Reviews for Don't Forget Your Old Shipmates
elensari chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
Oh, Stephen...you see so much, and feel so deeply. I love him. You did a brilliant job of showing his deep caring for Jack as well as his concern over this seemingly doomed expedition. I've read all of the Aubrey-Maturin Cycle and you've captured Stephen beautifully. Interspersing it between the lines of Don't Forget Your Old Shipmates, is brilliance-so poignant. Thanks :-)
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
I didn't think of this when watching the movie. It's interesting to read Stephen's thoughts as the song is being sung by his shipmates. I do like how we get to hear the song, but also hear Stephen's thoughts at the same time. You did a fine job blending the song with his thoughts, which fit well where they are.

Well done.

-Aria Breuer
Guest chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
Very good! I can totally invision Stephen thinking this during that scene!
Kevin Connolly chapter 1 . 10/31/2011
Always interesting to note the verses that they left out of the movie, dealing with the camaraderie below decks: Were there ever chums, Jack, chums like you and I, Jack? What I found interesting about the song is that it was used by the 20th Maine as their marching tune in "Gettysburg." But downeasters are mariners, so it makes sense.
CMRSW chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
Having just rewatched the film again for the umpteenth time, I think this little story of Stephen's quiet amid the song is absolutely spot-on. I enjoyed it tremendously. Well done.

CMRSW
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
A great story. Very good.
Ancelin chapter 1 . 11/7/2006
For a piece done in thirty minutes in the wee hours of the morning it is very effective. It really captures the differences between Stephen and Jack, but also what makes them such close friends. I really enjoied the little foreboding shadow you placed in Stephen about the Albatross accident. It means a lot that people can take such complex chacters and really even in just one shots flush out the emotions that really carry the character and not the superficial emotions that they show so much more. Thanks for writing this even though you did lose sleep over it.

Ancelin

P.S. I have added it to my favorites list!:)
Countess Verona Dracula chapter 1 . 7/18/2006
You know, I've always wondered why Stephen wasn't singing at first, but I never really explored the idea very much. Congratulations to you for doing just that! It was certainly a very good insight into Stephen's mind, and my only complaint is that 'thought process' seemed just a bit too modern for him. It was only a small thing, though, and overall I enjoyed this very much. Well done!

Verona
RiderOfRohan3019 chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
Great! I loved it!
Ealcynn chapter 1 . 12/22/2005
Wow! Very nice story, I really enjoyed this. Especially the sly little hint towards future events of Jack loosing something too dear to him. Well done!
ladyaine chapter 1 . 11/17/2005
Stephen *is* the brooding type, isn't he? I like his thoughts about how he and Jack are so different and yet they still manage to remain best friends (a curious phenomenon!). His concern about Jack's motivations, however, and where it's all leading them is certainly not misplaced at this point. But Stephen will follow him anyway, because that's what friends do. Very nice.
olivia stevens chapter 1 . 10/28/2005
Not quite Stephen, but enjoyable all the same. Hip hip huzzah for Master and Commander!
Gaeriel chapter 1 . 10/24/2005
From now on everytime I'll watch the movie I'll think about this fic! -
SilentTrainConductor chapter 1 . 9/17/2005
Aw! I love the mixture of the guys singing and Stephen's thoughts...Poor Stephen :( I love his little smile at the end, so sweet.

Alot of forshadowing on his part, which is very neat.

*sniffle* How sweet he is thinking of Jack, and how such a promise will hurt him...and how he really isn't centering his thoughts on himself...

But his friend.
Caerulea chapter 1 . 9/16/2005
I can't get over my love for this movie either. I really enjoy your fics (I'm an angst-aholic). I am particularly enamoured of the way you captured this precise moment of the movie. Great foreshadowing!