Reviews for Coming in from the Cold
Lami chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Wow. Again, I am just blown away by your writing. You some how managed to write the perfect Garak, (he's my favorite character from DS9) and include his freindship with Dr Bashier (my second favorite) and also throw in some Babylon 5! Garak's thoughts at the end there were briliant.

I read some of your fiction for "Angel" as well, (the one about Dru, and the one about Spike) Your writing is very very good. Are you a Jane Austin fan incidentally? :)

Kind Regards,

Garboil chapter 1 . 2/5/2009
It's difficult to overstate the brilliance of this fic.

I initially read it for Garak, and you write some of the best Garak I've read anywhere. You actually get his edge into his narration, which is unusual and refreshing- for some unfathomable reason most people seem to read his superficial mellowness as genuine and write him that way, which immediately throws me out of the story. He was a Cardassian secret police officer and he didn't stop being one by choice; it seems much more probable he regards the Starfleet personnel with the contempt and annoyance he displays here and just has the courtesy and discretion to keep it to himself.

Bester, who endures his local space station jerks with comparable saintly patience, can probably relate.

This fic got me started watching B5, so you may congratulate yourself on winning a convert. Coming back to it with familiarity with both fandoms, I note that Bester is also spot on. You've captured his affable insouciance quite nicely. Plus the whole Walter Koenig angle was good for a laugh.

It's a clever idea, an entertaining fic, and Garak and Bester are just cute together. Too bad any long-term alliance would be doomed by their opposing loyalties; they would make a good team. They could travel the universe mocking Starfleet officers, battling alien demiurges, and critiquing lousy Earth literature.

(Plus let's face it- Bester needs a good tailor...)
Korgeta chapter 1 . 10/27/2008
Brilliant, deftinely on my faves. You gave both characters a fine set of words and in its own way this crossover does make sense. I thought at one point you intentionally undermined bester's telepathy to make it 'fairer' but that was not the case and use it your advanatge in showing he can actually read their minds quite well.

I also suspect you read the B5 novels because of what garak suspected is in fact true because at the end of the telepath war he is caught (by garabaldi) and sentence to druge and labour.
Trovia chapter 1 . 1/28/2008
He, this is neat.

Thank you for sharing :).
Tharin chapter 1 . 2/13/2007
Getting Garak and Bester into the same story is a really interesting idea. I never gave it much thought, but the two of them *are* rather similar.

I really liked what you've made of this idea. The story is well written, and you have Garak truly in character. The dialog between him and Bester is great. I really, really enjoyed this story. The ending was bitter, but very fitting.

I'm going to take a look at the rest of your work now.
Rivendellrose chapter 1 . 8/12/2006
What a wonderful idea! I don't usually take well to crossovers, but for the sake of seeing two of the most wonderfully ambiguous and mostly-amoral characters interacting together in their cheerfully vicious way... For that, I'll make an exception. ;)

Characterization was spot-on, and I love the idea of Garak and Bester teaming up briefly. Not to mention a few sly references to Bashir and his attitude toward Garak.

Thanks so much for sharing this!
Iskandra chapter 1 . 5/27/2006
Bester and Garak seem to be everyone's favourites - I'll just include myself here. Lovely story!
Artemis1000 chapter 1 . 3/8/2006
I had never thought about a crossover with Garak and Bester, but now that I read this story, I realised that they're truly a match made in heaven (or hell, depending on whether you asks them or their victims of choice). I would love to read a sequel to this story.
Thucydides chapter 1 . 12/16/2005
A virtually perfect story. Excellent treatment of both characters, with Garak's attitude and side comments being very consistent. Well done to integrate with both universes.
Fidgey chapter 1 . 11/28/2005
Wow. I cannot believe I actually read a ds9/b5 crossover. But this was amazingly good, and it had my favorite character from each show in it, so I can forgive myself. And now I'm off to look for more. More, more!
LastScorpion chapter 1 . 9/27/2005
I loved this! You did all the 'voices' so well, especially Garak's! I liked the ending, too. Thanks for writing it and putting it up!
Crossbow chapter 1 . 9/27/2005
Wonderful story! My favorite Trek and favorite B5 characters. (sigh) “… the parallel universes from which and to which there had been increasing tourist expeditions in recent years…” had me laughing my head off.

You still have a few typos that make some sentences confusing, such as: “Our involuntary dressed, however, was dressed in simple but elegant black…” If you want any help cleaning it up, please let me know.