Reviews for Balance
Izzy chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Lovely.
Rexnos chapter 1 . 1/17/2007
Wow... That was some good stuff... I think Romance might have been a second genre, but I can understand where you were coming from by not putting it.

All the same, excellent writing and excellent character delving. I don't tend to think of FE characters so deeply, but it's nice to read about it when others do. I certainly liked this one.

Awesome,

Rex
keaira19 chapter 1 . 10/13/2006
I LUV Tethys too, I find her confidence refreshing instead of the girls of today who have close to none (I am NOT referring to all girls here!).

Back to the actual review: I luv this fic. In fact, it's on my favs now. There were no mistakes (something I cannot seem to do) and nothing else that I don't agree with.

I FEEL SO BAD FOR TETHYS! Aw, I really want her to end up with Gerik...even though I like Marisa too. You portrayed her feelings very well and I ache with her! Such a horrible situation she's in! BTW, I LUV the ending; so cute (witty too).

keaira19 :P
ceecee chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
So, I finally pulled the plug and read another one of your stories. And again, I must say that I loved it. I always wondered what would happen between that little triangle.

Thanks for writing about it!
Houyoku chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
Here I am, like I promised _;

When I first read this, I was blown away. You were right; your strength is the first person narrative. I'm very impressed (not that that means anything, of course. I think I've said that about you too many times to count now.) The clarity and behavior of the character’s voice was so present here.

Gerik's Mercenaries. I always thought it was an interesting bunch. Haha, and I was almost surprised; you incorporated a love triangle. If I weren't so impressed I'd be amused. But Tethys' point of view so well written that it doesn't even seem like a… -cough- a love triangle. More... like a love seesaw? (I’m trying desperately to include the balance analogy.) I suppose Marisa and Tethys are on either end and Gerik is standing on the fulcrum. He can step either way to tip the scale. Ha. Haha. I’ll go and sew my mouth shut :X

After the review, anyways.

Really though, the use of Tethys’ wry, clandestine wisdoms was extraordinary. It was so simple, I think that’s why it was so powerful. Yes, powerful, her words were just filled with her pragmatic logic. What was really inspiring was that she recognized her precarious situation, and maintained a calm manner. I can almost sense that she’s saying to the reader, ‘c’est la vie,’ but at the same time, she’s saying ‘this is my greatest desire.’ I agree with your statement. She’s very deep and unfathomably complex.

I really can’t figure out what to critique, this monologue was excellent. It wasn’t angst-ridden, wasn’t desperate, but it still conveyed the character’s complacence with a difficult situation, and the writer’s passion for composing it. As usual, you’ve received top marks.

Becki

-clamps mouth together and says no more-
Samuraiter chapter 1 . 11/9/2005
It is no secret that Gerik, Marisa, and Tethys are three of the most popular characters to pop up in Seima, but, of the three, Tethys receives the least attention, possibly because she is the least open regarding her emotions. In that light, a short 'fic about her unusual situation seems like a quick shot in the arm for Tethys fans, and that is what you have produced in this story.

For the sake of spoilers, I am limited in what I can say, but your text offers good insight, retaining the character of the speaker in the process. Stylistically, it is also sound, save for occasional instances of using ellipses in places that might be best for commas. ... The general sense that I get from the story is that you are teasing the reader, though, and that leads me to my next paragraph.

I know for a fact that you can pull off a truly epic story. What you have here is good, but ... it is only a snack, like you are dipping a toe in the waters of the fandom. I have seen what you can do. Indeed, I have seen what you have done for FFT. This might be a more competitive environment, but I think you can pull off a 'fic that is capable of dazzling all of us in its virtuosity. I have yet to read your Canas story, but ... consider this a challenge. Your list of planned 'fics in your profile has promise. Can you fulfill it? Can you push yourself to your limits in taking a good 'fic ... and making it extraordinary? I think that you can, and, to that end, you have yourself at least one loyal reviewer willing to follow you.

Short pieces like this are only the beginning. If you are willing to take a leap of 'fic (forgive the phrase), there might come a time when pieces of reflection – like the one that Tethys presents to the reader – are only drops in a very deep well.
Vestrwald chapter 1 . 9/14/2005
Nice look into the character. Sounds just like Tethys. Enjoyed the detail on the dangerous emotional position Gerik has himself in.
Wandering Cat chapter 1 . 9/9/2005
I was hopeing someone would write a Tethys/Gerik/Marisa fic sometime soon. And it looks like I got my wish in a tidy, nicely-written package. I'm not Tethys' biggest fan, but that wasn't enough to distract me from how good you did. The writing was great, in-character, and organized. Great job!
Socksy chapter 1 . 9/9/2005
Wow. Deep :) -smiles-
raedyn-l chapter 1 . 9/8/2005
Holy camoly... This was so... introspective. Well, it's from Tethys' point of view, so I THINK it counts...

Wow...
Mr. Peabody Hawke chapter 1 . 9/8/2005
I meant to review this before, so:

Wow. Brilliant. Just when I was beginning to lose all hope for the FE fandom, you come along and write something so simple, so deep, that I remember exactly why I loved it so much in the first place. I've never seen a Tethys-centric fic before, but I can safely say that it'll take a great deal of effort for anyone to write one better than this. The relationship between Gerik, Tethys, and Marisa has always intrigued me, especially since the game allows it to go so many different ways - but if you chose one path, you don't know what happens to the others. I loved your depiction of it all. That's a complex relationship if I ever saw one, and a sure sign of characters with depth. You bring it out better than many people ever could. Thank you. This piece rocks.
Lemurian-Girl chapter 1 . 9/6/2005
Wow, this was deep. At first I didn't think it would be Tethys, but I was glad it was. Didn't happily or sadly. So realisitic, and the emotions were portrayed perfectly.

Wonderful...simply wonderful.

Lemurian-Girl
Writer Awakened chapter 1 . 9/6/2005
Wow. This is pretty nice, not just for being a well-written insight into her personality, but also because I believe Tehthie is essentially overlooked in general (not only in the fandom here, but also in the game). Being not a true fighter in the game makes her somewhat unappealing to most, especially since she's so vulnerable!

But, as for this fic itself, I think it's excellent. Well-written (especially since it was whipped up in two hours- whoof!)

You know, now that I think about it, it's difficult to give a "good" review. Not "good" as in a one-liner "good fic!" review and that's the end of it. I mean "good" as in, multi-pargraph, size-it-up, comprehensive type of deal. I guess it's the same reason why I don't like being a critic. It's too much work.

I think you play the dynamic between Marisa, Teth, and ol' Gerik pretty well. I think in some ways Teth does want Gerik pretty badly, but in another way, Gerik is a tough old dog- someone for her to look up to. Kind of like an older brother, just not that much older, hehe. And we really don't get to see much interaction between Tethys and Marisa, so we don't really know (do they have supports together? I forget! Heh...) THAT much about their relationship. I think you portrayed the love/hate kind of relationship that Teth feels pretty well! (I don't think it matters much to Marisa, to be honest! LOL!)

It's also cool you worked into the fic Tethys tendency to bust out the "There's _ news, and then there's _er news" type of phrase. That's neat.

Anyway, nice job! Again, well-written, and...nice! Kudos!