Reviews for The Monkshood Plant
smaller chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
I have had the hardest time trying to find an actual translation of those lyrics. I can't even find an indication on any English page about "Le chat noir" being a song. ;_; It's only frustrating because I would have expected the internet to provide me with this information, but alas for me.

Clearly, I need to learn French. :D

I really enjoy what you've shared of this story. Thank you for giving me some happy smiles reading it!
smaller chapter 5 . 5/7/2012
Another excellent story of yours - this is getting to be a trend! I'm going to have to read your M&C stories next (imagine my joy to stumble across a Les Miz fan author who also does Jack and Stephen!), after my current Les Miz kick peters out.

I wasn't certain I'd like this one at first (werewolf stories can be pretty awful), but based on my enjoyment of your other fics I gave it a go, and I'm very happy that I did!

Am I very far off the mark in guessing that the recent shenanigans of his curse might contribute to Javert throwing himself into the Seine a few story-months from now? Things don't seem to be going well for the poor guy, but I'm glad he has Vidocq to try and maybe look out for him a little bit.

Anyway, let me add to the voices encouraging you to think about maybe re-continuing this one day. The mystery and my concern for Javert in this story grew with every chapter, and I'd love to see where it would go. (And I know you asked for constructive criticism, but I would feel pretty shabby jumping in on an older unfinished fic just to make little quibbles. Maybe once it starts again? :D)

Your stories have given me some good hours of enjoyment - thank you so much.
Simplicity512 chapter 5 . 9/23/2011
I beg you, on my hands, paws and feet... WRITE MORE!
Simplicity512 chapter 1 . 9/23/2011
BRILLIANT! Javert will never be the same, to me, again. :)
Insanemistosingsmore chapter 5 . 2/5/2010
Oh my goodness...this is the best fic I have ever read...please continue this...I can't believe I have never seen this fic before...Update, Update, Update, please, please, please.
jeeves chapter 5 . 12/2/2007
oh, i forgot to mention this bit. it seems insensitive to chuckle at the bit about the suicide "found in the River just past the Pont au Change", but i did. nice use of text.
jeevesthemighty chapter 5 . 12/2/2007
haha, i love your BadDoggy!Javert... it's hypocritical of me, as wooster (my cowriter on another name) have always been slow updaters, but one would be nice :).

my highest regards for an excellent story,

Anonymous chapter 5 . 7/8/2007
Things are getting good! Please update!
AmZ chapter 5 . 5/5/2007
Man, why'd you stop right when it was getting so juicy?
Darth Gilthoron chapter 5 . 3/8/2007

Lookit, a little error in the first line... "aloud" instead of "allowed".

Oh dear, the poor doggy is in a bad state... I feel inclined to scratch his ears. His confused sleepiness is rather nice.

And where did his clothes really get to?

And then he thinks with his stomach. Poor hungry doggy. I just fear he's going to do something he shouldn't now...

Interesting menu Vidocq has, lol. And oh my, could that be our doggy inspector, mauling people and massacring chicken and then breaking into a wine cellar? Wine cellar, though? Hm. And why would he maul a man? I mean, I get the chicken, but... Oh well, let's wait and see if it was him at all.

And why that timidness?

Oh. Blimey. So it was him after all. BAD DOGGY. Seems he's in big trouble now...
AmZ chapter 5 . 3/6/2007
**attempts to contain giggles at the thought of Javert lying naked, bloodied and covered in chicken down in the privy**

AmZ chapter 4 . 10/12/2006
Always great to see such competently written French coppers. :) Poor Javert though! Is he about to go into doggie-mode and stay there? That'd be a bitch...
Darth Gilthoron chapter 4 . 10/11/2006
Hehe, Valentine troubles. It's a rather ridiculous day really, how right he is about that. :)

Vest is a piece of undergarment here? Only because I used to know it as something you wear above your shirt. Might be a non-natives speaker's mistake. :)

Some pieces of clothing always wander under the bed. Well observed. ;)

The beetle - lol!

And the floorboard... how clever. That's a nice touch, those little teasings between them.

Nice name. ;D Though as far as I know the male form is spelled "Valentin", and what you have there is the female one, but I'm not quite certain. Anyway, entertainment enough... *snicker*

But at least this I know with certainty: It's Edouard. (with that o, yes)

And good to have some canon action gong on in the background, this way we really get the idea we're just delving into the story more deeply.

And, did Vidocq nick the snuff box? Ah, apparently not.

But why can't he touch it? Hmm, this is really getting mysterious...

If you ask me, this is about time he met hislady wolf to get his mind off things... )

Altogether I enjoyed your new instalment and am looking forward to what's going to happen during the night, but I'm afraid I can't write a review as long as this would deserve it since I have to get some work done now. Again. *groan*
Darth Gilthoron chapter 3 . 6/6/2006
*feeds you aniseed* Does that work too? Oh well, I'm already review-doping you, so it may work double. :P

Were-bale-of-hay? How weird can it get? LOL!

Now who is this kid? You're making me wonder...

"Side-tracked. Right. I don’t think I need to ask what the ‘side-tracked’ was. Dacquin being Dacquin it’d probably be in the region of the rue de Lanneau, and we all know what that means, don’t we?"

That's a particularly nice example of sarcasm. :-)

And that spoon scene... LOL! Especially the dialogue with the shopkeeper.

And not surprising at all he would want something silver, though I'd have taken a knife had I been him, for reasons of style. (though a spoon is a lot more comical, of course)

"Gradually, I become aware of a soft sobbing noise coming from what I assume is the concierge’s sitting room. Cautiously, I knock on the door. A few minutes later a rather elderly lady opens the door, clutching a hanky and a scrumpled up piece of paper."

A few minutes? Does Vidocq have to wait for several MINUTES before she lets him in?

And now the question of the concierge's boy is answered. She's more than a bit crazy, isn't she? :)

Oh, and look at the bad doggie ruining all the furniture... Just yesterday I saw a pretty good example of such claw marks, and they were surprisingly deep... Had nobody to take him for a walk, eh? ;)

And how rude of Vidocq to wake him when he's not wearing a thing. *lol* Might have put a blanket over him first.

And whacking him with a newspaper! Ye gods! *lol* My dad used to do that with his silly little dachshund!

Javert shows no reaction to being found naked. Hmm. I certainly would. I'd pull the blanket over myself, at least up to the waist, especially in front of a superior officer.

The thug thing was a nice touch.

And imagining the wolf fighting the bale of hay... :-) Javert is rather patient anyway, considering his situation.

Ah, so he did cover himself. After all. Good. :) (no, hang on, he jumpd up, didn't he? ...)

And at least he got some of his back. A fake silver spoon, hehe. :)

A very entertaining story, I hope you're going to continue. Vidocq "walking the dog" would be too funny... :) (especially if Vidocq starts commenting... *lol*)

And I'm burning to find out why he changed twice.

Keep up the good work. :)
Darth Gilthoron chapter 2 . 6/6/2006
"Ep"? *lol* That's an Ewok sound! :-)

I hope she's not really his mother. Eww... No, hang on, she's talking about her ow boy, isn't she?

Do you particularly like the "&" sign? Because you're occasionally using it (duh...). Well, I don't, to be honest, but your choice.

Silver watch, poor chap... :)

And he hasa nightshirt. Hehe. I know men back then wore nightshirts, but I just find the idea funny. *lol*

"The tale shoots out from the base of my spine" - whoops, humorous spello. :) (happens to me all the time, and wit the sillisest results)

The transition to Vidocq had me irritated for a bit, but that's the trouble with first person, you can't properly change point of view without some note.

And oh dear, this doesn't sound pleasant... what the Hell is wrong? Off to read chapter 3...