Reviews for A Study of Reading Habits
lost0and0found chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Powerful writing! Makes one have second and third thoughts... I liked the form you chose - like glimpses at their lives picked from different angles. It corresponds to the whole sombre undertone, I think. There's some dark and sad logic threading the whole story that takes over and gets to the reader /even somehow against the will/- again, powerful writing!
ThePagesFlyBy chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
I like the concept of this story, but it is rather confusing. You should try putting in lines between the different situations. It would separate the bad from the good and clear it all up a bit.
CircleSky chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I think I got it but I still don't know what happened... ;)
Iscah McKrae chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
Horrible. In the best way possible.

This is the nightmare that Lorelai always had about Rory ending up with Jess. This is the nightmare that kept Rory from running off with Jess. And she was right. It would have been all wrong. It could have forseeably ended up like this.

This was so poignant...so incredible...so gallingly putrid in its ability to make me loathe and despise my Jess...except for the fact that I simply can't believe it. It is so utterly believable, and yet...*lets out deep breath*...I don't want to believe him capable of it. BUT, it all depends on which Jess...what he had gone through and what it had done to him. I don't think a sane Jess would have done this. Let me put it that way. And, perhaps living like this, watching the decomposition of the most beautiful thing he had ever known, and his utter inability to provide for the love of his life...feeling more and more worthless, day by day, could have driven him to that level of insanity. If he TRULY believed that his child would be DAMAGED by having him around as a father, perhaps he would have left. That's really the only way I can imagine that happening.

But, the fact that you're making me struggle with my own deeply held beliefs on the subject, is proof that you are an astoundingly incredible writer...and this story is nothing short of phenomenal.

It's the absolute antithesis of the main story I'm writing, "Pay the Piper," which shows Jess struggling with the realities of single fatherhood, because he refuses to let his child live his life all over again, with a non-supportive father and a damaged, uncaring mother. Strange to think that in a way they're two sides of the same coin...*shudders* Then again, it makes sense. In a yet unposted chapter where he tells Jimmy that he has a child, Jimmy gives some half-hearted self-condemnation, which is followed by:

“Yeah, well. I stopped running before I found out about her. You found out about me before you started running. Timing, really,” Jess offered, wondering when diplomacy had become his strong suit.

In your story, Jess found out he was going to be a father before he was "finished running"...he and Rory running off together stunted his emotional metamorphosis, and he never turned into the man he could have been. So awful. But, quite possible.

Bravo! Everything you write is incredible!
Potterworm chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
This is a great, heartwrenching piece. I really like the poignant ending, because it seems to have a double meaning. She's calling her mom to cry after he leaves the first time, or years later, her daughter walks in, as he leaves again.
GwenStacy chapter 1 . 10/28/2007
I hate it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, because I want him to change. This is what makes you such a great writer. You bring out emotions in people.
Lindakins chapter 1 . 8/29/2007
Well that just about broke my heart. But I loved the pacing of it, the back and forth, the little snippets of their time together. Great style.
Jessica chapter 1 . 4/30/2007
Amazing. This story felt like it could have been made by the writers of Gilmore Girls. Great writing, simple, and flawless. Especially love the Jess comments on Rory's stomach (a scene which you said "will never happen"). Fantastic job!
LVRofTristan chapter 1 . 3/17/2007
So ubelievably sad and well-written.
Nra chapter 1 . 11/2/2006
i love your kind of writing, even the swearing. this is so... jess. you're amazing.
PlrtzGlrb chapter 1 . 3/8/2006
How do you properly write a review for a story like this? I mean, my vocabulary, even for a 4.0 student, is not large enough to come up with a stronger word than 'depressing'. Seriously. Because that word is what I need to properly write that review.
milovroxmysox chapter 1 . 11/8/2005
OMFG, that was amazing. but it doesn't look like you've updated in awhile. I discovered this fic at and I didn't know if I could view the updates. I can't find this script at either. So it would be very much appreciated if you could e-mail me when you update!
milovroxmysox chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
OMG! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE E-MAIL ME AND TELL ME WHEN YOU'LL UPDATE!
music4mysoul chapter 1 . 9/29/2005
This story really makes me hate Jess. I know he's known to be running away when things get hard but would he really leave his own kid behind? That would be just cruel. I really want to smash this Jess against the wall (I really don't know how to, but whatever) ,but better having him leave now than in some years when the kid has to witness it all.

She chokes and wipes her mouth. "Let me help you pack." This is killing me.

I don't know how you do it, everytime I read one of your stories I'm either in tears or just simply amazed. I think this time it was both
waxingmoon chapter 1 . 9/25/2005
I have to pretend I'm not almost crying...or I would be mocked mercilessly by my boyfriend, who is sitting behind me.

It was great. And this is coming from someone who has a strict policy of abandoning fics at the mention of pregnancy.