Reviews for Wizard's Beginning, Spinner's End
riverrat chapter 1 . 7/7/2013
Yep, this is the beginning of the end for poor Severus. he just doesn't know it yet.
I liked your little story.
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 12/21/2012
Oh, Severus...
Catmint chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
This is excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! It's pretty much how I imagined it. You've got down the economic depression and social deprivation (long words for 1:05 in the morning!) and the creeping dark chill.

One geographical quibble, though. Spinner's End will be Lancashire somewhere, not Yorkshire. The cotton mills were in Lancashire - Yorkshire specialised in other areas of manufacturing. It would be somewhere like Burnley (which at one point in the 19th century was the biggest cotton-manufacturing town in Europe). Reading that chapter in HBP immediately brought images of the really socially-deprived, economically-depressed areas of Burnley. Being of Lancashire origin (never Yorkshire! *Never* Yorkshire!) I know this. Spinner's End is definitely Lancashire.

Other than that, excellent stuff!
Athena Keating-Thomas chapter 1 . 12/5/2005
A nice IC peek into the past and a dark foreshadowing for the future within HBP. Well done!
cecelle chapter 1 . 9/28/2005
This is just really a wonderful story!

I love the backstory you give him here - and it fits perfectly.

The last line, in view of what we know happens, is an 'ack' moment, of course...

Excellent job!
Delaine chapter 1 . 8/27/2005

I hope your going to continue with this some time soon. It's very well written and I love the background on Snape's childhood. Please continue, it has such potential. You could rewrite the whole year from Snape's perspective, or jump right to the end and give insight on his motivation. Awesome job.
Tar Irene chapter 1 . 8/12/2005
M. Snape like this.. I could just eat him. Or hug him. Not sure which.. though I am sure I shouldn't be reading fanfiction this late (early?).

Oh right, the fic. I like it. What would be really lovely, is if you filled everything in from Snape's POV between this and 'Twinkling'. Or, I can go away imagining it myself.. you are a lovely writer, though. Thank you for another beautiful Snape-fic.
tiamai chapter 1 . 7/25/2005
spinners end. cotton factory village. exactly what i had imagined. love the idea of snape as a boy scout... make it one better... Boys Brigade? pmpl!

and as my grandfather grew up in a cotton mill village then bacame a miner aged 14, i know just how depressing this life was and is. it does explain a lot about him doesnt it?
Oya chapter 1 . 7/24/2005
Hmm, can't wait for the next update to see how this is going to advance.
esmesqualor chapter 1 . 7/23/2005
Thank you for another fine story! I love the little touches you add: 'Batworth's', 'Scoursby', and previously: 'Diagonopoly', 'Squabble'.
duj chapter 1 . 7/23/2005
Yorkshire? When I read "Spinner's End" I was picturing Lancaster somehow...

Great backstory and relates very well to canon events.
Leelo Forever chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
i dunno if this is blasphemy (lol) but Rowling herself couldnt have done better :)
Silverthreads chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
Very nice piece.
lucidity chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
Brilliant fic!

I do think this book will be good for fanfiction, whterh you think Snape is Dark or Light.
unlikely2 chapter 1 . 7/22/2005
Oh dear. Very well written.