Reviews for Hope's Light
pacificuser chapter 12 . 6/24/2012
cool!
Dangerously Incompetent chapter 16 . 7/7/2010
An interesting chapter, this one. I enjoyed seeing Khalid and Jaheira again, and liked the dynamic between the pair and Gorion. He plays a role in their relationship which is almost similar to that of the role the pair play to Gorion's ward.

The connection between Gorion and Amelyssan is also very intriguing. It certainly puts a new spin on Amelyssan's character, and gives her some much needed depth, though I do wonder how such a relationship would affect her interaction with Reina. And if he told Jaheira and Khalid the tale, then surely Jaheira would know not to trust Melissan from the beginning...
Vild Runescarred chapter 16 . 7/6/2010
Ye Gods... a really creative explanation of Amelyssan's beginnings. I am a huge fan of darker stories, yet this one is exceptional, by any standards. I particularly enjoyed the narration of this chapter, it's style resembling a heroic tale, a prose equivalent of a chanson - de - geste. A cold, stern version of Gorion is very close to my mental image of him, such characterization made me like the story even more.

Vild Runescarred chapter 15 . 7/6/2010
Whoah, a new chapter so soon - also, gives me a chance to leave a more detailed review. It is always surprising to see a younger version of Gorion, someone with a life of his own, someone capable of love that is not fatherly. I particularly enjoyed the ending of this chapter: masterfully built tension and the description of the gruesome sight Gorion found upon entering the chamber: not gory at all, but a simple, 'clean', elegant statement, as befits the protagonist's scholarly nature.

Thank you for the chapter.

Dangerously Incompetent chapter 15 . 7/6/2010
A very powerful chapter. I love what you've done with Gorion. Sometimes it's hard to think of him as anything other than an old man, father to Bhaalspawn X, but you've done wonders with his characterisation. I like your Melissan, too. Thanks for another stellar chapter.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 15 . 7/6/2010
Very exciting chapter! I like your take on Melissan. The battle scene with Firkragg was great, and the way the chapter ended very nicely dramatic.
Dangerously Incompetent chapter 14 . 7/5/2010
I'll echo what other people have said, and congratulate you on making the story's world seem so real and vast. It's a nice change to read a Baldur's Gate story that's so different from the norm. Your plot is intriguing, and your characters are engaging. All in all, very enjoyable. I look forward to the next update, whenever that may be.
Vild Runescarred chapter 14 . 7/5/2010
Gah, how come I was not able to find it before? I was missing a really interesting story for all this time? *pouts* ;) I'm really, really happy that you updated it, the story was 'bumped' and I could finally see it. The read is great and very enjoyable, thanks to the elaborate and interesting descriptions. You are also very skillful at showing the characters emotions. No simple statements, no shoving the obvious in the reader's face. You show them instead, letting the soft grief, sorrow and determination shine through the words. But, I am babbling again, and you most probably know everything there is to know about your writing style. Thank you for the story!

Blue-Inked Frost chapter 14 . 7/4/2010
I'm really blown away by this-a great, complicated plot and lots of lovely worldbuilding details. Your story about Gorion's past was very interesting, and I can't wait to read more on where the tale's headed.
Kendris chapter 12 . 4/29/2007
You are spinning an incredible tale here, and your descriptions of the magical battles is breathtaking! I'm glad to see this continuing.
Italian Empress 1985 chapter 8 . 4/25/2007
I adore Gorion. He's exceedingly important and beloved as a true father figure to my Bhaalspawn character and I find that it seems a HUGE sacrifice how much of his life he gave up for 'love of the child'

He's wise like Elminster, powerful like Khelben and yet there is a much lighter side to him and at the same time a deep sadness I think.

I loved the bit with Khalid and it would explain the stutter and also integrates how a Calimshite merchant who had other fully human children wound up with one half gold elf boy. Can we expect to see a young druid anywhere? ;)
Jessi D chapter 7 . 10/26/2006
Hee. Gorion did his dance of LOOVVE. :D

And Khalid appears! Yey!
Kendris chapter 6 . 10/22/2006
An excellent and emotionally wrenching chapter!

Very interesting twist, having Mellisan be a former Harper, and I am eager to hear the back story behind it!

Imoen's outburst in response to Eltan was very well done; the age of the protagonists in the BG saga, and the very short span of time that covers the stories are rarely given consideration. The changes that you have put Imoen through, her bitter resentment at always feeling that she had to be "the happy one" feel very authentic. I also liked the shift in roles, with Imoen giving comfort to Gorion. It is a shift that eventually occurs in most parent-child relationships to some degree.

I definitely understand RL priorities, but these chapters are well worth waiting for!
CaitlynRoe chapter 5 . 10/13/2006
This is the first of your works I have read, and I am impressed. You show creativity in your writing, and a style that draws in the reader. I will have to read your other works also!
Kendris chapter 4 . 10/8/2006
A long while between updates, but well worth the wait!

Gorion's return to his master's dwelling was touching, the reverent respect with which he still regards Thorlaster is obvious.

The renewal of Imoen's spirit, subtle though it is at present, is nonetheless good to see.

Now...who was this Grand Duchess, and who is Gorion's unseen adversary?