Reviews for Of Threnodies and Roses
Dreaming One chapter 42 . 5/18
Aww, yay! I was so terrified that the dark tones would never give way to anything redemptive, but you managed to create an authentically creepy Phantom and still make us believe that Christine was safe and loved him freely. Awesome! Good job!
Dreaming One chapter 19 . 5/17
This is both good and...disturbing. It certainly brings to light exactly how creepy PotO actually is. Yeesh, major mixed feelings I'm experiencing reading this!
You should do a one shot of the Russian's story regarding the man that tried to get too close to Christine, lol.
BadassSyd chapter 42 . 1/23
Oh my gosh. I absolutely LOVED this story. The plot was amazing and so exciting. I literally couldn't put it down. I can't wait to see what else you have written.
Hanonymous chapter 42 . 12/15/2014
I began reading this story with the same sort of disturbed fascination as I read the original book. As it progressed, that feeling grew. I was quite unsettled throughout the whole story - but don't think I disliked it! This has quickly become one of my favorite stories. Brava!
(Side note: I was reading the last chapters in class. Around chapter forty, my phone died. I was already crying, but that pushed me over the edge. XD Fortunately, I had my tablet on hand, and was able to finish.)
Anon chapter 42 . 8/22/2014
Oh, man. I read this in a day, instead of doing my Psych homework, and I regret nothing. Thank you very much for feeding my obsession with fundamentally twisted and Stockholm Syndrome-y relationships. It was a great, great read. Your portrayal of Erik was really great, I think - you maintained his affection for Christine without compromising his obsessiveness for her, his scariness while still making it pretty easy to empathize with him. Good on you.
Laudylis chapter 42 . 8/16/2014
I remember starting Of Threnodies and Roses nearly a year ago and then stopping midway through the first chapter because I didn't have the time at the moment, and I guess I just forgot about it after then. Thank goodness I finally rediscovered this exquisite story!

Goodness, I don't even know where to begin! For some reason, the POTO fandom is the only one where I'm actually interested in reading modern retellings, because I suppose that Leroux's story is one that works wonderfully in any setting and I'm always curious as to how each author establishes Erik and his past in their adaptation. But after reading Of Threnodies and Roses, I've finally realized that all of those stories have been lacking something; something that I finally found in your story. You've perfectly captured the feel of Leroux's original novel, especially the fact that Christine can't just leave Erik. Erik isn't just some deformed man with a dark past and anger issues that end up being easily overlooked due to his genius and affection for Christine. He is downright terrifying for most of the story, honestly, and that's what makes Christine's indecision so realistic and perfect. Thank you so much for this gorgeous piece of work!

(Can you tell that I forgot to review until now?)
eustacescrubbs chapter 42 . 1/27/2014
why did it take me so long to read this, i stumbled across it the other day and finished it in one sitting! and then i realized today i never left a review. absolutely beautifully written, i was completely swept away until the last sentence. definitely going into my favorites!
electronic.neko chapter 40 . 1/13/2014
Poor Nadir. Erik has probably taken several decades off his life due to stress and some of his mental acuity with all the head trauma.
electronic.neko chapter 39 . 1/13/2014
Excellent! It's just like the mask; constantly imagining what could be there is much more frightening than whatever is really there could possibly be. Good for Christine.
electronic.neko chapter 32 . 1/13/2014
Big mistake. Imagining what's under the sheet is almost certainly worse than whatever actually WAS under the sheet. That's an old horror movie trick! And poor Raoul...how could he possibly just walk away from Christine now?
electronic.neko chapter 31 . 1/13/2014
I don't know if you're a Simpsons fan, but this chapter made me think of Chief Wiggum's line, "what IS your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?" It's only natural to be curious about it! That room needs a big padlock and a "Keep out: Christine, that means you!" sign.
electronic.neko chapter 30 . 1/13/2014
I came across an article about an interesting woman today, Lizzie Velasquez. She has an exceptionally rare genetic condition that prevents her from gaining weight, to the point that she is almost skeletal. Since I've been reading this story, she strongly reminded me of Erik. Someone put her on Youtube as "the world's ugliest woman." But somehow she didn't get bitter about it, she decided to use her experience to become a motivational speaker and author. If you get a chance, you should Google her TED talk. She's quite a vivacious, engaging speaker.
electronic.neko chapter 29 . 1/13/2014
Yeesh. I can certainly understand why Nadir is reluctant to leave Christine there, given what he knows. What's the Shakespeare line..."These violent delights have violent ends"? Erik is amoral at best. Things could still go badly wrong for Christine, even if Erik is currently infatuated with her.
electronic.neko chapter 28 . 1/13/2014
Well, I suppose Christine feels reassured because a.) Erik hasn't done anything to hurt her or demanded much from her, other than that she stay, b.) at least two people have some idea where she is, and c.) Erik did not kill Nadir or become violent towards him (for a given definition of "violent," anyway).
1,046 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »