into the things that shaped Virgil. Kudos!
Tikatu chapter 4 . 7/14/2005
A very revealing contrast of two brothers here: one who plans everything to the last detail and one who, in some respects, is more content to let things roll off him like water off a duck's back.

The action with the bear was very visual and very visceral. You could see the bear rising up before the boys and understand how they were both struck speechless and motionless in the viewing of it.

And of course Grandma knew there were girls, two of them, out in the barn. Grandmas know everything, and Victoria Tracy is no exception. Nice way she had of putting Grant off, too.
Tikatu chapter 3 . 7/14/2005
Here I am chuckling over the fact that Virgil just doesn't get it. A young man with an artistic eye just can't see the slight differences in the two girls. The young man with the ear for music just can't hear the inevitable difference in tone and nuance of their voices. The girls are playing him well, that's for sure.

The line "Would you do something you didn’t really like, just to make somebody else happy?” makes you wonder if the reason he is working in IR is for the same reason he plays football.
Tikatu chapter 2 . 7/14/2005
Here we get the introduction to the real reason Tin-Tin may not get what she wants: the twins. Virgil's artistic side is shown so clearly here, both in the music that keeps running through his head and the readiness of pencil and paper, with the sole desire to get the image in front of him out of his mind and onto the paper, perfect.

His interaction with John is also an eye-opener for us and for him. Your John has seemed so cold in many respects, but here we see the underlying sadness and emptiness that created the thick walls he put around himself. And more importantly, Virgil sees them, too. Nice vignette here.
Tikatu chapter 1 . 7/14/2005
A very cool chapter, showing us exactly how Virgil got to be so strong, strong enough to do the things he does in IR. The imagery here of the mountains and the ranch are really great. You can see the scenery in your mind's eye. The point about John and the horses is such an excellent connection; in many ways he turns out to be a sleek thoroughbred of a man himself.

Don't know what Five did to change the timeline, but the story is welcome!