Reviews for Tom and Harry
Bob chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
To answer your questions out of order, yes I think Riddle does know when a horcrux is destroyed. They're still fragments of his soul, which are connected to him.

Loss of a horcrux probably doesn't diminish him significantly, power wise, although I suspect if you destroyed one in his presence he'd be completely disoriented for a few minutes. Creation of a horcrux, on the other hand, probably did weaken him for a time afterward while he recovered from the trauma.

Yes and no. I think it is possible to destroy the primary fragment of Tom Riddle without destroying all of the horcruxes. But the horcruxes should still be destroyed, because if they aren't, it would still be possible to ressurect Tom at whatever age he was when he made the horcrux, like what almost happened with the diary.

If you fed a horcrux to a dementor, would it be destroyed?
mnbvcxzasdfghjklpoiuytrewq chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
bravo
HaliOmani chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
Dumbles and harry talked about it in the book i think.

Since the fragments of tom's soul are already seperated from the body they do not affect his power level when destroyed. Not having them attached simply makes him less human.

He cannot tell when the horcruxes are destroyed. There is a conversation somewhere in the HBP about it. You should find that.

if they are all not destroyed before voldie himself is killed then his sould/spirit will no seperate from the mortal plane because he will be anchored by the horcruxes.
ElspethBates chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
Excellent chapter. I think that Riddle, being as arrogant as he is, wouldn't consider the fact that anyone would ever figure out he had created the horcruxes. I also feel, that once split and placed in a horcrux, the soul wouldn't have any contact with the other parts placed in other horcruxes or with Riddle himself. If they did, why didn't he collect one or more of them to make himself stronger while he possessed Quirrel? So, no, I don't think he would "know" or "feel" when Dumbledore destroyed the ring.
projectjay chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
Glad thet you didn't give up after the book cam ou tlove the story so far.
Makieus chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
I don't think the Horcruxes would weaken Riddle. Otherwise he would know what was going on. It seemed to me, that in Book 6, Riddle didn't know that his Horcruxes were being destroyed. Otherwise he would go out and make some more and hide them better.

It took riddle 10 years to come back. Harry should just kill Riddle, then he would have plenty of time searching for the remaining Horcruxes. My guess would be also that they do need to be found and destroyed.
The Dark Lord Potter chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
im sure this will be a very good and well written story, but for now I think I am going to have have to leave it alone for awhile. Not becasue of you as an author, but I just dont think I can actually stomach reading any sort of h/g r/hr for awhile. its nothing against you, and your story will stay in my favourites. you really are one of the best authors on this entire site.
Bobmin356 chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
I have a lot of problems with the whole concept of horcruxes. For one thing, since Harry, in canon is obviously denying himself love by kicking Ginny to the curb, that sorta knocks the idea that love is the "power he knows not". Even if Harry destroys the horcruxes, Voldemort has what? 50 plus years of dueling experience over him?

I suppose that Ginny could insist on following Harry as you have her doing. But (a) I don't think Harry will let her, and (b) her parents certainly would not, she is, after all, the baby of the family and the only girl in generations. I don't see Molly letting her trip after Harry. As it stands I wouldn't be surprised to find Harry trying to ditch Hermione and Ron in canon.

I would say that V definitely knew when the ring was destroyed. It is, after all, part of him.

According HBP, if you don't destroy all of them, the V can return one way or another. So yes, they all have to be destroyed to avoid a repeat return. Gawd I hate reruns! :)
udderpd chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
Excellent.

We know that several soul portions had been destroyed prior to Tom's duel with AD in the MoM. So I would assume that he doesn't weaken as they die.

I think that he would be aware of how many pieces still remained and if he reached the last one or two he would become extreemly nervous.

If he were to be AK'ed with any soul pieces remaining he would resume the form he had after Godric's Hollow. In an emergency this could be used as a distraction to give the light side time to re-group. However, we still don't know why it is only Harry who can eventually kill him we do know that Dumbledore terminated one of the Horcruxes so?

TTFN UdderPD
dead feather chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
Yes, thanks for the rec for CQ :)

Anyways, good chapter. A lot's been happening. It was a surprise that Snape didn't actually plan for a getaway.

I think Harry directly asked D'dore in HBP if Riddle would feel the horcruxes are gone and D'dore answered him that he didn't think so. Educational guess from D'dore is usually correct. When the horcruxes were explained and how they worked, it was said that they all would have to be destroyed and then Riddle himself as the last. If not, the spirit would once again linger on. So, if you're following HBP plot line, that would make sense.
siaru chapter 2 . 8/6/2005
"Does anyone have an opinion regarding the Horcruxes weakening Riddle as they get destroyed?"

My opinion: yes, but he wouldn't necessarily notice it until he had to pull hard on his magical core.

His core is dispersed but still connected; there has to be a tradeoff for that, and I think it's in higher transfer impedance and greater lag in response (I'm more confident of that opinion now that we know that Apparation involves pushing against a considerable impedance - JKR's magic is behaving a little more naturally, like radio, here, with square-law aspects). The sections nearest him would respond first to any summoning of power; the portion he retained would respond immediately, with no extra impedance. For minor tasks, he might not even notice that there's a piece missing. For a major magical expenditure, though, he would pull deep, and come up short, because, rather than just being separated from him by (lossy) distance, the pieces are absent.

In time, he could rebuild from the losses, but... You have to love yourself (love your life, in Rand's terms) in order to nurture-within, and Tom Riddle doesn't love anything or anyone, least of all himself. Rather than sharing-with-the-All (think Obi-Wan going into the Force) to gain access to greater power, Riddle precipitated out like a clinker, then he sucked on the DE's Dark Marks to stay primed. All his magic since his resurrection is second-hand, finite and unrecoverable.

And, yes, I think Harry's carrying a live Horcrux node, but he can expel it (or have a Dementor suck it out), since it's confined to that scar; it's the only reason Riddle can hurt him mind-to-mind. I don't think Ginny's got a live one, but I think the diary personality intermisced with hers when it was feeding on her and then was suddenly expelled from its object-link (the diary)... that might explain her more Slytherin behavior in HBP.
Nathalie-z chapter 2 . 8/5/2005
Hee Scott,

I am realy happy that you have an other story up again. It is already turning out great.

As for your questions

- I doubt it. Cause if he did he would be garding the other ones. And no-one was at the cave. And I know it was guarded bij those inferi's but even voldie could have figured out that Dumbledore would find a way to get to the Horcrux

Could he tell when Dumbledore smashed the ring?

- Again see answer above

Would they all need to be found and destroyed?

-I think they need to all find and distroy them or else he will keep comming back. But I think the real question here is do they need to be distroyed before he kills voldie or can they even be distroyed after?
serious.effort chapter 2 . 8/5/2005
I'm all for the reasoning of the Horcruxes weakening Voldemort. I'd like to think having part of one's soul destroyed would weaken someone. If that's the case, I'm sure he would eventually notice, but I'd rather not have Voldemort know the Horcruxes were being destroyed. It would put Harry in more danger! Never good.

Although, that may be one of the reason's Voldemort choose to have Dumbledore killed instead of Harry. Can't we assume Draco recieved his task around the same time Dumbledore's hand was 'fried'?

I was under the impression all the Horcruxes had to be destoryed because if they were not, Voldemort's soul would still have ties in the world and survive. Well, perhaps not if there was a soul banishing curse or something, but then there would still be fragments of Voldemort's soul around...

Anyway, I'll love it anyway it goes (As long as it doesn't involve mass memory loss and Harry sent to a mental hospital. I hate those ones! Oh, and non-magic AUs... not a problem here, I'd like to assume)

Excellent chapter. I look forward to reading more.

-exile
Gandalf Lyonn chapter 2 . 8/5/2005
Another Great story. To answer your questions.

No Riddle does not weaken when a Horcrux is destroyed, nor does he know when one is destroyed.

Yes all of the Horcruxes most be destroyed to get rid of Voldemort for good.

Gandalf Lyonn
Caddy94 chapter 2 . 8/5/2005
Good update realy looking forward to more.

Destroying the horcruxes shouldn't weaken Tom because he wouldn't do that if it would weaken him. I don't think he could tell when the ring was destroyed because it wasn't a part of him any longer it just housed a piece of his soul. Yes all of the other horcruxes need to be destroyed before the final confrontation.
1,655 | « Prev Page 1 .. 98 105 106 107 108 109 110 .. Last Next »