Reviews for Had I Known
bellachrome chapter 26 . 7/10
dang i hate dumbledore so much
Animago chapter 7 . 7/5
Cara... Nunca ouvi tantas verdades!
Animago chapter 4 . 7/5
Ha! Adorei! Poderia ficar dias e semanas lendo nessa comunidade "poções e bufos". Tem fanfics incriveis!
Animago chapter 2 . 7/5
Ai cara... Estou começando a me arrepender por não ser snarry...
Animago chapter 1 . 7/5
Eu não queria ler mas sua eloquência e humor me fizeram ficar. Parabéns pela talento natural e envolvente!
Sungaya chapter 1 . 6/28
HiI just reread your story once again and wanted to tell you that it's absolutely brilliant!
I really love your characters and their interactions as well as the entire fascinating storyline that never gets boring!
Kind regards,
Sungaya
Nisprior246 chapter 50 . 6/24
I. Loved. This. Story.
Seriously, you have got to be working magic with your words. The plot was brilliant, and the flow was perfect. Your descriptions aren't too many or too less, and add a nice flavour to the story. I loved the way you portrayed Snape! And Harry was fantastic, confusing the hell out of Snape every two seconds in the beginning. Even though I dislike Dumbledore bashing, this is going on my favourites list, for sure.
Fascinatingly beautifully painful. Intricately broadly startling. A fine, clever, precocious, shy, precious work of intelligent art.

In other words, enrichingly, beautifically harrowing. Heart-rending. Stunning. Wild. Timid. All-encompassing.

An absolutely unbreakably, timeless and tender piece.
MazzyStarShip chapter 49 . 5/20
It's a good story, and I'm glad I read it. Apart from the implausibility of an illness that can literally undo time, it was a very well-told and articulate story. The only real weakness is that the catharsis of this story is a whimper, not a bang. There is no justice here, and the bad guys didn't get their just rewards.

I suspect your response would be 'That's the whole point. This is what suffering looks like in real life and the world isn't fair.' I agree. I love the literary references you've used throughout, all of which are musings on the fragility and existential horror of real life. Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, as the man would say.

The problem is that your story wasn't aiming for that kind of realism. The angst built and built and built until it was ready to explode; the suffering that Harry went through was so exaggerated and catastrophic that only an equally powerful catharsis could balance the story. When your story *revels* in angst to the point of sadism, you must also lets your readers *revel* in the relief of, if not a happy ending, then some sort of justice. If we must stare into the abyss, you must also let us laugh at kittens (or Luna). Otherwise the emotional impact of the story is like getting hit with a truck made out of pure nihilism, and I say that as a nihilist.

Anyway, I hope you don't take any of this as an insult. It's meant in a spirit of constructive criticism and even admiration. You're clearly an intelligent, articulate author, which is rare in fanfiction. I apologize for not putting as much emphasis on what the story does really well, which is almost everything. It's just that most people don't read fanfiction to understand the bleak profundity of Yeats or Eliot. We do it because it's a wonderful escape from that.

Best of luck. I'd love to read more of your stories.
MazzyStarShip chapter 47 . 5/20
God, that was brutal.
MazzyStarShip chapter 41 . 5/20
A remarkable, articulate chapter. I enjoyed Harry's enlightenment, even if it was a hollow one. I hadn't realized till just now how remarkably Christian your point of view is. The job of your heroes is to suffer endless horror, learn to embrace it, and then forgive their enemies. It's a noble sentiment, but like I said, there's not much room for justice or catharsis in it. Ironically it is very close to Dumbledore's point of view.
MazzyStarShip chapter 40 . 5/20
You're very good at manipulating the emotions of your readers. It's definitely something to be proud of. But you're not very good at delivering what readers need for catharsis. You can build tension and anxiety and rage like few others, but rarely in your stories do you provide your readers with the release they need. The bad guys don't get punished enough in your world. If they even do get punished, it happens offscreen. The manipulative old men like Dumbledore are sometimes made to feel guilty, but they never get their just desserts. The proper genre for all of your stories is tragedy, even if there's a perfunctory attempt at a happy ending.

As bad as Voldemort was, he was closer to an insane, rabid animal than a human being. His cruelty was irrational. Dumbledore's cruelty was cold and calculating, capable of justifying anything because his own conscience was the only one that mattered. He is in some ways worse than Voldemort, and the only way to rescue your readers from the anxiety you've created is to literally crucify this old man. Such an action wouldn't be hypocritical, because it's not the same as what Voldemort did. Voldemort's torture was sadism; torturing Dumbledore to death, even with Harry's memories, would be justice.

Mercy without justice grows unmerciful, as CL Lewis put it. That is one of Dumbledore's biggest sins. But angst without justice festers like emotional gangrene. That is your narrative sin, even if you're a great writer.
MazzyStarShip chapter 35 . 5/20
Nice chapter; it's hard to believe that this Harry finds Bellatrix' death to be embarrassing though. He has killed many people since then, and none of them deserved it more than Bellatrix. Is it because of the brutality of her death that he seems ashamed?
MazzyStarShip chapter 32 . 5/20
Brilliant chapter. It's hard not to root for Shadow and Ayla. Snape's plan was excellent, though I do hope you show us Dumbledore finally realizing what a monster he is. That, or executing him. Simply letting him off the emotional hook because he's a stubborn, true believer in himself isn't very satisfying.

Dumbledore reminds me of every preacher I've ever heard, even the least fanatical of them. He has a story that he is desperate to believe, even in the face of overwhelming contradiction, and who will stop at nothing to force other people to believe that story too, even if it destroys them. It's all just a test of one's faith, after all. If you can't tell, I hate organized religion with a fiery passion. If there's a hell, it will mostly be populated by the people who commit atrocities in the name of God.
MazzyStarShip chapter 28 . 5/20
Great story, but I wish you wouldn't give me reasons to hate Tonks. Her stupidity here is quite exaggerated.
4,786 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »