Reviews for Unbreakable
cardigrl chapter 8 . 2/24/2007
I'm really enjoying this story. And you make a good point through Gideon in answer to those who think an unbreakable vow is the reason Dumbledore trusts Snape: if he were really loyal to Voldy, Snape wouldn't balk at dying for breaking the vow.

But, IMHO, you really, really have Dumbledore spot on with this comment from him: "Considering how many possible employers seem to know about Remus's handicap lately I guess Mr Snape has by now broken the spell I put him under." Isn't it just SO typical that he doesn't hesitate to blame Snape for the secret getting out, when the golden Gryffindors weren't exactly hesitant to go gallivanting around with Lupin as a werewolf every month, and Sirius had absolutely no problem breaking the secrecy for what he claims was "just a prank". No, No, they couldn't POSSIBLY be responsible for somebody other than Snape figuring it out, now could they? Good job letting just another example of Dumbledore's canon self-righteousness and bigotry slip out.
wynnleaf chapter 8 . 11/24/2006
This is well-written. I like Lily's letter and agree that Dumbledore would be a lot more likely believe in the commitment of a friendship between Snape and Lily, than a teenage crush.

JKR has had Dumbledore use the word "trust" many times in describing his belief in Snape. She could have used lots of other words. She could have had Dumbledore say he was "convinced" of Snape's loyalty. She could have had Dumbledore say he "believed" Snape. She could have had Dumbledore say he "knew" Snape was loyal. But instead, she has Dumbledore say, "I trust" over and over.

Reliance on an unbreakable vow is not trust. Narcissa and Bellatrix ask Snape for an unbreakable vow specifically because of the lack of trust between Death Eaters, their concerns over his loyalties to Voldemort, and their concern over whether or not he'll really keep his word. That's not trust.

Dumbledore trusted Severus Snape. Ultimately, in canon, I think we'll find that Snape trusted Dumbledore, too.
wynnleaf chapter 7 . 11/24/2006
I notice some of your reviewers really hate Dumbledore in your story. That is, they love the story, but hate how DD treats Snape.

I don't feel that way. While I disagree with some of your "take" on the relationship between Snape and Dumbledore, I think that you write a much more 3-dimensional Dumbledore. There are a lot of reasons for his decisions. Snape may feel completely manipulated and trapped, but I don't think that Dumbledore is necessarily uncaring of Snape and his needs, emotions, etc.
wynnleaf chapter 6 . 11/24/2006
I really like the way you did Snape's view of the Mirror of Erised. Having him care for Lily as a friend makes a lot more sense than some teenage infatuation. And I liked it that you didn't have him begrudge her the happiness she had in her husband.
wynnleaf chapter 5 . 11/24/2006
Hm. This was a well-written chapter, but I don't really agree with some of the perspective on the situation between Dumbledore, Snape and Lupin.

In OOTP, Dumbledore did not characterize Snape's grudge with James as a school boy grudge, but as a wound too deep for healing.

At the end of POA, it was Snape who brought Sirius and the rest up to Hogwarts. Although Snape wanted Sirius taken to the dementors, Dumbledore would have clearly seen that in spite of his threats to Sirius, Snape did not take Sirius to the dementors, but instead brought him up to the casle.

Many Snape supporters assume that Dumbledore favored Lupin over Snape in POA. The assumption is that Dumbledore made a fool of Snape that night, but I didn't get the impression that Fudge thought he seemed foolish in the least.

I think all of Hermione's core subject teachers, and perhaps all the faculty, must have known of the time-turner. And the ministry certainly knew about it, as they approved its use. Dumbledore's comment to Snape about being in two places at once sounds to me much more like a strong message of "listen Severus, there's the timeturner in play here and I don't want the ministry investigating this, so please stop going on about it." In fact, Snape gives up the argument and leaves immediately after the "two places at once" comment.

On Lupin and Dumbledore, the following morning is quite interesting. In spite of Lupin's comments that lead Harry to believe that Snape's telling about his being a werewolf is the primary cause of Lupin's leaving, that is actually quite hard to believe. Howlers from parents and concern of the board didn't stop Dumbledore from keeping half-giant Hagrid on the following year, and wouldn't have stopped him from keeping Lupin either.

But more interesting is the one tiny conversation that we ever see in all the series between Lupin and Dumbledore. It's when Dumbledore comes to tell Lupin the carriage has come to take him away. Lupin asks Dumbledore not to see him to his carriage. Despite a nice long chat with Harry, Harry believes once Dumbledore came that Lupin was in a hurry to leave. And the only description of Dumbledore's comments to Lupin is "soberly" - very non-commital word for JKR to use. And then in all of Dumbledore's long talk with Harry, he never mentions Lupin. But he does assure Harry that James would never have killed Pettigrew out of hand - though clearly Sirius and Lupin were going to do so.

I don't think Dumbledore was quite as favoring of Lupin as people think. He didn't believe Lupin was helping Sirius into the castle, but I have a strong suspicion that once he learned of Lupin's duplicity, he welcomed, and perhaps even requested, Lupin's resignation. Sure, he didn't want Fudge arresting Lupin, especially when Dumbledore knew Sirius was innocent and that Lupin had apparently risked a lot in going to prove Sirius' innocence and go after Pettigrew. But that doesn't mean that he overlooked Lupin's deception, his forgetting his wolfsbane, or his almost killing Pettigrew without even taking him to the authorities.
wynnleaf chapter 4 . 11/24/2006
Interesting idea for why Snape didn't go to Voldemort right away in GOF.
wynnleaf chapter 3 . 11/24/2006
I liked your description of Snape in the forest searching for Harry and Hermione (and the rest). Well done. I particularly liked the small memory of his father and the glasses. And the car. I also liked the "point me" spell and how it worked to show him they must be far away.

The "inner thought" of Snape are IC.
wynnleaf chapter 2 . 11/24/2006
The boggart was inspired. The idea of Snape laughing over the notion that he'd live to an old age works well. It's hard to imagine him finding anything truly "funny" in that boggart, but his living through the war might really seem ridiculous.
wynnleaf chapter 1 . 11/24/2006
I've finished all your 8 chapters to date, but wanted to review many seperately. Your writing is excellent. I like the way the chapters run backwards through the years. Your Snape is very IC. And overall I'm really enjoying the story. I disagree with you on some things and will mention that.

In this chapter, I have always felt Snape was waiting on Dumbledore's signal in his rooms, and knew that there'd be a crisis of sorts that night. Dumbledore had called in extra Order members, including Lupin from his werewolf mission, to patrol the halls, and had made his walk through Hogsmeade intentionally obvious. When he returned with Harry, he tried twice to send Harry to Snape, even though a patronus would have been much faster and, in the castle, safer. So I think Dumbledore and Snape had worked togther on plans. However, even if Snape was in on Dumbledore's plans, that does not mean that he didn't resent them or try to get out of it.
duj chapter 8 . 11/23/2006
I'll be disappointed if it turns out that Dumbledore's trust was unbreakable for THAT reason. Nevertheless, great chapter.
Amar 2 chapter 8 . 11/23/2006
Great! Great! Great! Great! Great! This is one of the best stories Ive read so far. You are GREAT writer. You should attempt some original fiction, yes, you shoud.

I cant wait for update!
Lynda chapter 7 . 10/4/2006
I have read all chapters so far and I must say you really have Snape and Dumbledore characterized very well (very in "cannon"). I also like the way you have presented the chapters. Not all events are in order but the way you are presenting the information flows well and makes sence. I really like this story so far and look forward to more.
duj chapter 7 . 10/2/2006
Some good questions raised. I tend to think that Dumbledore (or Snape) did in inform them about the Dark Mark and that, whatever Priori Incantatem might have revealed, he would still have been cleared on the basis of "acts he had to do to help bring down Voldemort."
romantic-suicide chapter 6 . 8/27/2006
wow, i never thought of it that way. amazing chapter, update soon.
duj chapter 6 . 8/27/2006
One sees how Dumbledore used him and it is hard (impossible?) to forgive. Not though he saved the world, did he have the right to treat people as tools, not Snape, not Harry, not anyone. He's grown arrogant in his old age - or was he always so? Proud as the devil of his superior intellect, his foresight, his skill at manipulating men into the machines of his authority.
91 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »