Reviews for The Courtship of Helen Thurlow
Susana chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
Thank you for the happiness of other chapter!

But the regressive account kills me. This statement i

is a mixture of pleasure and distress, is " bigger than the life itself ".
Lowell chapter 10 . 9/30/2005
I absolutely loved this. That is _exactly_ how I pictured Holmes falling in love, if ever he did. Brilliant and beautiful. A bit of your dialogue (Watson, in particular) is too stiff, but fits fairly well with the personalities and, certainly, the period. Nicely done.

I'm getting evil William vibes. "...something I have to attend to..." sounds reminiscent of a bad Mafia movie.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for continuing the saga. One suggestion, tho: could you post new chaps on mondays, so that they don't distract me for an entire weekend? As much as I love procrastinating... Nevermind, I'm just kidding. It's been a great ride so far, and I look forward to the continuation of said.
Amberlin chapter 10 . 9/29/2005
That was so wonderfully done. So realistic, though I know some purist will hate the idea of Holmes in love or being romantic in any way, but I LOVE it. I could see him doing all those things, and most certainly see him making such a fool of himself at first in an ironic attempt to NOT make a fool of himself.

So great...are they going to get married?

I was going to point out a quotation mark that was out of place, but it appears that I was either seeing things or you've already fixed it.

Can't wait for next week!
Susana chapter 1 . 9/26/2005
Poor Mr. Holmes! If we add the mental whirlpools

of him and Helen, we form a great tsunami.

I am eating up the nails waiting for the last chapters.
Hermione Holmes chapter 9 . 9/26/2005
I think we all saw that William was going to propose, but it was still very sweet, although the whole time I was thinking "No, Helen, he's the wrong man for you! Don't!";) I haven't reviewed in a long time, but your previous chapters were mesmerizing. I absolutely adored the undercover bit, although I was surprised that you would have chosen to do something that a lot of other people have done- but you made it so original- excellent job. Ha, I knew Holmes would start liking Helen. But I can't believe it, only two more chapters? And then no more stories with Helen? So sad...and with only two more chapters, I'm not thinking that Helen will go to Holmes, though she might leave William (who is cool, but he's definitely no Holmes:) Especially since she was still referring to Holmes as she narrated the Harlot stuff. Oh, the suspense is getting to me. I can't wait to find out what happens next- great job!
J.A. Lowell chapter 9 . 9/25/2005
I keep meaning to write a really long, involved, and complicated critique of your work, but ladies, it feels like a sacrilege. It's just too good for me to pick apart!

For a time, I was somewhat scared about the whole notion of Holmes and Helen Thurlow in some sort of romantic entanglement - these things usually go Mary-Sue, but I kept reading. And that persistence was rewarded. The closest thing to a Mary-Sue I found in this piece was Helen's charade as Jeannette, which thankfully wasn't follolwed by Holmes falling head over heels for her.

William is a brilliant character, and I don't think this piece would have succeeded without the inclusion of a competing love interest for Miss Thurlow. Of course, when you first introduced him, I was naturally suspicious of his good nature (I associate with Holmes entirely too much, perhaps). I confess that even after all of this, I still wouldn't be too surprised if he turned out to be somewhat evil... Nevermind.

The only thing I can really gripe about is the horrible countdown to the end. I don't want it to stop! cries

In answer to your q, Mrs. Alice Thurlow quoted Poe when speaking to Holmes in Forfeit Daughter.

Right then. In conclusion, all of your stories are on my favorites list, and you'll find you're in good, select, company.
Amberlin chapter 9 . 9/23/2005
Oh! Where was that previously in YOUR works...well, now I feel like an idiot ;)

Please forgive my spelling in that last review (didn't even spell my name right), it was late and I was sick.

Yes, I remember it in the Forfeit Daughter (which I actually read AFTER "An Unforseen Occurrence), because I remember being oddly happy that you quoted my favorite poem.

Can't wait for the update, though I have a feeling it will be depressing...
prisoner24601 chapter 9 . 9/23/2005
" I heard a rustle of fabric behind me, and turned to find Mrs. Thurlow now standing next to me, her eyes fixed on Holmes. "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary; Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore; While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping; As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door, ‘'Tis some visitor,’ I muttered, ‘tapping at my chamber door; Only this, and nothing more.’" She stared hard at him. "Nevermore...nevermore."

Holmes stubbed his cigarette out on his plate, and stood up to face her. "I hope to change that particular outcome, Mrs Thurlow."

Her eyes continued to bore into his. "Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, ‘Sir,’ said I, ‘or madam, truly your forgiveness I implore; But the fact is, I was napping, and so gently you came rapping; And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door; That I scarce was sure I heard you.’ Here I opened wide the door; Darkness there, and nothing more."

He looked at her curiously, a small frown on his face. "I believe, Watson, there is again something more Mrs Thurlow would have us know...though this time, I am somewhat at a loss…"

If he was at a loose end, I could only stare at the scene completely stupefied, and noticed except for her and Holmes, so was the rest of the room.

She cocked her head to the side, her lips pulling into a sad smile, even as some of the lucidity already bled out of her eyes. "And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting; On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door; And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming. And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor; And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor; Shall be liftednevermore!"

Her daughter rose from her seat across the room, and made her way over to us. "Mother...is there something you wish for?" she asked gently.

Mrs. Thurlow, however, took the last few steps to my companion, and placed a hand on his chest, whispering adamantly, "Nevermore...nevermore." Taking her hand in both of his gently, Holmes looked into her eyes, and tried to read the light there before it faded completely. "Rap, rap..." she breathed to him, before turning her eyes to her daughter. "Is it time for tea, Helen?" Her voice's usual almost dream-like quality had returned at last."

The Forfeit Daughter by Aeyrnfire
Susana chapter 9 . 9/23/2005
My Friday happiness is again here! They come

together with the spring and are very welcome.

Already I am going to read ... and to enjoying

your talent.
Anna McNarin chapter 9 . 9/22/2005
*applauds* Bravo, bravo.
Amberling chapter 9 . 9/22/2005
I believe nevermore is from Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven"...unless I'm totally missing something which is quite possible...anyhoo.

All I have to say to Holmes is...you luve her, you want to mary her...

Sorry, that was really immature.
Anna McNarin chapter 8 . 9/16/2005
*absolutely giddy w/ delight* Simply put, I cannot wait to hear what Watson has to say, nor to find out why Holmes's expression was as such. Beautiful.
ExecutiveHPFan chapter 8 . 9/16/2005
*rips out hair* WHY ARE THE VICTORIANS PRUDES?

Had this been Harry Potter or House or something else, they would've already been fricken married by now.

Suspense and I have a love/hate relationship.

But seriously, I can't begin to explain to y'all how much I love this fic. Your style is so refreshingly original and so true to the period that sometimes I wonder if you don't have a time machine.

Keep it up. Oh, and Watson as Henry the VI? HILARIOUS. Totally a contrast to his personality, which makes it even more funny. I can just imagine Edward Hardwicke (because I like him better than David Burke) strutting down the stairs dressed as Henry...
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 8 . 9/16/2005
Only 3 more chapters? I wish all my romantic dillemas were solved in the space of 3 chapters! Perhaps I should hire you two to write my romantic histories? It would certainly save a lot of time! LOL.
Susana chapter 8 . 9/16/2005
If yesterday was a long kiss, today a beautiful valz, tomorrow...

That is Friday ya!

They have turned into my addiction; do not provoke theirs syndrome of abstinence.

I praise chapter, like always.

Chau, my friends.