Reviews for Anam Cara
teeds chapter 6 . 3/10/2011
It's been a long time since I started reading this - I remember starting it several years ago, back when I was on a Final Fantasy IX kick.

Freya was always my favorite Final Fantasy character, and fanfics with her always seemed to be good reads because all of them focused on writers trying to present storylines that cheered her up, which made for some pretty good feeling moments.

Anyway, due to FFIX's re-release on the PSN, I recently was re-acquainted with my appreciation for Freya, so I decided to finally finish reading this tale. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

Freya's character is always radically different depending on the tale, but I think her personality here fits most with how I envision her acting outside of the game. Her dissatisfaction with Fratley seems to buck the trends of other Freya-focused stories, and while I'm not the biggest Amarant fan, his characterization here made him not just tolerable, but enjoyable to read.

I wasn't able to find the prequel to this story (though if it's floating around somewhere, a link would be appreciated :) but that wasn't a problem at all. Actually it worked out quite nicely, throwing the reader right in the thick of things, quickly transitioning to the assassination attempt in Treno.

I also appreciated the multi-perspective storytelling, with the switching between not just Amarant and Freya, but throwing Zidane, Garnet, and the antagonist into the mix. By keeping Fratley's perspective out of the running, you actually help to make him seem more alien to the reader, which works very well in this story's favor.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate the work you've put into this tale, even if it's quite an old one and you've probably moved on to bigger and better things since your last story was updated back in '08. I know how that is :)

Thank you again for the story, and I hope you're still writing out there!
Faith Angel chapter 6 . 12/29/2008
This is the best Amarant and Freya fic I have ever read, and it's so old too! I loved it! You potrayed each character incredibly perfect! I love Amarant/Freya, forget ! Oh please, I'm begging you! Make another! Make another!

God Bless!
MidnightWhisper7 chapter 6 . 8/25/2006
This is the reason I love these kind of stories. The writing was amusing and heartfelt at the same time, with excellent characterization, although a few misspelled words and punctuation errors here and there. I really like the explanation of Amarant's history and his people, and how the Burmecians were really all the cause of his problems. The plot moved well and the interactions between the characters were just right. Amarant and Freya had just the right relationship, a little more than friendship but not mushy fluff either.

Fratley and Freya's story was sad but sweet at the same time.
Sorelliena chapter 6 . 1/3/2006
*starts laughing like holy hell*
Sorelliena chapter 5 . 1/3/2006
*smacks Amarant*

...And that's ALL I've got to say.
Sorelliena chapter 3 . 1/3/2006
*jumps*

OH! AMARANTxFREYA MUSHY MOMENTUM! YAY!
Sorelliena chapter 2 . 1/3/2006
You know what? I know a product called "Aless"... You wrote this in the 01, so you probably didn't think of it. I think the product is spelled differently, though.

Anyways, Aless is actually birth-control pills...

...and now I'm just going to run away and laugh like an idio- AHEM... I mean, walk away slowly for no apparant reason.
Sorelliena chapter 1 . 1/3/2006
Aiyaah...

Sounds like some mess Freya's gotten into, eh?
Jasmine Reinier chapter 6 . 10/15/2005
That was quite possibly the BEST Amarant/Freya ficcie I've EVER read. Fantastic job!
Devilish Kurumi chapter 6 . 9/13/2005
I'm only reviewing because it's the easiest way to say "I absolutely adore this" and put a story on my favorites list at once.

I wish I could make Amarant in character like you.
Elwen Skye chapter 6 . 8/18/2004
...oh wow. I can't believe I was so enamoured with "Go Not Gently" and waited so patiently for an update that I never discovered any of your lovely Freya fics. This has definitely become my favorite piece on the entire site. I like the way it ends: open-ended for both Fratley and Amarant, with so much hope for their futures, however it turns out. And you write Freya and Amarant's verbal sparring so beautifully.

I've always liked Freya as a tragic figure, but yours and a few other authors' fics have really opened my mind as to the true depth of her character. I like this more complex portrayal much better than my simplistic impression. (Must find time to replay the game...)

Ah... I have no words for your amazingness. *worship*
amarantlanii fangirl chapter 6 . 7/12/2004
...Wow...this story is AMAZING! i've read 7,036 fanfics over the years, and i have to honestly say that this is one of the best!very creative; I like the idea that Amarant was a drahken! Hahahah!( hiccup, cough...) NOW THEY'RE GONNA GET MARRIED!(...hiccup, snigger...XD) I LOVE THIS STORY! i just hope i don't run out of ink for my printer...
kash30032000 chapter 1 . 6/10/2004
This was the first fan fic I ever read. I really like it and how it involved two of my favorite characters. Freya and Amarant.
Kimou chapter 6 . 6/8/2004
Once again, a wonderful piece of work. Want more, thus, I will continue scanning your pieces.
Myshu chapter 6 . 5/14/2004
Surprise, random review from random reviewer. What can I say? Even dated fics catch my eye. Now on with the crits...
I must first say that your wit was well appreciated over here. I laughed at least once per chapter-out loud. Your narration is terrific and intelligent.
The plot was nice, sound, and straight to the point, although it seemed more of a background to the "fluff" (as ye call it) than the spine of the fic. Despite this, I enjoyed the story very much. Excellent characterization (I'll concur with Ourania's points) and a nice take on Amarant's background, although it works on the assumption that he was lying to Zidane in the game when he claimed he didn't remember his background-then again, that would be in Amarant's character, wouldn't it?
Some hitches such as typoes caught me, a few scenes were just teetering on the brink of senseless lemon (didn't dive in, thankfully), and I'm having a hard time believing rats can turn visibly pale or red, but everything else seemed fitting and believable. I also noticed a proliferation of F-words in the last chapter that was conspicuously absent from the rest of the story (not complaining, really-just wondering if there was something behind that).
Anyway, this was a good fun read-a night well spent.