Reviews for In Search of Lost Time
LandoLady chapter 17 . 11/27/2014
Such an inventive and haunting story! I know it's been years, but are you ever going to write that sequel you talked about? Please? I'd love to be your beta reader if you do...
julesgriffith chapter 1 . 11/3/2013
Hi Carrie A! Don't have your email since you don't have an account, so I hope you see this!

Thanks for all the reviews-I wrote this story my senior year in undergrad and really haven't looked at it since then! It was originally posted on the Dr. Quinn message board. From what I remember, it ticked off a bunch of fans for its lack of faithfulness to the show/characters and some of the more "edgier" story threads. I got a lot of angry feedback; but I totally enjoyed writing it, so the naysayers never stopped me.

I'm so glad you are enjoying it! It's very gratifying that it can still give joy/anger/confusion/delight so many years later. That said, I don't remember the storyline at all :/

The corrections are great, but I'm not going to take the time to edit this unless someone wants to pay me for the story ;)

I hope you continue to enjoy it!
Carrie A chapter 7 . 11/3/2013
OK, you know what would make this a great TV series? If you had it totally narrated by Stephen and, from the beginning, you had him and the librarian becoming friends and talking out the story a little every day from across the table in the library. It would be the perfect way to introduce each flashback, specify each different time frame that you're jumping to, while letting Stephen fill in the blanks here and there! With just a few insertions of Stephen segments into this, it would make a fantastic novel! Seriously!
OK, now I'm going to read and post another when I get to the bottom of this page, LOL.
Carrie A chapter 6 . 11/3/2013
At the top, before I forget, where One Eye first confronts them and demands the food. The line says:
"Sully glared at One Eye. He hadn't taken his eyes off of Michaela. He knew that look of a man, and it sent chills running down his spin." Should be spine.

Ch33 - Paragraph that begins with "Michaela covered her eyes" you wrote 'her concaved figured' it should be 'figure'.

1863 - Sully and Mike are fighting in the teepee when he returns from killing One Eye. The line begins: "Her eyes widened in utter disbelief and shock. She couldn't believe he would pin her arms down like some kid of brute." Should be 'kind'.
Very next paragraph after this area, "But when he did, he's knees buckled right out from under him" should be 'his'.
"So I guess our vows were just words then?" Sully leaned his forehead against his-should be against hers.

ch34 - "Inad stepped forward and put her arms low around Andy's waist. "C'mon, Andy, I'll make it worth your wile." Should be 'while'.

ok, enough corrections; this is so compelling! Stephen Sully!? OMG, how I'd always wished that Sully would have had a son! (Thank you for not naming him Josef as so many other fanfics do!) I'm really enjoying the tragedy these characters are going through - they are well rounded, this is all well thought out and, even though it jumps around quite a bit, I'm able to keep up. A bit like "The Time Traveler's Wife" - I heard some needed to write notes as they read that, and those ppl might need notes for this because the jumps aren't always clear, but I'm right there with you. It's still a hauntingly dramatic love story even though it's tinted with sadness...poor Abigail! Loving it; well done!
Carrie A chapter 5 . 11/2/2013
So touching! It's all well done...the only strange thing is that, when they leave, after Michaela is shot, they walk home in the winter?! With the wagon gone, the only means was on that time of year, from Boston, is the reader to assume they walked from Boston? Or did they take the train back to St. Louis and walk from there? It's not clear and, although I understand winter isn't always the same in different parts of the country, it just doesn't sound logical. Michaela would at least have enough to buy another wagon, if not in money, in some sort of belonging she could sell - if not a wagon, at least a horse? I don't know, that just seemed strange to me. Otherwise, the rest mesmerized me. It's all starting to come together as to what is happening in the future; I'm SO hooked! Really loving it!
Carrie A chapter 4 . 11/2/2013
Chapter 21, paragraph 20: "Speaking of..." I think there is a word missing in this line. 'every' perhaps? Every cell of her being?

Michaela shook her head completely confused. "Where we you?" should be where WERE you
OH, a dream! *slaps forehead* AH! You got me on that one! :-D

While at tea, after Elizabeth says she doesn't understand, you spell Josef as 'Joseph'. Again when Josef talks to Sully before the ball.

ch 25 - Suddenly, they passed into a clearly...should be clearing.

When he's done rubbing her feet, "Instead, she pushed herself up on the edge of the soft" should be sofa.

This is so good, the foreshadowing of a grown Abigail receiving Michaela's bracelet paints this love scene in a dark light. The "I would have known you" line is so can't help but to feel as if this can't last. They are trying so hard, you just feel that there is something coming, in spite of all the happiness, in spite of everyone loving these characters together...Elizabeth said that true love never lasts...

We always see Michaela and Sully as perfect for each other, but this shows an alternate reality where they just don't feel destined to be perfect forever...very well done.
Carrie A chapter 3 . 11/2/2013
Martha: "She's a very enthusiastic child!" ROFLMAO - OMG, I burst out laughing at this line!

I never thought of it, but it's true; we never heard anything about David's life, except that we thought him lost in the war. To give him this back story is very good; makes him more human! He's still a bastard, but now I guess I do have to feel a tiny bit sorry for the bugger, LOL.

Not sure how I feel about Michaela acting almost drunk in the kitchen with ice cream after fainting at Rose's side - that was a bit of an extreme fluctuation in a short amount of time. The tension throughout is good, however. I hate to see what's going to happen between a drug-crazed David and a love-struck Sully when things finally hit the fan!
Carrie A chapter 2 . 11/2/2013
Touching, very touching. I can't stand when little kids call for their daddy (like that scene in The Patriot).
David's such a bastard, too, I hope Rose gave him syphilis!
Carrie A chapter 1 . 11/2/2013
I don't know how many reviews you've gotten, and I don't know what other hardcore Dr. Quinn fans may have said, but I think this is fantastic. I think this is the heart of real fan fiction. Not just to write in between episodes and sex scenes, but to take the elements and really craft something completely new. I am very taken with this - you have excellent writing (although sometimes we switch from scene to scene without knowing and I get a bit lost!) and this really brings a fresh twist to these characters. I have often wondered what would happen to Dr. Mike and Sully if the timing had been different. I love how you changed things so that her father was still alive, that she had never 'lost' David, and that they arrive in town while Abigail is still alive. Even the twist with Maude; surprising! You've explained things very well. I'm glad I posted in a Facebook forum so that someone had sent me a link to this story! I can't wait to read on :-)
Clare bear 48 chapter 17 . 10/5/2013
I have just finished this irresistible story. I am amazed at the twists and turns you incorporated in it...Have you ever thought of doing that second story? I would really like to see where you would take it... maybe have No Harm coming back? Think about that second story. BTW I liked it very much. :)
krissi07 chapter 17 . 9/14/2009
I just finished reading this story. I saw that you were planning a sequel titled The Missing. Did that ever get posted anywhere? Do you have plans to post it anytime? I really hope that you do. This was a great story and I would like to know how it all ends.
Keydieh Hurst chapter 17 . 3/16/2006
I absolutely loved this story. I was moved days after I finished it...It's so gripping, How do you get your ideas? LOL

fantastic how you combined all these different have my total adoration. can't wait to read "The Missing"
LynnEGib chapter 17 . 11/29/2005
Thank you this was a great review!
LynnEGib chapter 16 . 11/28/2005
WOW! A memory from childhood was the problem. I would have never guessed. I did guess those children on the train with Brian were important and they certainly were. I wonder what happened to No Harm, why she married the man that beat her and who David and his mother are. I guess I have to wait til spring
LynnEGib chapter 14 . 11/20/2005