Reviews for Sleepers
Litonghel chapter 1 . 10/9/2006
added to my favorites.

This is a good piece.
Elendraug chapter 1 . 6/17/2006
This is absolutely fantastic. You've got them all so wonderfully in-character, and major props for successfully writing a second-person-POV fic. A wonderful one, at that, and with an often-ignored character from an often-ignored game. Great job! Seriously.
zeldaricdeau chapter 1 . 5/4/2006
You have written an amazingly creative, detailed, accurate, and haunting image of the Uzuki family. Every moment was crystal clear and each character deliciously multifaceted. If you haven't already, I suggest you look into writing professionally, as your work here surpasses much of what I have bought off the shelf. Bravo.
Mizu no Kokoro chapter 1 . 1/21/2006
wow~ i love the profound complexity in this piece~ well done!
aegis chapter 1 . 11/14/2005
I haven't played Xenogears in a long time, so I was kind of surprised by the portrayal of Yui. Didn't remember that about her.

But even with that, this was a great read. Midori's point of view is very unusual even without the twist you gave on her character.
PrometheusUntied chapter 1 . 10/20/2005
Citan/Hyuga was certainly the most intriguing and complicated character in Xenogears - no easy feat given how head-scratchingly screwed up Fei was - and the Uzuki family, in retrospect, make for a uniquely dysfunctional family, but a loving family nonetheless. I love how you demonstrate Midori's conflicting fear and love for her father, in much the same manner as Citan sees himself. It certainly rationalizes why she was always so distant towards him in the game. She knew what he knew, and feared that which he himself feared.

In fact, that was the one aspect that sold me on both the story and your considerable writing talents. In three simple sentences you managed to capture so much about Midori and her father: "Father scares you, but that's okay. Father scares himself. When he remembers to be frightened." This story made my favorites list with that part alone.

The rest of the story was just as good. I like how you characterized the internally and externally conflicting personalities of Yui and Citan through the mind of Midori, a girl who knows more than someone her age should know, being able to see people's thought, read them and interpret them in ways most people cannot. I was particularly intigued by the manner in which Midori could see people, as music or letter of varying sizes and prints, jumbled and arranged in various ways. It gives wonderful insight into the inner workings of the character, one that most certainly came across as odd and difficult to comprehend in the game.

Overall, this was a wonderful story told by a truly talented writer. Keep up the good work.
Firelord Lionheart chapter 1 . 10/19/2005
Wow, in the midst of these XS stories that are overrunning this section, it's nice to find a Xenogears story. Now this is a rarity. A story from Midori's POV. I like how you made her portray both her parents.
Ilvinaeda chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
A most intriguing piece...

The thing that most caught me was the way Midori describes her father's thoughts as "white, fiery noise." Citan is truly a mixed up character...he leads two distinctly different lives, each with their own mixed up ideas, thoughts, and intents...and ultimately, their own fates. I feel for both Yui and Midori...especially since their lives are all the more difficult for it.

Midori is a scary child...even to us, in our world...because she can read minds. She reminds me most of Chi from Chobits, in the sense that she can take the thoughts from people's minds without them really knowing it. You put forth a scary premonition in so vividly describing Midori in this fashion...and yet, it makes sense. How she would see her father as both a gentle man and as a mind full of destruction...and how her mother is so tenderly held in the balance, as she too is kind and sweet, but with a mission that she would not give up on.

A great piece. Keep it up!
ReynardFox chapter 1 . 9/20/2005
Good lord, is this ever a fine piece of writing if I've ever seen one. I was shown this by a friend, and I couldn't resist, being a fan of pretty much all the Uzukis.

I really love how you've shown both Hyuga AND Yui to be dangerous. Too many times I see Yui painted (through Midori's eyes) as the symbol to All That Is Good, and never the fact that she, too, has her secrets and dangers. I love how even Midori can't peel apart all the layers, since there's just so many of them. That Hyuga, in all of his mad complexity, is just an amalgam of Hyuga and not-Hyuga and Citan.

I'd offer some kind of constructive criticism, since I usually do try to make reviews useful, but I honestly can't find much wrong with this. Sometimes the sentences may seem awkward in the way they run together like so much wet paint, but it really does work in favour of the story, here.

E, so pretty and well-written. Thank you for sharing! *glee*
Dark Seraphim chapter 1 . 9/19/2005
Truly exceptional. Makes me want to play Xenogears again! Well done. You write beautifully, be assured of that. :)
The RyRy chapter 1 . 9/19/2005
Holy cow, I didn't know you wrote Xenogears... or even knew it. Wow.

Each word of this acts like it was placed with precision and direction. Throughout the whole text, it seems like you certainly knew what you were doing. And, also, you have this incredibly clear picture of this poor little girl's mind. The description of the family existing in five dimensions was incredibly well-placed and had incredible build-up. That was the climax of the piece in the written word, for me, even though the climax of the "action" was when she covered her ears.

And you always have this gift for making me believe your viewpoints... and now you're even doing it with second person. I've never liked that PoV, but you make me believe it. Your writing is exquisite, Luc. Thank you for adding something of true substance to this area of fanfiction.