Reviews for Western Dawn
Nearing Midnight chapter 1 . 7/2/2014
Absolutely beautiful. I simply have no words.

-NM
Petrichora chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
There is beauty in contrasts, and this story is full of contrasts. :)
yamina-chan chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
Somehow, I always feel sorry for the elves. The biggest gift they recived ia somehow their greatest curse.

Your storry prooves that again.

It is written verry well, again and after reading it, I start thinking.
Maethril Aranel chapter 1 . 8/17/2007
You have a very beautiful, lyric writing style that you don't find all that often. Thanks for writing stories that are such a pleasure to read. :)
Tolkienologist chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
Wow, powerful.

Very beautiful.

I can say nothing else for lack of a way to say it.

Great job!
UniCornVampire3z chapter 1 . 9/29/2005
wow... just wow, this was such a bitter sweet descrption of how it must feel for legolas, so desprate to go west yet he still has to stay until his work at ithilien is done. *sniff* poor little elf *huggles legolas* awesomely powerful peice, cheers to you.
SpaceRoses chapter 1 . 9/15/2005
A wonderful story. I can't think of any other words to describe it besides "wow". Thanks for posting this.
Kohinyun chapter 1 . 8/23/2005
While I'm a fan of all your stories, this one struck me as incredibly poignant. I'm awed at how you can take a brief moment and put all the emotions of a lifetime into it. I love the unsettled feeling you give Legolas; both a longing for and a dread of things to come. Made even more bittersweet since it is of his own choosing.

A moment between dark and dawn, between east and west, between past and future. This story is breathtaking in its simplicity and its emotion. It truly seems to be a moment frozen in time.

Thank you so much for writing! (and putting up with my pseudo-poetic rambles. look what you did to me!)
Aranna Undomiel chapter 1 . 8/10/2005
This was a really sad but powerful description of how it must feel like to be torn between two worlds and you know you can't have both at the same time.

Really beautifully written.
White Wolf1 chapter 1 . 8/7/2005
This is a wonderful mixture of sadness and hope, not just for the coming day but for the future in Valinor.

You did a masterful job of portraying how hard it was for Legolas (I liked that you never even mention his name yet we all know who it is) to face each day, wanting to remain in Middle-earth with his friends and yet having to face the knowledge that they will all be gone one day, while also having to face the relentless pull of the sea.

Great job, as usual.
Jane chapter 1 . 8/7/2005
This was very well written, good detail. I have so far found that your writing takes into consideration the principles of time and of what time has brought and may yet bring. Well done. Very profound.
Pyreite chapter 1 . 7/30/2005
A nice concise description. Wonderful detail. Simple yet poignant. Deeply emotive. Wonderful work.

~ Vel
LaireEryn chapter 1 . 7/26/2005
Ohh! I love it! It is so sad, but very powerful! I really liked the passage about about Ithlien being in shadow. The story does leave you with a bittersweet, kind of philosphical feeling.
kiss316 chapter 1 . 7/25/2005
"But they will exist in memory only, and the eastern dawn will be darkened by loss, even as the western dawn is now darkened by promise." Oh that just about ripped my heart out.

This was so breath takingly beautiful in story-telling, as are all of your fics, with your amazing way with words and in your use of description. Its almost like the descriptions tell the story, tell the emotions Legolas is feeling at that moment. At the same time, there was such an intense heart-breaking feeling throughout this fic, even with the little hope we read Legolas feeling at the end. The use of light and darkness in this fic to describe it all worked wonderfully. Legolas' fate is always something that intrigued me, while at the same time, was so heart wrenching for me to think of, and you always manage to bring it to light wonderfully.

Great job.
Pipwise Brandygin chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
"But oh, the price for such freedom! For when the day comes that he may look east toward the dawn, he will also look east toward a land where beloved friends—brothers in all but blood—once lived. And he will remember their names. Their faces. Their words and their laughter. But they will exist in memory only, and the eastern dawn will be darkened by loss, even as the western dawn is now darkened by promise."

Oh... ow, my heart... this is the most beautiful, sorrowful passage I've read in a long time. *wipes tears from her eyes*

I don't think I can write a review that will do this gorgeous vignette any justice at all, but I wanted to say that I'm so glad Marigold recommended it, as I would have missed it otherwise. Thank you so much! *adds to favourites*