Reviews for Letters From the Characters
katnissem74 chapter 5 . 10/29/2012
(Too lazy to log in)
I LLOOVVEE this! I am currently writing a (serious) phanphiction about the gap between The Phantom of the Oped and Love Never Dies (if you ever get the chance, it's Beneath a Moonless Sky on by katnissem74. It has a horrible cover that I'm getting fixed ;) and I am trying SEVERELY hard for the people to be in character. And after reading this I will have to change some things! ;)
Now I have NEVER been a Raoul-basher. Actually, the first time I fell in love with POTO (about seven years old) I was team Raoul! Sure I love the Phantom (even though he's horribly insane, murderous, and probably the least-rational person in the world) and he will always have a place in my heart. I did prefer him in Love Never Dies because he seemed (if possible) a BIT less insane and he didn't kill anyone. ;)
Your story has shed new light, and completely helped me. I'm currently trying to compose a letter from Erik to Christine, and I'm hopelessly confused! I don't know to go: self-hating, regretful, angry, etc... uh I'm so torn...
Well thank you anyways!
-katnissem74
DelilahUnknown chapter 5 . 1/31/2012
First chapter I was nodding along, and chuckling a few times because of the accuracy of what you see on here. I do hate the Raoul bashing, obviously he's bloody prince charming. Besides being brash, and a few other things, he's literally the perfect fairy-tale prince. Of course Christine chooses him over "Become my living bride, or leave, but I kill your lover".

The first time I watched the movie was the Gerard version, and though I wanted a part of me to let Erik win the girl I knew it wouldn't happen becauuuuuse...dun, dun, dun. Even in fiction, characters are rational. Or at least the one's written to be sane are. Raoul was obviously the rational, safe, and generally best suitor. No sane woman would go with the murdering walking corpse. Even if they looked past all of that. Maybe, borderline maybe as a friend/contact, but that is highly unlikely.

Then there is the fanfiction. I've spent months literally going through the archives on here (whenever I develop a new obsession with a story, I try to read fanfiction to get it out of my system. Lame, I know) going through complete stories of all ratings. I really wanted to read anything that sounded decent, and I didn't mind the E/C fluff. Then...it just got out of control. Everytime I saw E/C in the summary, I Was furious. Not because they didn't actually go together in the story, but because they gave it out! What if the conflict risen again, and a choice had to be made once more? Or something like that. It's infuriating to have the biggest climax of the story spoon fed to you.

...where was I going with this? Ah, ranting...well, right. Anyway. At the same time I approve the different fanfiction (remaining mostly in character, sick of all the illegitimate kids, other women, Raoul beating). If it's decent story, good writing, characters close to as they can be corresponding to their universe then I usually enjoy them. No matter the couple or whatever. I like them because they fuel my curiosity on what could have happened, differences, blah, blah. You get it. It gets my inner fangirl/longing out. When she leaves, all is sane once more.

As sane as it can get anyway.

Anywho sorry for the long review. Especially sorry for typos. I don't think I made any, but I am on my phone. I just felt like I should share my opinion. I'm not really against fanfiction that can be hardly believable, at the same time I want them to make it as close as possible, but maybe interrupted differently. Somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Thanks for the chuckles and insight. Oh, and I know you wrote this years ago, but as I said I'm surfing through the archives currently.
Mercy-chan chapter 2 . 10/18/2011
Love Raoul so much! I do like the stories where Erik and Christine come together but Raoul is still seen as likeable. Must say I love Raoul's letter! I am happy to see this gentlemen have some backbone!
Queen NekoChan chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
i have never read any Phantom of the Opera fanfiction. though things like ooc-ness, mary-sues, and wrong character pairings are things i see all the time on this one manga called FullMetal Alchemist. the most common pairing for that is RoyEd. the big problems with this are listed as; they fight all the time and practically hate each other, they're both guys, Ed is either 15 or 16 and Roy is 30 something, Roy is a handsome playboy and is seen many times slacking of from work to call his girlfriend, Ed is a stubborn shorty with a nasty temper and is seen at the end wearing a wedding ring and holding a little kid, etc. oh crap! i wrote some things that you probably don't care about! so... i find your fanfiction funny.
Christine Daae DE CHAGNY chapter 3 . 3/17/2010
Well written, convincing, refreshing, and don't worry, I for one am R/C, even if only realistically (look at the username!)
RaoulSupporter chapter 7 . 2/4/2010
Yes, Erik is sorta crazy/evil... but if he's reading this, can he not be? (This will make no sense if it's not posted on the main story.)
darkestharmony chapter 1 . 7/21/2009
This makes me want to write really naughty Eric/Raoul fic.

LOL.
Consulting Timelady chapter 7 . 2/21/2009
No! *sniff* it's over? Really?

Wow. I now have respect for Raoul.

Hmm, I was wondering (Although I'm pretty sure the answer is going tot be yes)if I could mention you/this story in one of mine? It's called "The Phantom of the Notepad" if you care about that.

Anyway. I thought you portrayed the characters very well, including Nadir, which I found hard to accomplish, due to the lack of a background story.
Truth Questor chapter 3 . 7/11/2008
People need to give Christine more credit. If any of us were in her place, I don't think we would have done much differently.
Truth Questor chapter 2 . 7/11/2008
Raoul is definitely a better man than Erik. Raoul is very worthy of Christine, and he DOES have admirers.

Raoul/Christine Forever!
IceSnowAndGlamour chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
Hahaha!

Sorry Erik...but I still ship you with Daroga...

"Common Misconception #3: I am “hot,” which I understand to mean “appealing” or “handsome.” Perhaps you ladies did not get the picture. I IN NO WAY RESEMBLE THE MAN KNOWN AS GERALD BUTLER (who, by the way, is a second-rate singer at best)! I am a living corpse with no visible eyes, no nose, no hair, and hands that smell of death. Unless times have seriously changed, that is not considered handsome in the least. Quite the opposite, in fact. There. I said it. Are you happy now?"

HAHAHA!
MadMar chapter 7 . 10/5/2007
I made it. I got to Nadir/The Persian's Chapter! Which is wonderful, by the way.

My dear Daroga,

Just thought you ought to know you have your own phangirl following. Though, I must say, we aren't as deranged as Erik's fans or as persecuted as Raoul's fans. I just thought you ought to know that your role is apperciated and there are those of us who do love you. And, if you're looking for somewhere sunnier, you may want to try Texas. I live here and it's still nice and warm despite the fact it's October.

Affectionately,

Cassie
MadMar chapter 6 . 10/5/2007
Meg is the awesomest. Although, I personally see no problems with E/M (movieverse or AU). It's phanphiction after all, and those of us who write it mean no insult towards the characters or original plot. In fact, a good portion of E/M phics are wonderfully in character for both Meg and Erik. It's more challenging and rewarding, IMO than EC. But, that's just my opinion.
MadMar chapter 5 . 10/5/2007
Gotta love how Madame Giry comes to everyone else's defense as well as her own. lol. I'm enjoying this deeply.
MadMar chapter 3 . 10/5/2007
Very true. Christine is the furthest thing from a slut - she didn't preform favors for patrons to get promoted, which is something I've always admired about her character. Very good chapter.