Reviews for jacks
sophie j chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
I love this. I think it's a fantastic metaphor for politics or any career which involves a lot of it. You carry it through well, the risk and gambles, but also the idea that so much is chance. It's very suited to Percy's character and an engaging read. Good believable insight into his psyche.
Gender Outlaw chapter 1 . 3/11/2009
Ah, what a wonderful and sad little oneshot.

It was amazing.
KrisEleven chapter 1 . 11/17/2008
Wow! This was really good. I loved the comparison, and the use of brackets. The italics seemed a little skewed, so maybe it should have been read over and adjusted before you posted. Ff dot net does the strangest things with structure.

KrisEleven
Prieda Solo chapter 1 . 12/4/2007
Great.

I do feel sorry for Percy. Poor bloke. And then just like peter and lucius and reggy he got let down at the end by the author. I do love JK's writing, but she's a bit heavy handed when it comes to morality. :(

Anyway, lovely lovely description here, and I do think the metaphore fits in so wonderfully well. I like the juxtaposition of his life and the game, and the ending was very sweet, sort of heartbreaking as well.

Great work D
Frayed Misfit chapter 1 . 10/5/2007
Wow. This was amazingly powerful! You have used such a simple metaphor to capture such conflicting and deblitating views, Percy is such a hard character to portray because he is the black sheep of the Weasley family (so to speak) yet you have managed to capture his true essense wonderfully.

- Frayed
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
This was awesome! Great metaphore! Very well written. Excellent suspense.
PurpleArmadillo chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
Wow, this is the first Percy fic I've ever read, and I must say that I'm certainly glad I chose this one. Brilliant how you drew a parallel bewteen him goal and winning a game of jacks. Most people would say that, you know, why doesn't he just turn back and start anew with his family; but you explained it so well: "But it's too late to turn back. It's too late to start from square one. Nothing you've done on the way to Fivesies can be changed. Cheating, fighting, yelling, turning a blind eye... it's already happened, and you can't undo the past."

I also loved how, near the end, you switched between describing the game and telling the story in ittalics.

-PA
roses and hello chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
Oh, the poor struggle of all of the brothers. I love Percy for his complexity, and I think you certainly did him justice here. The game ties in so nicely with his life, where he's desperately trying to keep everything together - and it fits in nicely with DH too. Reading over, I like how the levels correspond with Percy's positions in the books - intentional or not?
Lexie-H chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
this is a fantastic metaphor to run through your story: although i dont entirely understand the game, it really does seem to fit Percy nicely, especially his persistence. you convey his character wonderfully - and i think Penny's line at the end is so profound. i really enjoyed this, well done!
EHWIES chapter 1 . 8/25/2007
/Brilliant/ ending; I loved the way you switched mid-sentence between the two scenarios, the game of jacks and waiting in the office. Excellent!
lyin chapter 1 . 8/22/2007
nice character analysis- simple, creative metaphor- the analysis of percy's real desire 'cooler than Charlie, etc.'- which corresponds well w/ ron's actually- is particularly memorable and so Percy. love 'spunky' for ginny, suits her perfectly. interesting pov, and great last line. nice job, keep writing :)
hydraspit chapter 1 . 8/22/2007
This is a very interesting story, and a very good analogy. I really liked your writing style, you use of the jacks interspersed with the real action.

This is a really good peice of writing. I reall enjoyed reading this.
Padfootatheart chapter 1 . 8/22/2007
Wow...the metaphors in this are the power.

Truly this is one of the most thought out character sketches i've ever read...the end was brilliant, with the switching off like that.

This whole thing was ingenius, and the part where Percy compares himself to his siblings striving to be better, striving to be accepted again.

And the fact that he recognizes all the things he's done to get to this point...that was amazing.

So over all, a stunning piece of work.

Congratulations on such an achievement,

Paddy
Cuban Sombrero Gal chapter 1 . 8/21/2007
I like the jack analogy ... very unique! And this is a great look at Percy.

This was recommended by cupid-painted-blind at the Reviews Lounge, a community for underreviewed fics to gain more attention. This is a brilliant fic, and I'm going to archive it there. Feel free to pop in and check out some of our other fics and say hi, if you want

Cuba
SweetSouthernGal chapter 1 . 8/21/2007
I really like this stroy...its a great analogy. the switching with the breaks and the alternating facings is weird at first- but has a nice effect once you get into it. good job.