Reviews for UTurn
IncandescentKitsune chapter 1 . 10/16/2008
This is incredible.

The emotions, the thoughts, the similarities between them that she doesn't even notice -they both made themselves weapons for reasons they believe are good ones, and this line 'Her spirit soared with the righteousness of divine retribution' showcases this especially...

Incredible.

It reminds me of the scene in the OVA where she puts her shawl around him -is that what you were going for? I Love it.
moeru himura chapter 1 . 2/1/2006
I'm beginning to see that I'm loving all your fics with "spiritual" as genre.

I love the 'subtitle' of this: "No wonder we fear the unexpected, the unknown." We have our goals even if sometimes we haven't examined and reexamined them well. And we don't want anything ruining them (esp when we really feel that they're for the best). That is why, we fear the unknown, b/c when we're able to 'know' that things are not what they seem, then of course we can't lie to ourselves and have no choice but to accept that what we thought was right is really wrong. So, we keep the unknown unknown b/c it keeps our security.

And one great example of that is Tomoe and you presented it with art. Love it!

Sorry for that long hype about the unknown. I was just really blown by the idea!:P
Warg chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
This is truly awesome wrok.

The entire text is set in a determined, focused flow that perfectly fits the righteous anger catagory. This is precisely the way Tomoe's mind may have worked, from little acts she put up in front of the other Isshin.

Something as trifle as a top would jar Tomoe out of her resolve is the beauty of contrast...Can't say it enough...love this fic.

Bye
Khrysalis chapter 1 . 11/18/2005
The thought of a child's toy in his room warms my insides. I enjoy very much watching him play...and so would she, later.

When I was a child, I once read a very interesting speech by a bad guy in one of my stories. Verbose, he was, but the general idea was: If you can't find something to love, then find something to hate. Years later, and the discovery of the delights and the darkness of Rurouni Kenshin, I remembered his words a lot, but never more so when I read of Tomoe. Her focus on what she hated rather than what she loved; and then a complete reversal.

This puts me in strong mind of those thoughts once again.
Shirou Shinjin chapter 1 . 10/29/2005
... not quite how I had imagined it happening... but I definitely like. Too many people seem to have Tomoe subdue herself in front of Kenshin all too easily. The few stories I have read where she really, honestly wants to go stabbity on Kenshin's face; only to realize that he's in just as much, if not more pain than she is; are far and few between.

Your rendition of Tomoe's thoughts towards Kenshin are very realistic and believable. Most enjoyable :)

(I'm on a roll, tonight, eh? :P)
Wistful-Eyes chapter 1 . 10/22/2005
That was wonderful, and really touching. Lot's of people have touched on this scene already, but yours is different. Because of the repetitiveness when we write about the scenes, I've kind of left the RK realm of fanfiction (T&K, specifically. I still support them, but I don't read fanfiction that much anymore). Suddenly I was wishing for more AUs, which at first I disliked. Just for a change in storytelling and action, you know? But anyway, I liked this one. See ya!
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 9/20/2005
I love how you describe they way Tomoe initially sees Kenshin, or more to the point doesn't see him. The heart of this is stated matter of factly yet so poignantly in your words, "So she could understand—no, it was even less conscious than that: she simply accepted as the way of things—that men, older, and who should have had a measure of wisdom, chose this one to be their tool of death; unable to see, uninterested, even, in seeing past their use for him; considered him not even as significant as the overfed koi in their beautifully landscaped ponds.

She, too, in fact, had seen nothing more than his function: an arm wielding a deadly blade, stalking, and then cutting down, his victims, and then nothing. No aftermath, no activity between assignments, no actual person there. She did not even imagine a face attached to the arm. She thought only of the function he had performed in her life; of the way in which he’d changed her future, had altered her path, transformed her destiny."

I love how you go from capturing that complete lack of the sense of the humanity of the other and then have that humanity so abruptly and vividly revealed by the top.
matchynishi chapter 1 . 9/19/2005
Very cool. I especially loved the last 2 lines - an awesome ending to a great fic.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 9/18/2005
Beautiful. I also love the impression of Tomoe as *older* (which she is) that you don't often get in fanfic.

Thanks.
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 9/17/2005
Beautiful job with this one... Tomoe's change of heart when she realized that Battousai was nothing more than a child was very insightful. Another wonderful little story from you!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 9/17/2005
Awesome and wonderful! My heart caught too when I read of her finding the top. Though Tomoe's weakness - her compassion - ultimately led to her death, it made her so much more interesting and human than a typical soul-less killer bent on revenge. Your title was truly inspired, and it fit so perfectly with the last line:

Her heart had corrected course.

This is a great addition to the (far too few) stories written from Tomoe's point of view, and I'm adding it to my favorites list right now!
Firuze Khanume chapter 1 . 9/16/2005
Very, very interesting insight in the mind of Tomoe.

I can see her having this inner dilemma, and it's clear that she understood that he was being used as a pawn. One of the things that attracted me to this one-shot is that most of the time, people reflects on how *she* changed *him*, but it's rare to find her POV about how her perception of him changed, changing her in the process.

There is an old fic in this site that it's among my favorites and depicts this very well (The Snow Raven, by Krista Perry, story number 23190)Unfortunately it's a WIP, last updated in 2001, and I don't think it will be continued, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it, given your liking for fics depicting insights into the characters' minds.

This trait of reading/writing trying to understand and describe the characters according to canon is, unfortunately, a rarity in present days, so I'm grateful that you had taken the time to write this piece.
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 9/16/2005
oh... my ... god... Wow... I can't even think of words. That was amazing... So perfect. I LOVED that last line "But it was too late. Her heart had corrected course."

Oh, I love it... Such a powerful piece...

And my, aren't we prolific lately? TWO one-shots and Fear No Evil!

Yay!