Reviews for The Curse of the Danaides
Guest chapter 1 . 12/2/2015
I must tell you: when I found this story, I had basically given up on fanfiction. So far, all I had read were the most ridiculous little oneshots with the strangest endings and unbelievable characters. This story was a breath of fresh air, and it sparked my interest in actually reading more of this kind of thing.

Greek mythology, being one of my favorite things in the world to study and read about was the second kind of fanfiction I started reading (second only to "The Lady and the Tuger," which can be rather hokey). Hypermnestra (or Nestra, as I have taken to calling her after reading this story) is one of my very favorite characters in all of Greek mythology, and I want to praise you for your amazing ability to capture her character. Her romance with Lynceus was superb, and I can only hope that I would be able to write something as convincing as that. Having her be such close friends with the gods, since she had no others, was a very nice touch, as well.

I'm usually a huge grammar freak, and the incorrect sentence structure was the only thing I could really fault in your story. However, if I can read a story and not be turned off by bad grammar, well... I guess that means you did a great job! I'm very impressed; keep up the good work!
Mohammed Mohammed chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Your writing is subpar, and you cant stick with historical accuracy. Why do you have your main character mention Cleopatra, when this myth is set before the flood, i.e. 1670 BCE... Besides, Cleopatra wasn't the greatest female ruler, why not give credit to Neferti, how about Hatshepsu, or Tomyris of the Massagetae who won a battle against the Persian Cyrus. Cleopatra was a lowly whore who had given Egypt up to the Romans. I love greek myths and history, but I hate it when fools like you ruin a good thing such as the story of Danaus and his brother Aegyptus. I find it funny how your main character claims the kingdom for herself, when in fact the kingdom belongs to a male, and if she was to refuse to marry the closet male relative would get the throne, either Aegyptus or one of his sons. That is greek society for you, contrary to what you portray greek women were not outspoken in the male dominated society of Ancient Greece.
DRAMA QUEEN chapter 15 . 4/10/2010
Yay, you got it. There are so few Greek Myths over 20 chapters. Much less 20,0. i must admit Nestra and Eros would be a good couple.

~DRAMA QUEEN
MandyJane chapter 37 . 2/16/2009
Hi! Ok, first of all, I just want to say that I love this story! I have read it twice, and reccommended it to absoloutley all of my friends! Second, I want to congratulate you on being such a good writer! The characters are believable, the plot is amazing, and the descriptions are to die for. My favourite character was probably...Danaus, in places, purley because you went into such detail about his mental state, and he was just the ultimate villan. I can't wait to read any other stories you may have written!

M
Cows-in-Hats chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
great story love our play of words
jo chapter 19 . 10/14/2007
Yah-hah, its me. *grey groans*

And yes, I did cry, but mind you I never cry over little things. My definition of big things? er, when the purple teletubby fell over and hurt his knee...

No I'm joking. It was really good!
jo chapter 17 . 10/14/2007
Yes, I know I'm being an annoying little prat and 3 reviews in less than 20 minutes is more than enough BUT i just just HAVE to say I really like this chapter! (hmm... I think i have a once-i-start-reviewing-i-can-never-stop syndrome...) I have a feeling Psyche and Rosey are gonna be set up. Maybe Eros is going to kill the monster? I can't wait! alrighty ho... on to the next chapter!
jo chapter 16 . 10/14/2007
hello again. ) im so glad Lynceus didnt just suddenly appear out of nowhere to rescue Ness, because that would've just been so... cliche.

Oh, will you look at that: you actually put it in your "author's note" at the end!
jo chapter 14 . 10/13/2007
Alright - i'll admit its good. very good. Infact one of the best i've EVER read!

I can't remember if i've reviewed before, but sorry for not reviewing as much as I could! besides, time reviewing is wasted: why review when you can read more?

I really like this chapter! Instead of just the usual banter (not that I don't like it), there's the banter AND sweet stuff! "my" brothers... aw. )
Klaus's Twin chapter 37 . 1/23/2007
Let me begin by saying that I absolutely loved this story. I read it straight through, which is saying something. I generally don't read chapter stories, but this piqued my interest.

Now for constructive critism time. I was wondering if you had a beta (in case you don't know, thats a person that proof reads the chapter before it is published to check for flow and grammar issues. flow wasn't really your problem. it actually flowed very well). You had a wonderful story and the way you told it was excellent. But, the only thing that got a little annoying was your little grammar and spelling errors. None were so bad that it was hard to tell what you meant, but at some points, it just got confusing.

Also, later on, I confused the visions with the real thing. You had them seperated by italicizing them earlier on in the story, but about half way through, you stopped. Imagine my distress when I thought Danaus had killed Nestra and Lynceus! I was severly peeved. Then I realized it was a vision, but it looked like it was what had actually happened. If something like this happens in the next story, it would help readers if it was marked.

All in all, a wonderful story.

-Anna
pinkfluffyness chapter 30 . 1/4/2007
Great! you finally finished it! I know u finished it ages ago but I have been in hospital and then working my but off to catch up with school so have not had ANY free time to look at it. Great story. Don't stop writing!
SakK chapter 36 . 1/1/2007
Why have we finally reached the end?

Oh well, I'm glad that you managed to close the story up rather well. It was pleasant to read about how Danaus had been reduced to a mere old man. Well not really pleasant but he deserved that horrible fate and worse. I'd really like to see how Nestra's sisters are doing in hell, though.

Thanks so much for writing such a wonderful story! I look for ward to reading the sequel!
SakK chapter 35 . 1/1/2007
Ok, i want to review...but I'm so excited I want to read the next chapter, too! so here's a short review- excellent I LOVE Artemis and whoa, I can imagine her in all her glory when wings sprouted from her back. I also feel pity for Nestra's sisters but too bad...And Danaus was a truly pathetic man in the end. I myself am starting to reluctantly feel sympathy for him.

Great chapter!
SakK chapter 34 . 1/1/2007
The beginning was pretty funny, but the ending was so sad...poor Nestra...and poor Lynceus...I just wish he'd cheer up a little considering how he hadn't taken any action when Nestra had told him about how her father had given every single one of her sisters a dagger.

:'(
SakK chapter 33 . 1/1/2007
Hm... well I was pretty confused about thr madcat thingy so maybe the others were confused, too, and didn't vote because of that?

Well, I wish Lynceus would be more dependable for once or poor Nestra will have to babysit him forforever! I loved the part where they visited the different inns and Nestra got overprotective if Lynceus~