Reviews for Threesome at Spinner's End
riverrat chapter 2 . 5/15/2012
Bravo, once again. One really has to feel sorry for Sev, even though he wouldn't see it that way. The way everybody is playing with his feelings, no wonder he's such a rotten guy.
sleepy queens chapter 3 . 8/16/2009
Ah, you write Severus better than anyone else I've seen. Really good job :D
Delaine chapter 1 . 6/30/2007
It was neat seeing this from a different POV. I really enjoyed this fic.
SuGaRLiLy chapter 3 . 4/25/2007
I love the fact that you are able to use the same plotline for three different characters, and kind of weave them together so that I don't even feel like I'm reading the same thing over and over. It's awesome. Your stories are so chock-full of amazing things, but to list them would probably take me all day. I am so envious of your characterization and the amount of detail you put into your writing.
SuGaRLiLy chapter 1 . 4/25/2007
I love your Narcissa- absolutely love her. I've read so many fics where Narcissa is presented as a flighty, materialistic prat, and I like your take on her much, much more. I think people sometimes forget that Narcissa is a mother. Strangely, I could see her having this sort of relationship with Snape.
Prieda Solo chapter 3 . 2/28/2007
perfectly nasty.

Seriously, this is really great. it's almost gormenghast, where all the characters are pretty odious and you just can't wait to see what happens to them because they're so real.

I love your Bellatrix, she is perfect.
Mariag Brie chapter 3 . 1/31/2007
Is curious but I had thought something similar about the Malfoy marriage. They are so selfish that is understandable that they enjoy when people desire what they have. A bad, bad thing for Severus.
Derannimer chapter 3 . 7/12/2006
Not much to say about Bella, except two things: One, you're right, she is barking, she's so nuts it's funny - Draco killing Dumbledore is "a clever plan?" Two, this is at least the third or fourth time I've read this story, and somehow I *always* manage to forget this: "And she thinks, I have given a son for the Dark Lord, not even Rodolphus knows I was pregnant when they sent me to Azkaban, of course I lost the baby, and there will never be another one, not after Azkaban. And it would hurt, it should hurt, but after Azkaban, nothing hurts." And every time I read it, it pulls me up short. It's not that it makes me sympathize with her, or feel sorry for her - she's so far gone I can't feel anything for her at all - but it's just very... sobering.
Derannimer chapter 2 . 7/12/2006
I don't think I noticed this the first time, but this chapter is really quite... darkly humorous: "and here’s a chance to really discomfort Bellatrix." At least, I find that sort of thing humorous. Good grief, man, you're about to make a choice which will destroy your foreseeable future, and you're thinking about *ticking off Bella?* And then there's this, which, though too painful to be humorous, is still beautifully, blackly ironic: "If Dumbledore died … it would be the end of his world, just the thought of it makes his throat start to close up, there’s just a black curtain, with nothing, no future, beyond it." That he should be thinking this in the scene which starts the train of events that ends on top of the Astronomy Tower... OUCH! Dark as pitch. I love it.

Let's see, what else do I love about this chapter? Oh, yes. I love the account of that disagreement between Snape and Dumbledore about Harry being taught the Unforgivables. Snape's position is entirely IC; Dumbledore's anger and disappointment is, of course, perfect; and Snape's reaction to Dumbledore's anger is inspired.

It reveals so much about the character, the fact that he doesn't quite know why Dumbledore's upset. He's got such poisonous malice towards Harry (because it seems clear that, while part of Snape's reason for wanting Harry to learn the UCs is strategic, part is also the knowledge that it will destroy Harry), and, side-by-side with that *at least half-deliberate* malice, this total inability to get why Dumbledore might be upset when he gives in to that malice! I mean, one might (poorly) summarize Snape's feelings on the matter like this: I hate Harry Potter. I want to see him ruined. Wait, why's Dumbledore mad? His moral blindness really comes out in this episode. It's breathtaking. He reminds me of nothing so much as a dog that knows its master is angry and lacks the rational faculties to work out *why.*

Gosh. He's a mess, isn't he? But at the same time, there's that devotion to Dumbledore; and that painful understanding that Lily was a good woman in ways that Cissa isn't... even in Snape's ruin (though he hasn't hit bottom quite yet) you can still make out the outlines of a man that didn't *have* to be ruined. That's one of the more powerful aspects of your characterization, that sense of waste. Fine work.
Derannimer chapter 1 . 7/12/2006
Ah, Spinner's End! Black family twistedness! Your Narcissa's very good - used to relying on Lucius (who kept her from "ugly" things) for everything, and lost and half-hysterical when she has to cope by herself. In some ways, she really is your stereotypical blonde trophy wife, bless her heart - but one shrewd and single-minded enough to get what she wants even if she *is* in over her head.

I rather enjoy the Lucius/Narcissa/Snape dynamic. I absolutely buy that Lucius would arrange a situation like that, and that he would get off on it, because it's pure power - the power his wife has over the other men, and the power he has over her - and as far as I can tell from canon, Lucius likes power more than just about anything.

And - although we don't get much of it here - I love, love, love the Narcissa/Bella relationship. I love that, even though Bella is so scary/vicious/psychotic that Narcissa fears her, she also slightly despises her, simply because Bella is barren and Narcissa has a son. (May I say, btw, that the effect of Dementors on one's reproductive capacities is something about which it never would have occured to me to speculate; but it's a *brilliant* touch. And it does make a lot of sense.) And so on some level, even though Cissa's apparently the weaker sister, she obviously feels she's got Bella beat. It's just a really neat idea. The Black family may outdo even the Crouches in terms of pure dysfunctional drama. Great fun!
MysticScribe chapter 3 . 4/3/2006
Now, how can I review your writing without repeating myself? : )

I feel like a voyeur while reading their train of toughts and memories. That is maybe what feels to be a legilimens. Please take that as a compliment : )

While reading the chapter 2, I had this vivid image of Snape caught between two strong father figures : one is powerful, merciless, using his "children" against themselves for his own needs and purposes, the other one is loving, compassionate, caring and understand the preciousness of a "child". This father knows that this "child" needs love. The other father uses fear to get "love" (which should be called fear/loyalty/servitude I guess) from them.

I thought you did a great job toying around the twisted relationship between Narcissa and Snape. We get a glimpse of his passive side, tolerating to be manipulate (sorry for the pun) by her.

Thanks Possum, you made me think about human nature, magical or not.

-MysticScribe-
Agrarrevolution chapter 3 . 3/16/2006
I was surprised to see that not only Harry Potter, but also Bellatrix Lestrange thinks of Snape as a "pet Death Eater" (which is actually a contradiction in terms).

You’ve a lot of talent to make the reader understanding to each POV, when I read Narcissa’s part I thougt "She’s quite right about Bella" and while reading Bella’s POV I symphatisized with Bella (in canon I never particulary liked either woman).

"And it would hurt, it should hurt, but after Azkaban, nothing hurts."

That’s even more sad than the fact that Bella lost her baby and it’s a very subtle way to criticize the wisdom of those who invented and maintain Azkaban (in a way it’s more impressive than most of the fics about the cruelty of Azkaban and its guards).

I like how you point out the weaknesses of the characters through the thoughts of the others (e.g. how Bella thinks she’s indispensible for the Dark Lord) and the way you show the contrast between the two Black sisters. I’m not sure if I over-interpret your lines, but it seems to me that Snape and Bella are very much alike. They’re both the most dangerous players in the whole game (Voldemort doesn’t count as he’s not actively playing a role, but just giving orders) and while Bella seems to be fanatic, Snape isn’t less devoted, only to Dumbledore instead of Voldemort. Both are ruthless and bordering to psychopathic, both think themselves clever, but Snape is a little bit cleverer, probably because he – as a spy – is more realistic than Voldemort’s little martyre.
Agrarrevolution chapter 2 . 3/16/2006
Snape’s POV – there would be a lot to say about: Harry, Lily, Snape’s remarks about love (I keep this particular point for "Powers the Dark Lord knows not"), the Unforgivables (the ambiguity of them is interesting, the Killing Curse is often seen as something that only ripes your soul, which doesn’t explain why some people enjoy killing), talking horses (another sad point of this story, but then again you don’t write about happy people – I wonder is there anyone in your universe who’s at least not unhappy?), etc., but I leave it for the moment.
Agrarrevolution chapter 1 . 3/16/2006
Wow, a very difficult, but crucial scene to write, you’ve done a great job here. I’m rereading your stories in order to review and I’m stunned about how much you’ve interwoven the different scenes. The whole scene appears to be a murderous (chess?) game between the three main characters and I got the impression that at least Snape regards it as that (e.g. when he respects Narcissa for tricking him).
Blackpenny chapter 3 . 3/11/2006
Great! My favorite parts of this story is the dynamic between the two sisters and, oddly enough, Snape sitting in his favorite chair where he used to watch television. I can just imagine him thinking, "If by some miracle I survive this damned war I'm buying a DVD player. And a boombox."