Reviews for The Hotel In Tottori
katiesparks chapter 1 . 1/3/2008
I totally loved this but I have just one thing that makes my brain twitch (i.e. Kirby keeps on whacking while screaming that it doesn't make any sense and I keep telling her to shut the freak up and enjoy the story) The song Hotel California is actual about a place for insane people. Hotel California is a mental institution. 'You can check out any time you like But you can never leave' that line is saying that you're free to go crazy and lose touch with the outside world but you can't leave because you are insane. But other than that it was good and-

KIRBY: Are you saying Shinichi's ins-

SHUT UP KIRBY! Just ignore her!

KIRBY: But-

SHUT UP-*gets punched* Why you little...*catfight breaks out and camera breaks and feels the screen with fuzz
RanMouri82 chapter 1 . 10/1/2005
Congratulations on a skillfully written story! It must’ve been difficult to base this fanfiction ending of Detective Conan on the Eagles’ song, “Hotel California,” but for the most part, it worked. This story described locations, people, and objects in sharp detail, which brought the reader very close to what the characters were feeling in the story. It also relied on the good, short story format of a main scene and a smaller, concluding scene.

Basing this story on “Hotel California,” of course, meant a greater challenge to portray all the characters accurately, since the ballad describes events very different than Detective Conan. Good idea using a symbolic name like “Boire,” since it means “drink” in French! It was also smart to stage a brief, but sharp inner conflict with Shin’ichi’s principles when he confronted Gin. Other portrayals seemed a bit forced, since the challenge to match Conan with the song remained, like the portrayal of the Captain. Granted, he was delightfully creepy, but it’s doubtful that he’d yield the syndicate so easily. People willing to kill for their secrecy could fight until they met physical force or death.

Also, just a note about Shin’ichi and Ran: they both seemed older, since Ran wore her hair like her mother and they both drove cars. Was there a reason for this? While it makes sense to portray the passage of time, unlike Aoyama does, aging Ran and Shin’ichi tends to carry the unfortunate side effect of a requisite sexual encounter. Not that many people care about that, but for those of us who do, it adds an uncomfortable element to the story, at least. They also seem romantically free with each other, which is something we fans tend to want for them; they’re too shy about their feelings in the series, however, to include that.

The funny ending, while a bit of a shift from the intense main section, is also a welcome light note! And who’s the better butt of a joke than our favorite “Sleeping Detective”? Again, great job! Please keep writing–with sugar on top?
Death88 chapter 1 . 9/13/2005
I feel that you've done a pretty damn good job. Ignore the haters.
YumeTakato chapter 1 . 9/10/2005
XD I loved it. This was really really good. X3

I enjoyed it lots~!
Detective Girl 2005 chapter 1 . 9/9/2005
Ca-UTE story magicbulletgirl! _
Amaya-chan chapter 1 . 9/9/2005
:O HOMIGOSH! THAT WAS THE LIKE MOST AWESOME STORY I HAVE EVER READ! ! Like the Others. That movie was so cool. And and Sixth Sense did it too..

Anyway, I adored that and the ending. xD
Fyliwion chapter 1 . 9/8/2005
Yes I do think you could say the sequence of emotions was in that order.. but it ROCKED! Especially since we all love Hotel California Adn there really ARE so many theories (I remember hearing it after mum told me all about Interview with a Vampire as a little kid... Thus I've always connected the song with vampires... but reading it like this really gave me a bunch of other mind reeling ideas And it fit AMAZINGLY well) I loved how you had them work together... that was really cool because its rare to see them work side by side Nice job