Reviews for Western Dawn
KittiMarlowe chapter 1 . 7/20/2005
that was lovely. i could pretty much feel and see what's going on; and most of all - i understand the kind of emotional turmoil there is in so few words. it's the kind of writing that's dreamy and hazy but clear, and the english is employed to great effect: more auditory than anything, effective as the language is composed of vowels and sound. this is what i like.

still, when are you going to add the next installment of your other two stories. i've never seen anything that colours the harad so well.

Kit.M.
kingmaker chapter 1 . 7/19/2005
Oh wow. That is amazing. Your conceit (the western dawn) is brilliant, and your descriptions (both of it and Legolas' thoughts) are excellent both in terms of the prose and the imagery contained therein.
Jazmin3 Firewing chapter 1 . 7/19/2005
Very nice. Very, very nice. Legolas thinking about his . . . affliction is always nice and melancholy, exactly what I need today.
lastarael chapter 1 . 7/19/2005
Wow. *Chokes back tears* It's been a long time since I visited but when I got an email announcing a new Legolas story from you, I had to read it. And it was amazing. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed reading fan fiction, but I have a feeling that today marks the continuation of long nights on the computer, immersed in other worlds. I see that you have a lot of new stories and chapters that I have to start with. I know that I've said this before, but it was a while back, and I'm sure many others have said it since: you are an amazing author; by far my favorite fan fiction author, and among my favorite fiction and nonfiction authors ever. Thank you for helping me find a joy that I had lost.
Lamiel chapter 1 . 7/19/2005
This is beautiful. I know that you often prefer to work with Legolas and Gimli as a pair, not often focusing on one of them by himself. But this exploration of Legolas' heart as he faces the pain of the sea-longing and the choice between two worlds is deeply moving.

The imagery here, the contrast between the light and the dark, the sunrise in actuality and where it appears to be, is stunning. How marvelously appropriate to the theme of this piece, and true to Tolkien's geography as well!

The narrative choice, both of the third person present and of the use of imagery to convey thoughts is masterfully done. And the subtle irony, that wherever Legolas looks to the sunrise he will always be looking toward that which causes him pain, is a stroke of genius. Here in Middle-earth he looks West, toward that which he must resist, and when he comes to Valinor he will look East, toward the memory of the ones he loves and will never see again.

This is exquisitely painful, and all the more beautiful for it.
Amanalda chapter 1 . 7/19/2005
Yeesh, Thundera I think I'm going to look at the sunrise a different way for the rest of my LIFE thanks to you! *laughs* Ai, was that a heartbreaker! Absolutely a masterpiece, and another to put in my file of most-loved fics for sure. :D

I tell you though, that discription of the sunrise was almost enough to make me mad with a want to see one like that. *chuckles* I can understand why that would give him strength for the day at least. Man, if I was hurting so deeply like that, and one of the only things I had to comfort me at the time was a sunrise...I think I'd be all right. ;)

I liked the different view on this one too. I don't see many fics written like this, (I do believe it is 3rd person) but it's a treat if written correctly. *wink* Thank you so much for a little sunrise in my day!

Heading back to the lurking shadows,

Ammie
spazzy risu chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
Yay! *floats up into the air with the melancholy fluffiness* I love short, sweet fics! They're so...short...and sweet. I liked how you wrote this in 3rd person (at least I believe that that was 3rd person. School's out, and I've forgotten already) Well anyway, I liked the style. And, as an additional prod in the back, update land of light and shadow soon, Please! (just wait until you see the review that I did for that!)
Adre chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
That truely gave me chills,Thudera.

I have often wondered about the fate of Legolas. It seems he is fated to forever be torn between two of his mortal friends and that of his kindred.I wonder what it must have been like in his last remaining years in Middle-Earth as,one by one,his friends are so much more sensitive to grief that it must have felt like a part of him died with each of his is the fate of an immortal who befriends will always be I think you potrayed that aspect of this very well,if you understand now I must go read something funny,as I have throughly depressed myself.
ElfPrincessLarien chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
Beautiful, should I only choose one word to describe this writing. You did very well, and I very much enjoyed reading it. It's a nice change from the general fanfiction story; Tolkien would have been proud of writings such as these. I have added it to my C2, The Elvish Library, for though it does not contain elvish, the elven atmosphere and emotion is there, and I think this is a worthy piece of writing, worth reading. Well done and keep up the wonderful job you are doing!

No i Melain na le (May the Valar be with you)

Larien
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
Dear Thundera:

Imagine my shock at accessing the Just In section out of pure routine, and seeing the renowned Thundera Tiger's name nestled casually amid the Lost and Inuyasha fics. It was like glancing at a library discard pile and seeing a leather-bound edition of H.G. Wells. (Except, of course, that "Western Dawn" is an infinitely better story than "The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth".)

You just keep surprising me like that, Lady Thundera. It greatly enriches my life.

Sincerely,

Qoheleth
BehrBeMine chapter 1 . 7/18/2005
Wow... Wow. The way you paint imagery, and the flawless way you have of outlining both dark and light is amazing. I am in complete awe.

There is much in this story to be admired. Much that makes it as beautiful as Legolas himself.
26 | « Prev Page 1 2