Reviews for The Greatest of These
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 8/29/2006
(1 Corinthians 13:1-8) 13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding [piece of] brass or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophesying and am acquainted with all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all. 4 Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. . . .

it's just that this fic reminded me of the above scripture... paraphrasing it just didn't seem to give it justice.
moeru himura chapter 1 . 2/1/2006
Oh, I so love this fic. In just a few words, you captured the essence of what Kenshin's character was built into. Like skenshingumi mentioned, RK's greatness is not the appearances of the characters nor the action nor whathaveyou. It's the events that lead one from another to make us viewers see the depth of human character development.

And this fic just summed up that greatness. In just one sentence: "Now, especially now, long since he abandoned steel altogether, now that his weapons were acts of kindness, blessings from the heart, sacrifices of self, he knew the error of meeting violence with violence, oppression with resistance, cruelty with death.", you were able to pull off an intense and profound message. Excellent piece (and I love the title too)!:P
Warg chapter 1 . 12/26/2005
Very nice...only very slightly sappy...LOL.

There is a feeling missing, that should come to a maturing mind...satisfaction...and that pretty easy to bring abt...except in a 100 word fic...oops

Bye
Khrysalis chapter 1 . 11/18/2005
Yet another great title. I, ah, have a thing for names and titles. Try not to mind me.

"In the beginning, he saw no other path. Now, especially now, long since he abandoned steel altogether, now that his weapons were acts of kindness, blessings from the heart, sacrifices of self, he knew the error of meeting violence with violence, oppression with resistance, cruelty with death."

That seems to sum him up from birth until death, doesn't it?
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 8/8/2005
I think you have summarized beautifully one of the transcendent messages of Rurouni Kenshin and one of the reasons why I think it captures one's attention. I am not immune to the beautiful, sexy redhead, the humor or the exciting action. However, I think it is the depth and power of the deeper messages that makes RK truly stand out. One is the one you write of here, "Only love prevailed." The other is the message to forgive yourself past mistakes and live the best you can.

I loved the phrase, "the realization opened like a flower in his mind". There is such gentleness to that expression which is in counterpoint to the image of the "abandoned steel". You carry the contrast with the "weapons ...of kindness" phrase although that lovely flower imagery is what I will remember from this piece.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 8/8/2005
Oh, I love your writing style in these drabbles. Concise, lyrical, and beautiful. This is also a great interpretation of Kenshin's philosophy - and a clearer view on Seisouhen. (I'm inclined to think of Seisouhen!Kenshin as incredibly selfish, but interpretations like this can sway me).

Thanks very much!
Murasahki-chan chapter 1 . 8/6/2005
How fitting a path for Kenshin. He's just the sort of person who would concern himself with the wellbeing of those around him to the detriment of his own needs.
Terry-McElrath chapter 1 . 8/5/2005
Ooh, that was great! And you clearly portrayed such a profound truth, too. I loved it! Thank you!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 8/5/2005
You are the queen of the 100 word ficlet! Awesome character analysis of the rurouni! I loved the "his weapons were acts of kindness" phrase. Putting Kenshin's atonement in warrior type terminology was unexpected but worked unbelievably well. Life is still a battle for Kenshin, long after the bakumatsu. Great one-shot!
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
Beautiful job on this one! I love the sentiment behind it! Nice to see an upbeat moment in his life for a change :)
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
That's amazing... Really amazing. Beautiful job. Thank you for writing this.

Wow...

Sirius
White Rabbit Tale chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
I really liked this. It's a way more positive outlook on Kenshin's life. Instead of the whole "a hitokiri will always be a hitokiri."

Really excellent writing, too. It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful just 100 words can be. Really great job, I enjoyed this so much!