Reviews for Keeping In Line
StarLyrical chapter 3 . 12/30/2012
Sorry, double review. Well I actually first found you through Pinterest. So well. Honestly I love how you create your characters and your stories and I cannot wait to read more of any of your writing.
StarLyrical chapter 4 . 12/30/2012
Hey, so I've actually bought four of your books and I absolutely love them, even if I play clarinet, not snare or bass, nor am i a drum major. I love how you write your characters and I can't wait to read more. And I wish I could see more of milholland? high but I guess that could be a problem to have it up on here if its in the publishing process. And I believe the name I put is my account name unless I completely forgot it. Well, keep writing. The world needs more marching band books anyways. There aren't enough out there.
PureHavoc21 chapter 28 . 4/1/2009
i totally loved this story!

im in a nearly all girl drumline(with the exception of our captain) so your story was unchartered territory for me P

i hope you keep writing band fics, they're truely enjoyable.

Best Wishes,

-Frankie (snare girls for life)
blainestiel chapter 1 . 2/15/2009
This is really cool, because I'm actually the only girl in a drumline of 15 people. the battery is my life, and I'm going for tenors/quads next year. Sweet story!
BassBoy21 chapter 28 . 7/8/2008
Wow. I'm liking your work more & more Mrs. Courtney. I started with A Fine Line & got hooked. It was great to see what happened to Bronwyn. I'm actually typing this is the middle of practicing for my U of Minnesota Line audition. As a wind transplant (trumpet/baritone), I can identify with Lucy & Joshy. I plan on reading each of the stories in mostly chronological order, & I'm severely tempted to go out & get a copy of The Line from barnes & noble. Now, to your questions:

1. There were a few times I couldn't stop grinning, but the best was probably describing the Planet uniforms XD.

2. Characters; all of your characters seem complex and deep, with changes and redeeming qualities, even Christina by the end. 3. Realness (if that's a word); you like to play into the various stereotypes about sections, & I suppose that bit of artistic license can be taken for the sake of drama, but just fyi.

4. You might've already done her senior year, but bring it on (like I said, I'm hooked).

5. You woodwinds are almost completely missing; this could have been a story about a DCI group.

6. This is a tough one; probably Joshy because of our similarities.

7. I read the lyrics on occasion, & it's pretty fun when I can see how they fit the situation.

8. As I started with Lucy as the protagonist, I'm never against seeing more Lucy, but this was a good amount; it let Bronwyn be her own person.

Unless I forget, you'll hear from me again at the end of the next story in the list _

Keep it up,

Mike
a reader chapter 10 . 6/2/2008
great story! this is at least my 2nd time reading it. i noticed though that in the excerpt below you have Bronwyn walking out of the room twice...

Bronwyn rolled her eyes and walked out of the room, “Why would you care anyway? No one on this Line gives shit about me anyway!”

She roughly grabbed her snare and walked out of the room, stubbornly wondering why she had tears in her eyes.
Lady Zenoka chapter 28 . 12/1/2007
Oh gosh, that's so funny. When I started to read your story, I just cracked up. Our Line Captain this year name is Jon, but we all call him J.D. Guess what else? He marches snare. ALthough, my J.D. is the sweetest guy ever. My J.D. is like my surrogate older brother, since I'm a sophomore, and he graduated last year. (He's now marching quints at Maryland.) I may be a Guard member, but the Line is definatly the second best section. (LOL) A lot of my friends march drums. One marches snare, and the other marches quints, and one marches bass!
Nikota chapter 25 . 10/25/2007
wow, sorry about the end of your senior year. that had to suck. great chapter though. i have plenty of sympathy for yah. our second to last competion of the year i lend my alto sax out to someone who had to get hers repaired and she drops it right before we get on the field. i thought i was going to be sick. then i hack of my reed in my attempt to turn away from it. it was not a good day.
Nikota chapter 17 . 10/24/2007
this was an awsome you even realize the pun you made when you wrote "we need to *stick* together". wow, ive been reading to many percusionist stories.
Elaine Kaelar chapter 28 . 10/21/2007
So, as you may have seen, I am returning (after nearly 2 years of being away) to fanfiction, to find out how some of the stories that I favorited went, and to check up on my fav authors. How time changes things... luckily, drummers will always be the same. After talking to you in person at DCI champs in Pasedena, you re-inspired me to finish my own story about being in band (and hopefully this summer, drum corps). Unfortunatly, that may not happen that it gets up here any time soon... a week after DCI, my college line started band camp, and we've been running a gig a week since then. And the way we're playing, we have a bowl game in view *crosses fingers*.

Since this is the first weekend in EVER that I seem to have found time (or just am able to put off music theory hw a little longer) I wanted to respond to a few things, both from The Line and from Keeping in Line:

*I loved having Lucy come back for the second one. I thought it kind of gave things a full circle effect.

*I know it's been a long time since I read the original Line, but are there discrepincies with names of some of the characters/high schools? I distinctly remember someone being named Brent.

*In the published book, why didn't you ever resolve who cartright was? or did it just make things too complicated? To me, it made it feel kind of hollow.

*I think Tony needs to suffer/panic a little more. *evil grin* just a little before the big car crash game.

*I loved that Spence went on to be a music major... I would love to hear more about him, but maybe in an away from high school drumline setting. I always secretly had wanted him to come out more on top than he did, and he has been one of my fav. characters for a while.

that's about all I can think of right now. I might have more when I catch up on all the other stories that have cropped up in the time I've been gone. If you want to talk about drums, college football, drums, music, drums, book/writing, or maybe a bit about drums, hit me up on aim. elainekaelar. )
Majorcrush chapter 9 . 8/17/2007
Drew looked angrily at Drew...Iys in chater 9...I just thought I'd point it . Its i just thought I'd remind you about how awsome all of your storys are. And tell you that my halvetime show this year is KISS. I wanna Rock'in Roll All Night, Beth/Detriot Rock City ,Shout it out Loud. Ok well see ya.
mysterious chapter 12 . 10/25/2006
i love your storys but it surprizes me how different my band is. we only have 30-40 people so our section leaders aren't really important. they just lead sectionals sometimes. and after halftime we dont go off we sit in the stands and eat cookies and cocoa that people made. its like a completly different wourld of band.
sum1got2aol.com chapter 28 . 10/17/2006
hey, being in the clarinet in the high school marching band has been loads of fun! :) I dont know what the hell I'd do without band, it's like a saving grace. People keep being like "OMG, U BAND GEEKS ARE GOTHS" and I'm like "No, we rock." It was ddefintley nice to see girl power.. and the hot drum majors be respected!

:-D
KHStenorsgirl08 chapter 28 . 5/14/2006
1. My all time favorite scene/moment/line of dialogue was… The jump from Firday night game to Saturday competition... it's something I never would have thought of.

2. Overall, I think your strongest ability is… you know your subjuect and it shows

3. Overall, you could really work on… adding more to what's going on... it's hard for people to get how it feels to perform on drums unless they've been there (I've had a hard time explaining it to my friends... lots of blank looks)

4. Do you want to see Bronwyn’s senior year? I'm pretty sure she made captain, so I want to see if she brought about the changes she said she was going to make

5. I wish I could’ve seen more… LUCY! and competitions because they are the greatest things ever

6. My favorite character was… Lucy... but Bronwyn was awesome

7. I (do) or (do not) or (do not even read) the song lyrics at the beginning of some of the chapters (just something for my own curiosity!) I do read them and even downloaded some of the songs... -

8. And what about Lucy? Too much? Too little? Just enough? too little... I love Lucy, she's great and is the biggest smart-ass in your stories

it's a wonderful and well-written story... mucho kudos to you.
ReluctantFangirl15 chapter 28 . 2/24/2006
1. My all time favorite scene/moment/line of dialogue was… The trampoline scene. It was absolutly the sweetest thing ever, and I wish a guy would do that for me, lol.

2. Overall, I think your strongest ability is… creating suspence and drama, and also weaving webs with the characters. Like, they're all connected and you bring everything together in the end.

3. Overall, you could really work on…sometimes it seems like you jump from idea to idea too quickly.

4. Do you want to see Bronwyn’s senior year? yes yes yes yes yes. you HAVE to write Bronwyn's senior year! lol

5. I wish I could’ve seen more…of the pit (that's my secion) maybe you should consider doing a story about Lisa...

6. My favorite character was…bronwyn, drew, lucy

7. I (do) or (do not) or (do not even read) the song lyrics at the beginning of some of the chapters (just something for my own curiosity!) only if i know the song...

8. And what about Lucy? Too much? Too little? Just enough? too little, i love lucy!

Hugs,