Reviews for The Golden Lotus
Mels4 chapter 4 . 10/24/2007
Excellent preview for "The Scorcerer of Rouen" and "The Shell Game". This completely explains Erik's life before DLS. I love your writing - I can't wait for the next series of Erik and Emily adventures - Javier too! Mels
Shiomei chapter 2 . 8/2/2007
Hello :)

Nice chapter! Just thought you'd like to know how is it that Javier could pray to Mary in his language. The version of the prayer ("Hail Mary, Full of Grace...") in Spanish is: "Dios te salve María, llena eres de gracia, el Señor es contigo...".

That woulb be all.

Regards!
Shiomei chapter 1 . 8/2/2007
Hello again :)

As promised, I'm here for the pleasure of reading another of your fics and, of course, with the hope to be of some help with your Spanish phrases.

In this chapter there are couple of things to correct. The name of Javier's dad goes with an accent so it should be written like this: "Héctor". The other I pointed out in Sorcerer of Rouen, it should "Madre de Dios!" and not "deL Dios".

That would be all.

Nice chapter!
speedy56 chapter 4 . 12/5/2006
Kate-Good story. Its nice to have more background on the relationship between Javier and Erik/Martin/De La Shaumette. Once again youve done your homework, I enjoy historical details about things like the practice of foot-binding.

I dont normally correct people but one spelling error jumped out at me at the beginning of this chapter. You had Erik pick up the "reigns." The leather straps attatched to the bit in a horses mouth are "reins." BTW -(I notice you like to get your facts straight)if you ever need help on anything Equestrian Im the person to ask. Cheers! Cathy
GerrysJackie chapter 4 . 11/26/2006
I am glad I went back and read this, it helped a great deal in setting up the storyline for the stories that followed.

Thank you.
Pertie chapter 4 . 9/18/2006
Ahh; little 'Mei-Mei' kissed Erik in thanks for saving her life! That was so touching. Erik was very affected by it too.

Javier telling Charles Martin that he is a good man for helping save 'Mei-Mei' was felt deeply by Erik as well. I think he needs interaction with other humans - on a limited but sincere basis, of course!

I think Erik is working on saving up good karma in order that someday he will have full life and I would guess that includes love.

The birth of 'De La Shaumette' is what will lead Erik to his love (remember I already read 'The Sorcerer of Rouen'). I'd have to say that Erik is trying to become a good man, atone for some of his past, and work towards the hope of some happiness in his future. He's becoming a good man; better late than never.

I quite enjoyed this beautiful little prelude. I may now have to reread 'The Sorcerer of Rouen' - I haven't had enough of Erik/Charles Martin/De La Shaumette.

Thank you dear Authoress!
Pertie chapter 3 . 9/18/2006
So Erik is doing his quiet good deeds in order to make up for some of the wrongs he has committed in his life. I loved the following line:

"Someday he hoped to see the sunrise to banish the darkness in his soul".

Being that I have read the stories that follow this one I would say that Erik will one day see his sunrise.

How telling it is that Erik admits to himself that he is envious of Javier being such a female-magnet, but goes on to think that he has to earn his time in the sunshine. To me that means he has hope for his future.

One thing I really like is that Erik in the guise of Charles Martin is educating Javier; in more ways than one.

I know Erik did NOT let that little girl drown! She cannot have been in that crate! I hope not anyway.

Another fine chapter.
Pertie chapter 2 . 9/18/2006
Erik/Charles Martin does have a strong sense of humanity in that he quietly aids others who are in need; financial or otherwise.

A bit of the Phantom is left in him though as evidenced by the way in which he saved Javier from being killed in that alley. Javier had no idea who saved him either.

Also; agreeing to take Lady Meng's granddaughter out of the country in order to save her a life of pain and servitude was over and beyond what many people would do.

Could it be that Erik in the visage of Charles Martin is paying back for some of what he did in his prior life as the Phantom? No he's not a boy-scout; not even close but he is helping people and doing so without drawing attention to himself.

Great chapter.
Pertie chapter 1 . 9/18/2006
Very good storyline which is a prelude to 'The Sorcerer of Rouen'.

It seems as if Erik had found a whole new life following the burning of the Paris Opera House, and Christine's parting kisses.

The character Charles Martin seems very hard boiled and tough. Erik; once the Phantom of the Opera always was always a good actor and I suspect Charles Martin is his greatest role - besides the Phantom/Opera Ghost that is!

Excellent chapter.
MJ MOD chapter 4 . 5/6/2006
What? Already over? *wail*

this custom of binding feet was an abomination. what's this with the pelvic gate?

didn't erik had a cat?
SoCalGal57Feb chapter 4 . 4/18/2006
I've recently found your work, and your site. I've enjoyed reading this background type story to the Sorcerer. Looking forward to more. Thanks
HDKingsbury chapter 4 . 9/27/2005
Chapter 4 - here we go.

Erik spoke again as if he had not heard Javier’s words. “No one looks beyond the mask.”

“I learned to,” Javier replied. They sat in silence finishing their drinks. Javier got up, “I’ll see you in the morning.”

I just loved that ending. It says so much about the two of them. I'm so excited that you're planning an entire series of stories with these characters. They're so real, so alive.

Can't wait for the next installment in the series!

HDKingsbury chapter 3 . 9/27/2005
Okay, here we go with Chapter 3. What I liked most about this chapter is the interplay between Erik and Javier.

I also love the way you've caught Erik's personality, his inner struggles for some kind of redemption and acceptance. Well done!

HDKingsbury chapter 2 . 9/27/2005
I came across a couple of typos in Chapter 2 (though instead of thought, loose instead of lose), but they seemed minor when looking at the overall quality of this chapter.

I like the way you contrasted Erik's violence (yes, we know it was him who saved Javier, and what else was he to do with two thugs trying to kill Javier - it's not like they were innocent bystandders!) and his gentler side, as demonstrated with the incident with the little girl and the dog (I always knew you were a softie deep down, Erik!), and later, with the Chinese family.

HDKingsbury chapter 1 . 9/27/2005
I don't know how I missed this. I thought I had you on my author alerts. Thankfully, one of my friends who I'd recommended Sorcerer to mentioned this new story, so here I am. (She also recommended Storm Born, so I'll try to get to that one in the near future.)

I'm hoping to get this read in its entirety tonight, and will try to leave a review for each chapter.

I love it that you're filling in the background from Sorcerer. I loved the characters then, especially Javier. You have a wonderful attention to detail. I have no way of knowing if your description of the canals and rivers is accurate, but the way you write, it sure feels authentic.

The way you describe the wind, the water, the cold - br! I felt cold just reading those first paragraphs! Nice job. Can't wait to get to Chapter 2!