Reviews for The Legacy
tomaO2 chapter 26 . 6/9/2013
Not bad, nothing technically wrong with the writing but it feels a bit stiff to me. I was looking for an Early Edition story and this fit the bill. I liked how you handled the various saves (probably my favourite part) and was interested when I found that it was a Seventh Heaven cross.

Your Ruthie wasn't bad, although I did feel you were a bit ridiculous by making her not only one of the best artists under 30 but also making her unwilling to sell anything in order to live. If she was that worried about making sure that her art ended up in a good home she could have simply vetted the person that wanted it. Just because they want to buy doesn't mean that they are unworthy of having it, which is what you are having Ruth imply with her attitude that only people that are friends can have her art, as a gift.

The first chapter is a mess. Do you know how to edit on this website? It's a bit tricky but it's very possible. That's the only reason I can think as to why you haven't fixed that, ugly, super-paragraph.

My main problem was the forced reveal about the newspaper. Ruth did it in the worst possible way. It's not alright to break into people's homes, camp out around their place and then grab their possessions. She could have done it directly if she had wanted. This is clear, by the way you had her talk to the other paper guy (which was the RIGHT way to go about it) later on. I'm not quite sure that Gary would go quite as far as you had him go. I do, however, feel that he would think she was trying to steal the paper on him and he would be angry about the way she went about it. Her being angry at him for his misunderstandings and rejection of her pitifully made offer of help was extremely petty in comparison.

In short, he was very justified in his behaviour and it really bothered me the one-sided way you portrayed it. Everyone goes, "gee, you messed up Gary". No. SHE messed up by camping at his door. Absolutely everyone gave her total benefit of the doubt without questioning her as to why it was so important for her to get his paper before he could.

She didn't need to do that, as is evidenced by the way she confronted the other paper guy she met. That was the proper way, she could have easily done this directly but she didn't, she snuck around and while you tried to balance it a bit later on until the made up it was bash Gary time and that really didn't fly with me. When he apologised for his behaviour I felt that he should not have dismissed what she did because it was a huge reason as to WHY he acted that way. She was told by her dad that a person with knowledge of the future has a huge burden and the way she confronts him does not ease it.

To make it worse, you have her break in AGAIN so she can vent her anger with her painting and, of course, it's all 'Gary messed up and everyone should keep guilt tripping him'. This harping was even more annoying to me when compared to that reporter that kept trying to expose her later on. The damage that woman did was far greater then anything Gary did, and with far less justification, but Ruth didn't lose her temper for that. I'd be far more angry about the reporter who's life I took a bullet to save then I would be about the guy that didn't want my help after it seemed like I was trying to steal his paper.

I think the whole incident was overblown. I get that you wanted to make a plot point out of it but you pushed the drama too high and made it one sided. A more balanced approach would have worked better. Like I thought having Ruth do a painting to express her dismay was a good idea but making it a hate piece for his eyes only was bothersome.

Then, after it's all resolved with Gary, she goes out and tells someone about Gary's paper because she feels it shouldn't be a secret. Not her call. I can't remember anyone in the series that willingly started spreading it around when they found out about the paper. Whether or not it would be best if the friend knows is beside the point. The paper only continues going as long as secrecy is maintained. One wrong person finding out and the whole thing sinks. It all worked out in the end but I didn't feel that having Ruth do that was a good idea, story wise, especially if you are showing she deserves to know. ESPECIALLY after she has shown bad judgement several times by this point. I felt there was too much whitewashing of Ruth's actions.

Gary is also pretty anal with his paper and I'm not sure he would have been willing to give Ruth the amount of freedom with it in the short time she had been around. Not a big deal though. I also thought that him saving Ruth should have been a larger plot point, as well. You mainly used it just as a set up to start investigating him. There was very little about her gratitude or reactions from the rest of her family about having the man that saved their daughter suddenly be her new boss. Where were they when Ruth almost died anyway.

I also thought there was a missed opportunity to compare Ruth's investigation with that of the reporter, who starts investigating Ruth, after Ruth saves her life. You could have used that, at least.

Overall, the story is competent enough but has some flaws and missed opportunities.
PhoenixRe chapter 27 . 4/28/2011
Great story. It's a shame there isn't much multi-chaptered stories for EE out there but yours was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. I may or may not read the sequel - I try to avoid incomplete stories because if I like it a lot then I am left wondering and frustrated - but if I do I am sure I will enjoy it as well.
BrianBach5 chapter 27 . 8/17/2009
Very nice story ! I like the way you developed the characters, both old (Gary, Marasa and Toni) as well as Ruthie and her friends. Very nicely done ! I've also read your Denver version and found the scene with Armstrong especially funny, witty and well written. I hope that you can finish that one and keep going with your cross-overs and creativity.
Victory-Starr chapter 27 . 12/13/2005
That was a nice little twist there you ended with. The ending though was kinda sad. You nearly had me in tears!

Oh; and sorry about not being around. My computer was down, so, you probably get the idea.

Anyway, a great ending. This has been a very enjoyable read. Definitely a favorite. Thanks!
snipsa chapter 27 . 11/28/2005
Great final chapter to a great story! I can't wait to see what you have in store for her in Denver, hopefully it would still include our favourite McGinty's bunch ;)

I feel that you've settled everything in this story, explained every single word, all that in a very short chapter, to say I'm impressed won't cover it.

Brilliant job, can't wait to read the concluding fic!
Snipsa chapter 26 . 11/24/2005
Sorry, having some trouble logging in today.

This was yet again a brilliantly written chapter, with so much emotion and depth in it it seems as though these characters are part of real life.

I found this a very fitting way, probably the most fitting, for Ruth to leave as it shows the impact she had made not only on her close friends but also those at school, those who taught her.

I'm sad that this story is coming to an end, but can't wait for the final chapter, as well as the concluding book of this series. I do understand your need to go back to the buffyverse, a person needs diversity in life. But know this, I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next story when you do decide to continue with it.

It's been a great journey reading this well thoughout story, thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us!
Victory-Starr chapter 25 . 11/16/2005
Oh, gosh, I just finished reading this, like, 2 seconds ago and I'm nearly in tears. This is terrible! Ruthie can't leave! I don't know what you could possibly have planned to fix this major dilemma, but you're gonna have to do it fast or I might just whither away and die! I know how it feels to be told you're going to have to leave the place you love most; I really do. And because of that, I can relate to Ruthie so well I want to cry.

All in all, this was a wonderful chapter; maybe, I dare say, one of the best yet. I don't know how you can do it, but I am so glad you can! Reading and keeping up with this story has been so enjoyable. Thank you so much for writing and sharing your work with us!
snipsa chapter 25 . 11/16/2005
Sheesh, you we're almost able to have me cry at work - almost!

Wonderful chapter, definitely worth the wait! I feel so sorry for Ruth and all the rest, can't imagine what it must feel like to have to leave everything and everyone you care about!

Glad Janet finally realised what she had done, unfortunetly too late! But that's life for you!

Brilliant, keep it up, can't wait for the next installment!
snipsa chapter 24 . 11/8/2005
Great chapter!

I wanted to wringe Janet's neck for the way she attacked Ruthie, but again you show us that the girl does have a heart. I have a feeling that she is just a confused girl who needs answers, she knows that her life was saved, but doesn't know how or why Ruthie had done it.

Mind working overtime here, sorry!

Good work, can't wait to see where you're going with this!
Victory-Starr chapter 24 . 11/8/2005
Hey, another wonderful chapter well done! I really feel sorry for Ruthie. And I know how she feels about going cold turkey. That's how I feel when I've been watching Early Edition for ages and PAX goes and replaces it with "The A-Team"!

Anyway, I really enjoyed this "edition". But, Janet is really starting to bug me! Can't she just lay off? Gee, give the poor girl (and Gary and the rest of the gang!) a break, Janet! I guess it takes certain people to be a reporter, huh?

Well, anyhow, wonderful chapter and I can't wait to read more!
Victory-Starr chapter 23 . 11/7/2005
Wow! I really liked this chapter! You've done a great job here! And I really liked these lines;

“I don’t want your name popping up in this thing and forcing me to call the Coast Guard to find your waterlogged butt.”

“Just get going you little punk”

Those lines had me laughing so hard!

And I love the friendship that Ruthie has developed with Gary, Toni, and Marissa. You've worked it out real well. This is terrible about Ruth not helping with the Paper! But, I trust you have a plan, so I'll be quiet now. Please keep up the awesome work!
snipsa chapter 23 . 11/2/2005
Ahh, poor Ruthie! I wish that Janet would just drop it! But as a friend of a journalist I do know that once they get a sniff of a story they'll do anything to find out what's going on, just hope it doesn't ruin Ruthie and Gary's lives!

I can't imagine her not being "in" on the paper, it just won't be the same, so I'm pretty sure you've got a bunch of Aces still up your sleeves, can't wait for all of them to be revieled!

Brilliant, hope to read more soon!
Victory-Starr chapter 22 . 10/31/2005
Well, that chapter was another great one! I'm glad the Early Edition part of is seeming busier. For awhile there it was kinda still... But, I'm also glad it's not TOO busy; we'd end up with a bunch of Mary Sue's on here. Well, I'm drifting.

Anyway, another nice touch. I, for one, am hoping Janet won't find out about the Paper. I'm also hoping to see more of Gary. That'd be nice... You are very talented! Please keep writing!
snipsa chapter 22 . 10/30/2005
This is really getting more brilliant with each chapter. I felt like I was at the wedding ceremonies, the way they all acted, well it's pretty much a normal wedding, with all it's chaos and the two families still getting accustomed to each other.

I am so jealous of the fact that you seem to be able to so easily merge such differents parts of the story into one. The whole Janet thing alons with Simon and Lily, and then of course Ruth and the McGinty clan, everything fits perfectly into the story.

The fact that you've ended the last few chapters with Janet, seems to be a smart ploy by you, to remind us that she is a very important part of the storyline and shouldn't be underestimated. I hope that she does speak with Meredith before doing anything stupid. And I hope that Meredith will be able to find a way to get her to drop the story.

You've got me hooked to this!
snipsa chapter 21 . 10/28/2005
Very good update. Leave it to Ruthie to meet another Paper Guy!

Hope to read some more about him in future updates, I'd like to see if you have plans for him and Ruthie together.

I'm guessing the letters Janet is keeping have something to do with Gary, maybe people he has saved?

Still very good, this is progressing brilliantly!
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »