Reviews for House Beautiful
Potterworm chapter 1 . 4/19/2009
I've always felt a bit bad for Lindsey. She was such a dreamer, but when she got married, I think it was like waking up. You really captured her character beautifully.
Kate Swynford chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
Wonderful story. It was a great in-depth look at Lindsay. You made me care about her as a character.
Missez Ventimiglia chapter 1 . 8/25/2006
I'm so behind on reviewing that I didn't know where to start (I forgot I hadn't reviewed "The Opposite of Logic") but this seems to be as good a place as any. That's mainly because I'm not especially interested in Lindsay. The idea of Jess/Lindsay is completely unappealing to me and I felt sorry for Lindsay because Dean cheated on her, not because I liked *her*, as a character. And yet, by the end of this fic, I *was* interested in her and I cared about her and that's one of the marks of a good writer, in my opinion.

"the sought-after title had already been claimed by the mousy Rory Gilmore." Ha! It's always fun to see what other characters think about Rory and Lorelai.

"The prince and Cinderella were happy and in love – they were married, and that was the end. She was having trouble seeing the future beyond that one singular event." This entire story is sad, partly because we know how it turns out with Lindsay and Dean, and partly because in the beginning, Lindsay is so young. She believes in happily ever after, she believes that after you get married everything will always be perfect, and it's a little upsetting that she'll outgrow that illusion.

"“Kiss?”

“The prince wants to divorce Cinderella, but she’s too busy with the kids and therapy to notice.”" I like this, the way Lindsay can't even fathom a husband betraying his wife, and the sad (see! Again with the 'sad' - I have obviously been out of school for too long) foreshadowing.

"She was thin and taller than her friends, a brown eyed blonde that was a blue tinted step away from being a pretty cliché." And then I get farther into the story and I realize it doesn't matter that I didn't really care about Lindsay before now because I enjoy your writing so much. It's like what people say about how great actors could read the phone book and they'd be interested; if you wrote about shampoo or something just as fascinating, I'd read it eagerly.

"He would specialize in the theft of naivety and innocence, but for now he was only trying to cop a feel." And for all the talk of Stars Hollow being a place where appearances aren't deceiving and everyone lives happy, blameless lives, there are people like the boy Lindsay first kissed here, just like there are everywhere.

"“About when we’ll get divorced.” She let the final word hang in the air, but there was no change." These are the lines that make me want to yell, "Wake up, Dean! Make an effort, you asshole! Pretend you care about your wife."

"Resting her head on the arm of the chair, she said, “And we get to keep the money. I bet we’ll make a lot. People never pass up a sure thing.”" I love your dialogue.

"The room tilted, but she found her way. She was up for hours, even after Dean had collapsed beside her, exhausted. Once he was asleep, she inched closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder. Soon, her breathing evened out." This is the point where I have fully gotten into the story, and the way Lindsay seems to be always trying, seems to want whatever Dean can give her, even though she knows it's not enough, bothers me because I'm concerned about her. Bravo, Elise. Is there anything you can't do? (You even make me dislike Logan in your stories and I adore Logan and R/L even more than R/J.)

"The first two years of marriage are the hardest, she didn’t say. You’re too young, she forgot to remind her only daughter." These are some of the saddest, best lines in the story.

"She understood: feign helplessness, make him feel important. Be patient. Roll over, play dead." I like this feminist perspective on certain views of marriage.

"The color of the mirror’s frame matched perfectly, and Lindsay wanted a set. She wanted it all to fit." Everything knits together so well in this fic, and you write so that there are multiple levels of meaning in almost every sentece. It's very cohesive.

"“We’re fine.” Lindsay’s voice was short and full of tears. She was going to cry in front of the mother of Dean’s ex-girlfriend and the idea made her so sick, she wanted to run away. “We’re great.”" You do a great job with the whole awkward conversation between Lorelai and Lindsay that neither of them really want to have.

"On their first date, he brought her flowers. She was so surprised she didn’t know what to say, so she asked if they were real." I love this line; I love all the moments you've chosen to give a window into Lindsay's life.

"Dean was used to this, the imposing parental figure, the threats of injury and death. After dating a girl that had a whole town to watch over her, he could handle one overprotective parent." Rory is barely mentioned by name in this fic, but her presence is woven throughout, as if she was always The Other Woman, even in the early stages of Dean and Lindsay's relationship.

"Dirt was embedded beneath his fingernails; he had a bandage wrapped around his thumb, but she didn’t ask." It's extremely easy to place all the blame on Dean for the failure of their marriage (and I'm very willing to do so) except that a lack of communication generally involves two people. Both Dean and Lindsay don't seem interested in each other's lives apart - that is to say, they are concerned about the other person only in relation to themselves: "I hope Dean had a good day so that he's not grumpy at home" versus "I hope Dean had a good day because I want him to be happy".

"He had his feet up on the coffee table, his cell phone jammed into his pocket, set on vibrate." Ah. Is this set after Dean told Rory Lindsay didn't want them talking anymore and then they decided to continue interacting?

"When Dean didn’t come in after her or call in an apology, she sat at the table, head in her hands. More commercials wafted in, the sound of empty promises." Now the fairytale has almost completely fallen apart.

"When they drove past Yale, Dean pointed it out, explaining that a friend of his was going there in the fall. Lindsay nodded politely, barely giving the building a second glance. She was too excited about this night with Dean to give anything else much thought." So Rory is always present in Dean's head but Lindsay doesn't realize this until much later, because *she* is focused on Dean.

"She hadn’t expected this declaration, not yet – maybe not ever – but she said it back, her hand in his." I'm sorry to keep bringing Rory up in a story that isn't about her but I can't help comparing her and Lindsay's reactions the first time Dean said 'I love you' to each of them respectively.

"She inhaled sharply. He looked so sincere, so harmless, with his arm around her waist, his eyes hopeful and pleading. “Okay,” she whispered." I like your choice of words: 'sincere', 'harmless'. More false promises. I also like how you portray how rushed their relationship was (getting engaged after dating for four months. Four months!)

"She saw the townhouse and two cars in the driveway, a dog running around the yard, their children chasing after him. She kissed him again, tears in her eyes, and laughed about what would happen next. She didn’t need an epilogue to know how this story would end." And you've succeeded: you've made Lindsay likeable and interesting on her own, and not just another character on Gilmore Girls. I've probably repeated that sentiment far too many times but that was the thought I had at the end of reading this the first time. I'm glad you ended the story here, with Lindsay hopeful and happy; I find that possibly sadder (that word again) than if you had ended it with her finding about Dean's affair with Rory because that's still to come, which tinges this happiness with a sense of the hurt, anger and pain that she'll experience after.
AdinaRJ chapter 1 . 8/2/2006
Wow. That's amazing. And it's a complete coincidence that just the other day I was thinking in detail about Lindsay, and considering getting into her mind. And her life.

Now, I don't have to, because you did such a wonderful job. You made me tear up at the end - I felt for her. It made me want to reach through the screen, hug her, and promise to be her best friend, and she's much too good for Dean anyway.

I have no more words to say - except I think this is possibly my favorite piece of fanfic I've ever read.
Miarae chapter 1 . 3/22/2006
Wow. This was so sad. It was wonderful.
Erin Kaye Hashet chapter 1 . 10/22/2005
Excellent story. Well done.
Muffin Is Injured chapter 1 . 9/11/2005
This story is AMAZING. Seriously. You brought so much dimension to Lindsey's character and your portrayed how she thought and her pure naievety so well. This is incredible writing. The crazy timeline makes it even better- it wouldn't be so striking if it was linear. I love how you ended and began with the fairytale thing. How do you come up with this stuff? The random memories and things that never happened, they fit so perfectly into the real timeline and UGH this is just way too good. Stop it. It makes me feel all sad, and we barely even got to know Lindsey, or even her side of the entire story. I loved your last 'memory' thign where he askes her to marry him, and she thinks she doesn't need an epilouge. You drew us into her brain and saw how she clarified everything to herself and how she thought it would work. It makes me hate Dean, and I really loved the part how she was talking about putting a bet on their divorce, and he never even said anything until she mentioned babies and got paniced. I love how she didn't want kids, except when Dean got all freaked that she was pregnant, even when she wasn't, it made her sort of want kids, only because he didn't want them. My review is starting to lose its eloquence, if indeed it ever had any. So I shall now stop and read more of your fics (I've read the Jess one about Rory losing her memory and I love it, and I don't even read Literati's that much so there you go, you're a genius).

ciao bella,

hanna
CarebearKara chapter 1 . 8/5/2005
This is good. Interesting.
ArdentTVFiend chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
That's it. I'm sold.

Gives life to a character we hardly know. Draws sympathy.

You can do anything, can't you...
kaiyana chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
That was simply amazing. The bitter sweet set up in the begginning only made the ending more tragic. The entire story flowed beautifully, and Lindsay's character was extrememly well written, and intriguing. Great work!
smile1 chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
Hey,

To sum it up in one single sentence and a few words, this was well written, amazingly worded, and lovingly familiar.

Bye, smile :-)
someone5 chapter 1 . 8/3/2005
I cannot even begin to convey how...awesome I think this is. Awesome SO isn't the right word, and it SO doesn't even begin to cover it, but bear with me.

You've left me speechless. You're a brilliant writer - we all know that - but you've outdone yourself here. I hope you know how great this is.

Your talent continually astounds and inspires me ;)
lisehrin chapter 1 . 8/3/2005
It's hard to write a good summary, but you did and it sucked me in. It's even harder to write a good story and you more than succeeded. You fleshed out Lindsay and made her real. Kudos!
punkcatwitissues chapter 1 . 8/3/2005
Oh... man Elise. I'd be crying if I didn't know it would just make my nose more drippy. That's so... oh wow. If I didn't already feel sorry for Lindsay and want to send Dean through the meat-grinder, this would do it.

When she puts on the lingerie.. and you describe all the commercials that play while she's waiting for him, I got chills. I had this image of her standing there, trying so hard and the jerk doesnt even care.

And the whole fairytale analogy is perfect. Girls tend to read the romances and watch the fairytales and forget that after the pretty dress and the nice reception they actually have to live with these people, and that it won't be all hugs and kisses and happiness.

I'm just... wow. If I could only give a better review... I'm just so blown away by this story. And if it's all right with you, I'd like to archive it over at my BB site, and I'll be linking it at my Lindsay fanlisting as soon as I get a chance.

*continues staring at the screen in amazement and awe*
imaslacker chapter 1 . 8/3/2005
wow that was so good! i normally dont read lindsay and dean fics but the summary caught my eye, it was great!

Mandy