Reviews for The Courtship of Helen Thurlow
gaudy night chapter 9 . 10/8/2005
A testament to how wonderful your stories are... I've been checking every hour on the hour since Thursday the 6th for Chapter 11. You spoiled us the last couple of weeks with your weekly updates coming out a day early. :) Thanks again.
gaudy night chapter 11 . 10/8/2005
Just wanted to express my gratitude for another wonderful conclusion to an excellent work of fiction. Though I wish Holmes would be a bit more romantic and affected by his new relationship with Helen, I realize that what you two have written is in truth, realistic in terms of how a relationship with Holmes would begin. The character's personality wouldn't change drastically overnight and I guess he wouldn't just declare his undying love for Helen in front of Edwards, but it sure would be nice for him to show a romantic side! Alas, I bow to both of your superior story-telling (besides, the ups and downs of the relationship keeps me hooked!). I can hardly wait for Rules of Engagement, and here's hoping for more of those steamy scenes between Holmes and Helen!
C.M Cruz chapter 11 . 10/8/2005
This was a very emotional chapter. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Major Edwards, his actions were of a lover and it's wonderful to see how much he still loves Helen. I can not wait for the rest of this story. So lovely. I favorite chapter has got to be this one.

"I would've loved you every day of my life. Nothing would have come before you, not career, not India...I'm sorry that was not enough."
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 11 . 10/8/2005
Wait, wait, hold on. How has Holmes just admitted that Edwards is the better man for Helen, if he has just spent the last (uncountable) chapters moping that he's unsuitable?

Other than that confusion, I liked the almost-cinematic intensity of this chapter. The exchange between the two men was probably the best, like an unwinnable match between two prize fighters. Well done.

How long is this story arc going to be? Or do you know yet?
adele rose chapter 11 . 10/8/2005
Thank you! Lovely story . . . I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Amberlin chapter 10 . 10/7/2005
So it's 10:45pm on my clock. I'm going to have to mark you down a grade for submitting late work :)

Just kidding, but seriously, I'm dying here!
Estriel chapter 10 . 10/6/2005
Yay! I'm so looking forward to the next chapter and 'The Rules Of Engagement'! It sounds great! Keep up the fab work, and congrats on the wkd characterisation!

Es

xx
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 10 . 10/6/2005
So it takes me a couple of weeks to be settled comfortably in a small house on the Southern coast of England, and then I come back to this story to find that you have reinvented Dr Watson as a sort of Dr Ruth of his time, and Sherlock Holmes has become... oy! I have no words.

And I still don't believe that you haven't seen My Fair Lady. If this is still true, then you two must have secret psychic powers that know the content of films before you have seen them. (Is HP4 any good?)

"Rules of Engagement," snicker.
Susana chapter 10 . 10/3/2005
Only two words: THANK YOU
Witheredlovr chapter 1 . 10/1/2005
I love it! I absolutely love it!

The song "Listen to your Heart" by D.H.T and Edmee goes with this.

I can't wait!
gaudy night chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
I absolutely love Thursdays.

Thank you for writing such a lovely story. I'm even more thrilled that you two are planning to continue this story (and with a title like The Rules of Engagement, I just can't wait!). For weeks now, I've been so looking forward to each installment of the developing relationship between Holmes and Helen. I could barely take my eyes off the screen while reading Chapter 10. I was all tied on in knots, desperately hoping for the big moment. I'm so glad you two put them together. Holmes trying to reason this thing out and attempting to classify it as an experiment, and Helen with enough integrity to settle for nothing less than the real thing. I love how you showed Holmes' vulnerability (as another reader also said) and his uncertainty, but finally following his heart and putting himself out there. I love reading how Holmes the novice at love and Helen who is willing to be understanding and gentle throughout their exchange somehow manage to come together. In the end, when she reaches for his hand and their hands intertwined awkardly-that was just a perfect moment. Awkward because it's new and completely infused with raw emotion. It's perfect and realistic. Gives me tingles just thinking about it. They're perfect for each other. Thank you again for the wonderful writing, story-telling, and especially the LONG chapters. What a delightful gift you give to us each week.
Bridgewater chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
Great but don't marry them. Holmes would never marry - a wife would be a target for all those wishing to avenge themselves. I can't see him exposing a woman he truly loved to such danger. In fact, I think this is the one thing that has been missing from Holmes' deliberations over Helen. He has wrestled mightily with the effect on HIM but what about the effect and consequences for HER of official courtship and/or marriage? And then there are those two young boys, the elderly mother etc...

No reason why a secret relationship couldn't exist. The odd night of passion. Neither he nor she are truly conventional. They HAVE to get together after this massive and wonderful build-up. Anything else would be such an anticlimax!

Only one language gripe - I'm English and a Londoner born and bred. "Gotten" is totally alien to us and does grate a little. Other than that - superb! Do keep this very high standard up - it's a real joy to read. Thank you for giving so much pleasure to so many.
ExecutiveHPFan chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
I am completely breathtaken.

Never, in years of reading Sherlock Holmes canon and fanon, have I ever come across a better portrayel of Holmes falling in love. You captured the essence of his character perfectly! Conan Doyle would be proud.

Helen Thurlow beats Mary Russell any day of the week, y'all. Please keep up the absolutely brilliant work.
Hermione Holmes chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
Oh wow. That was the most beautifully romantic thing I've read in a while. Wow. So emotional and opening. Gosh. I don't know how I'll recover- Holmes actually admitted his feelings! Ep! Wow, yeah, that was incredibly good- and thank you so much for having more stories! I was so afraid that this would be the end. I really don't know what else to say, as I am just overcome by the emotions in this chapter (which is definitely my fave, by the way), especially when Holmes seemed so uncertain and vulnerable- so sweet. And William...well, yeah. I can't wait for his reaction! I will be in suspense till the next chapter. All together now- Aw! Anyway, absolutely excellent- can't wait!
Anna McNarin chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
"Oh my, wow," is the only thought coming to mind & that I'm excited to see what happens next & happy that you're continuing this saga.
117 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »