Reviews for The Gambler
ThreadbareSP chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
Since you reviewed one of my stories, I thought I'd come check some of yours out.

This is awesome. You're a really good writer... It's got to be hard to write well from Dumbledore's perspective, but you did it. In just around 500 words, you channel his regret, his weakness, his wisdom, and even some fear-enough to make Dumbledore a human, but not enough that he isn't Dumbledore anymore. Great job.
UnforgivenChild chapter 1 . 4/7/2007
As always, beautifully written.. however I almost expected a little more in length... If you do re-visit this piece I would love to hear a little more about the orphanage in Dumbledore's perspective... Your story "Age of Inertia" has such beautiful descriptions and so much feeling behind them, adding that in here would defiantly pump it up.

I read a very convincing article that Dumbledore's last words were asking Severus to keep Harry safe. I feel that your story has the same feeling to it, and although I like the ambiguity.. I wonder if expanding on this would add to the story.

All the same, great work! I love your writing style!
James-Padfoot chapter 1 . 9/24/2005
Alas, I was hoping to see more insight on your Snape stand. It would seem you pick him evil.

Nicely done, even if rather short.

Thanks.
almostinsane chapter 1 . 9/8/2005
Great story!
starburst1237 chapter 1 . 9/6/2005
Blah, I actually had to go and type out both my email and my password to get this to be signed. And you know how I am without my caffeine late at night.

Anyways, onto what you're waiting for: the review!

First off, written in a very different tone than Age of Inertia. It's certainly a different plot you're writing about, but then again, you could draw many connections if you wanted to. This does go back to that long drabble you wrote about Dumbledore affecting Lord Voldemort, and here we can see it in motion.

The setting that you wrote about conveyed a very action-filled one, yet in here, there is not action but thoughts of an old, wise man who knows his time has come. I expected some sort of strange killing to pop in sometime, but alas, I was failed.

I wish that you will take this further and expand on this, but two o'clock in the morning? I praise you deeply for that.

I liked the ending, drifting off. You needn't write the murder scene again. Just about everyone knows about it. (Kind of like the way everyone kept writing about the Lily/James/Severus fifth year scene over and over and over).

A very nice drabble, especially considering the time you did it at.

Lovely work as usual,

Linda
Tracey chapter 1 . 9/5/2005
You made me recall that I'd wanted to write down all that Dumbledore says (moans or cries, more like) while drinking the potion. I have a bunch of theories floating around in my head.

Was it the "I know I did wrong" and "...it's my fault" lines that really fueled this one-shot? Though I'd become aware of the fact that he could make mistakes like the next man, I'd never actually considered the case that Dumbledore would blame himself for enabling Tom Riddle to become the Dark Lord. Interesting...

Oh, and my favorite and most plausible theory (which is probably already up and being discussed on websites though I haven't browsed through HBP-related stuff) is that Dumbledore was experiencing the pain and anguish of some of Voldemort's former victims, whose bodies were probably lying in that very pool as Inferi...even repeating some of their last words and pleas...

Creepy...

Oh, and what's the update on AoI?
samuraiheart chapter 1 . 9/5/2005
There are some truly lovely lines in here. You write very eloquently. I loved seeing DD's doubts about Riddle. I also loved that you pointed out the irony "that he should be so afraid of death, yet have no qualms about dismembering his soul." Snape is still a little ambiguous here, but perhaps you left it that way on purpose. Overall, very nicely done. _