Reviews for Shades of Truth
MaterMind chapter 1 . 7/3/2014
I just finished reading this, and I'm almost speechless. It has left me with the same feeling that you should have after a great scary story. My mind is... I can't find the right word. I loved this. My only regret is the fact that it is now 3 am, and I need to sleep.
TaMaMe chapter 36 . 7/24/2012
this story was awesome! it really got me reading it although i wanted to stop after chapter 5... but then i kept on reading and i don't regret it ;) i can't even describe how much i like it! i read it all today even though i had other things to do... your writing is so good! it's really different than most of the storys i already read and i love it ;) keep on going!
but i still have one question: was all of that yami/yugis plan? was he controlling kaiba? i'm confused :/ sorry!
cookies111 chapter 6 . 2/22/2011
Oh, great story, love everything about it but I have one question. The little diary entry things in italics before the chapter begins, does that have to do with the story or is it just for fun? I just wanna know cause I love this story and dont wanna wast time reading things I dont have t. Thanks for the story :D
Silver-ShadowSpark chapter 36 . 12/3/2010
Creepy. I think you made Yami a little too dark. I've read all the manga, and he wouldn't go that far. Other than that, good story.

Spark
mirage-musician chapter 36 . 6/21/2009
Wow, that was a great story. It was interesting how you used the manga to help explain the story even though it could stand alone w/o explainations, I think, but it did help for people who would not know aout the manga and what you were refering to be able to read the reference, I had long since forgotten about Yugi's mom even though I have seen her once in one of the manga books, when she walked in and Yugi was playing concentration with his socks, lol! Anyway this story really remindered me of the movie secret window, were he didn't even realize until the end that he was the real I wasnt expecting the ending and even though it was really sad and seemed kinda out of character for Kaiba, I did enjoy the story very much. It is very hard to keep my attention with out of character stories but you did it very well. Awesome job!(sorry for my bad english, I just didnt take the time to puncuate correctly or check my spelling)
Elizabeth chapter 11 . 1/2/2007
EEK! I hate that horrible dragon! Want. . . to. . . kill. . . evil dragon. . .

Fantasic story so far.
BlackWolfHowling chapter 36 . 11/24/2006
Ok, I have to approve of your intellegence. Not many authors use quote unquote "large" words. You spun a good tale, the first and last chapters reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe. However, I can't approve of you making Kaiba, and perhaps the Pharoh murderers. With the exception of being possessed or insane, Kaiba would NEVER HURT MOKUBA! For crying out loud he LOVED HIM! As for the pharoh, he WANTED Kaiba to complete the puzzle. They were FRIENDS for goodness sakes! And killing MOUKUBA! How cold are you? Not only did you KILL him, you made KAIBA do it! And not only did he DO it, he ENJOYED it! Other than that, I liked it. Your a solid writer, and I plan to read more of your works. If I said anything too harsh, please tell me. I was merely stating my opinion, and am not in the habbit of flaming people. In fact, this was my very first one. Hope you don't hate my guts. Kepp writing.
Angel2003320 chapter 2 . 10/7/2006
:D
Angel chapter 1 . 10/7/2006
:D:D
HiKari Mokuba's Guardian chapter 36 . 7/5/2006
It's a great story, moving, and keeps you interested, even with 36 chapters(a lot of stories don't do that with me, I am easily bored.) But it was absolutely brillant, and I hope to see more stories as great as this.

Keep on trucking.

-Kari
AmunRa chapter 36 . 5/21/2006
Sigh... I had written a very good review to this story as soon as I'd finished reading it. I spent a half hour on it and then when I clicked submit, I got an error page. With no way to return to the review and copy my text to put it in another review, I was left with having to write it once again. The thing is, it's just not the same... but I'll try to recreate what I'd said originally.

I was left speechless at the end of the story, which is why it took me so long to actually write the review and submit it. I don't think I've ever had a story leave me at such a loss for words before, so it's a testament to your wiring that you can do that to me.

The story ended in a way that I did not anticipate (mainly because I wasn't willing to consider the possibility that Kaiba could, indeed, have murdered his brother) so yes, it shocked me. The tale you weaved, though, with all of the subtle clues and carefully placed hints and beautiful descriptions, could have led to no other conclusion. My first thought was to review and say 'no, there's no way he could have done that' but, whether I like it or not, that's the way the events unfolded. Besides, I've always leaned more towards the darker side of things, which makes the ending plausible and enjoyable.

I don't follow the manga, even though I've read a few chapters at the beginning (through Death T) and at the end (through the Egyptian arc). I have also watched the original, much more violent, series. I don't think I can ever see Yami as sadistic as the series made him (or Yugi as clueless), but it helps to know that is possible when getting to the end of your story. You also have a way with metaphors that really adds to the intricacy of the story telling.

The most poignant chapter to me was the last one, where you give the journal such human qualities that it almost made me cry. It was as if the journal had inherited the love and devotion that Kaiba had once had for his brother, down to the very end. I also feel for Kaiba, regardless of what he'd done. It just goes to show what separating yourself from the world around you to live a life of solitude and loneliness can lead a person to. Mokuba's journal entries, while short, were very powerful as well. There's nothing more heartbreaking than the question of 'why' when related to someone you love hurting you.

I mentioned once that you had restored my faith in the fandom, and I have to admit, I have never been as excited about reading or writing fanfiction as I am right now. Thank you so much for that! I really hope to see more stories from you soon!
AmunRa chapter 16 . 5/18/2006
Arg... the little tidbits of Seto's diary at the beginning are torture! It's like you're slowly weaving this tale, and being the impatient person that I am, it's driving me nuts (in a good way, of course!)

The dynamics between Seto and Mokuba are very well done! I especially like how you switch point of views between them to get both sides of the story. They're slowly being driven insane and neither one of them knows it. That's just incredibly heartbreaking.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest. Thank goodness you're already finished with the story!
AmunRa chapter 4 . 5/16/2006
Another great start! I absolutely adore the relationship between Seto and Mokuba. They're unique individuals whose life is tied up in one another, but those ties are what make each of them the way that they are. You portray that very well here. And like I said earlier, your write Kaiba in first person very well! I have to admit that the summary and the prologue have me worried. I'm going to have to wait and find out what happens.
Ms. Usui chapter 36 . 3/16/2006
This is one of the best and most descriptive stories I've ever read. At first, the plot confused me, but leading up to the ending was a shock! I never would have guessed the outcome, awesome job! I have to admit though, I don't know who the 'figure' at the end is that was burning Kaiba. Who is that? sounds like Yugi but... I'm not sure. Love this story!
surrealserpente chapter 36 . 3/1/2006
D: You are a master of devastating endings! A delight (if that's the right word...) to read.