Reviews for What Could Have Been
countrymouse chapter 6 . 2/18/2007
Dear Vanity Fair:

Thank you SO much for letting me know about this update! It was wonderful to read more of this story. And I can't wait to read the last chapter!

You've truly had me guessing, about what the "warnings" and "risks" of the spell Hermione had Snape use to take her magic, were. I had supposed they would involve some horrible, permanent damage to Hermione herself, that once done would be irreversible, and would cause Snape to regret treating her the way he had and forever repining for "what could have been" between them. But, obviously, Chapter 6 has shown me wrong on that. Which is even more wonderful-it means your story is not at all formulaic or predictable, and you have successfully kept me "going" wondering what will be next.

Now, you've added even more hints to the brew. After Snape confronts Hermione and Seth in the bookstore, we know:

1. Hermione knows she loves Seth.

2. Whatever the ill effects of the spell were, they affected Snape, not Hermione.

3. After the bookstore incident, Snape was "never seen again"-does this mean, by Hermione as well?

4. And, the most interesting statement of all, Hermione's to Snape, when he was about to attack Seth: “No!” Hermione said vehemently. Both men looked at her. “You can’t. You know you can’t. It’s not in you to do it. You can’t kill an innocent man.”

But-hasn't he killed MANY innocent people, before? So...why is it he cannot do it, now?

I have my suspicions, but will eagerly await the final chapter to see if they are correct.

Thank you, thank you, again, for this new delicious chapter. Can't wait for the last!

Thanks,

Rubyfey
Droxy chapter 6 . 2/18/2007
I wonder what were the risks HG ripped out of the book. What had happened to Snape as a result of that magic?

For a moment I though Seth could have been Severus. :

Nice dark fic.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 2/18/2007
Scary! I'm not surprised she's working in a bookstore, though. She has a tropism for the written word.

Nasty piece of work, that Snape-but he still can't kill an innocent man.
Nearly headless Natalie chapter 5 . 1/15/2007
I usually favor Snape as the brooding, sarcastic good guy, but this is an intriguing story. Hermione's a bit weaker than canon, but I suppose that's understandable considering all she's lost. And Snape-running around like a "a kid at Christmas." It was such a bizarre way of describing such an unchild-like man. I was torn between laughing out loud and feeling slightly perterbed. While I know it's been a while since you've updated, I thought I'd send my encouragement along. I wonder what...ah...side-effects Hermione ripped out from the book will come back to bite the former professor...

Cheers,

NHN
CathRakka chapter 5 . 12/22/2006
I love this story. It's been a long time since you've updated, are you still writing this one?
Dana Daidouji chapter 5 . 12/15/2006
I find this dark-themed fic of yours really interesting and am dying to know the next turn of events! Please update soon.
Katinka chapter 5 . 11/3/2006
Hello, hello...

You've finally updated, how wonderful!

I was a bit worried that this story would never continue.

Still there is not much to coment on in this chapter, as it was pretty uneventfull.

I'm still dying to know is she going to one-up him somehow!

I hope we dont have to wait as long for the next instalment!

Thanks for writting a great story from Katinka.
Pavi's Girl chapter 5 . 9/27/2006
great story. Update soon...please...
HeraBates chapter 5 . 9/6/2006
What a chapter!

I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out and affects the lives of Hermione and Severus.
Bold Gravy chapter 5 . 8/5/2006
That was certainly an interesting twist of events, but I liked it, so keep writing and I'll keep reading. :)
countrymouse chapter 5 . 7/24/2006
Hello Vanityfair:

I'd been following this story on Ashwinder, but didn't realize you were the same author until I found it tonight, rather by accident, reading another of your fics. I am still as intrigued by this story as I was at the beginning, and must gently chastise you for leaving us at such an EVIL cliffie! But I am most thoroughly and definitely hooked, and can't wait to see what awful results to Hermione are to come from this spell. In others' fics, such a spell has the witch dying, or losing her mind; wouldn't it be a tragedy if he returns her home, only to find her mind has been broken by the spell, and the once-brightest witch of the age has been destroyed, just to empower him? And though he tells himself she is nothing to him, still I think the fact that she did love him, could have loved him, would have married him-that these things are touching his heart on some deep level, and effecting changes he hasn't even begun exploring in himself yet. He is right in fearing, as he remembers Dumbledore telling him in Chapter 1, that love is the most powerful force of all. How will it affect him, and Hermione? Please, please hurry with the next update! :-)
prying.delilah chapter 5 . 7/22/2006
GAH! Update soon!

I promise for a less fan-girly review once you produce another chapter. Really, I think it's quite fair.
prying.delilah chapter 2 . 7/22/2006
So...I haven't really been reading much Harry Potter fanfiction lately because I've become obsessed with musicals, but when I DID come back and I remembered this story and I saw that you continued it, it made me want to cry. Because I love it so much. Really, mucho adore. Goshity gosh gosh! A LOT. In fact, going on my favorites...right now. I love how Hermione knows exactly what's going to happen to her if she stays with Snape and I LOVE how you captured Snape's manipulative nature. Seriously, love.
Laureen Lycan chapter 5 . 7/18/2006
This can't be the end, can it? Please say no! I want to know what happens...this is just incredible. So intense.
MollysSister chapter 5 . 7/17/2006
What I wouldn’t give to see that page Hermione tore out of the book. I assume one of those possible side affects is going to be a doozie! As always I am enjoying your tale Ms. Vanityfair. You write the dark angst stuff just as well as your usual prose. Thank you!
176 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »