Reviews for A Good Deed
Japyra chapter 2 . 6/24/2007
What an interesting focal point-kudos for creativity!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 10 . 9/3/2006
Ack! I think ffdotnet ate my first review of this!

Let's see if I can remember what I wrote at all. I know I loved the tie-in to the RK Kyoto arc story, and the fact that we got to find out that everyone involved ended up being OK.

The horse details were cool too - I could just picture the animal so clearly.

Good work as always!
skenshingumi chapter 10 . 8/30/2006
Well, it looks like you wrapped up all the last bits quite nicely. I did miss mention of the dog though. As for the ending, I like the quiet yet menacing nature of Shishio's last words. Houji's creepiness adds just that extra dimension to the end (or should I say to the beginning...).
LadyRhiyana chapter 10 . 8/30/2006
Gozaemon made me laugh. He's finally realised he's getting old and weak - but I doubt that will keep him down for long. May he live for many more springs!

And Shishio escapes to build his secret empire. As I've said before, you couldn't really end it any other way - it's not a happy ending, but it's probably the best one in the circumstances.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I truly appreciate authentic, thoughtful stories like this.
Warg chapter 10 . 8/28/2006
Hey..

Through the tracing of the lyric, smooth and rich descriptions, (by now expected, but never any less amazing) and the slow unfurling atmosphere, the simple touching images.. and the gearing at the end.. one thing was foremost in my head. The fact that this is indeed an epilogue. Yes i know u told me that u were working on a linked masterpiece(lets avoid the word sequel shall we.. :p) but still *whine wibble*

Hehe, nevermind me.

Strong open ending.

Will be looking forward to what comes next..

Thanks for the amazing amazing read.

anaemicfaeries chapter 9 . 8/16/2006
That was an intense and amazing chapter!

It was great, the suspense was just perfect, and we couldn't read it fast enough. For a moment we really thought Gozaemon had been killed-but yay, he's still alive!

That last line filled us with such joy. We'd become very attached to the old man through the course of the story.

It was almost chilling how he himself realised what he had been doing, nurturing a demon...whew, that was good.

And off goes Shishio...

We can't thank you enough for such an incredible story! and we eagerly await the epilogue. :D
anaemicfaeries chapter 8 . 8/16/2006
We knew that Shishio wouldn't show his gratitude to Gozaemon, but still! He was so rude. He's so bent on revenge, he can't stop and think about what a nice old man has done for him. If it weren't for his help, Shishio would still be lying half dead in the cave and not even his hate would help him survive. Hmmpff. We love Gozaemon, period. Loved the mention of Kenshin and Gozaemon's wise and correct assumptions about his future. Come on Yoshi, hurry up!

"whimpered, but not with welcome."

Ek!
anaemicfaeries chapter 7 . 8/16/2006
Oh wow, everything's progressing in such a thrilling way! Loved the background behind Yoshi and Kentaro's friendship, and the explanation for Houji and and...ek, we have a bad feeling for Gozaemon! Is he going to be OK? Is Shishio going to kill him? Man oh man...*scurrying off to next chapter*
anaemicfaeries chapter 5 . 8/16/2006
Oh wow. That was great.

Loved the first meeting with Shishio and Katsuras, you made it quite obvious that Shishio was not thinking of himself as working for the Ishin shishi, but instead working for himself, for his own goals.

Of course, if the group believed they couldn't really control him, they'd have to get rid of him somehow...but we really liked that Katsura wasn't in on it.

Too sneaky and cowardly for Katsura, we believe. We had a case of the giggles though, when the Ts tried to explain it to him, and that line, "And then they set him on fire." Ha ha!
anaemicfaeries chapter 4 . 8/16/2006
This was a very interesting chapter.

We love your explanation of how Shishio became so amibition driven, and how much his father was an influence on him growing up. He certainly was smart, and proud, but it was his own pride in his abilities that was his downfall..

he thought the government would recognise his abilities the same way he did, and so he was blinded to the truth...we felt so sad for him, after reading this! It really was cruel what they did to him, very very cruel. No wonder Shishio was so thirsty for revenge! And his determination to get back at them is giving him strength...

Gozaemon is wonderful, as always. Loved his banter with Yoshi. Knew that Yoshi was going to investigate! He doesn't seem as trusting of others as Gozaemon. Can't wait to read more!
anaemicfaeries chapter 3 . 8/16/2006
We love the relationship Yoshi and Gozaemon have, they really balance each other out. Gozaemon's enthusiasm to treat his new patient in the beginning, made us laugh. He's such a kind old man! The end of this chapter was chilling.

Fitting that Yoshi was the one who made the discovery, he seems to be assessing the situation more thoroughly than Gozaemon, who just wants to make sure this wounded guy gets healthy again. Something tells us Yoshi is going to grow suspicious about Shishio...
anaemicfaeries chapter 2 . 8/16/2006
This is fascinating, drew us right in. Who could the man in the cave be, we wondered? Why would a good deed have bad consequences? And then...

we realised it had to be Shishio, what with the head wound and the leather, which we are assuming is his burnt skin-ew! but a very adept description.

We love Gozaemon, he's such a great old guy, and we love his inner dialogue. Just his luck that he had to come across Shishio! Gosh, this story is so thrilling and original.

We always wondered what happened in the period between Shishio's attempted assassination and arriving at Soujirou's house.
skenshingumi chapter 9 . 7/29/2006
You completely had me fooled. I thought Gozaemon was a goner. I loved the surprises both the single bullet and the dog. You created great images of this epic but comical yet deadly battle. I do love your original characters so I am glad that they didn’t die off. I am inspired to go back and reread 'Fear No Evil' to get a more positive take on being a Good Samaritan. This story has certainly been unique and great fun. I look forward to the epilogue.
skenshingumi chapter 8 . 7/29/2006
Oh, what an ominous last sentence. I liked the imagery here and the contrasts between Shishio and his father edging toward wildness just as Gozaemon serves as a civilizing and soothing force bringing Yoshi back from the brink. Shishio is obviously beginning his love affair with being on the brink and the charge that that gives him.

As for Gozaemon, I don’t know his future for certain but you have played fair, hinting since the beginning that there was a lot risk in his making it to the next Spring. It is nice for us and him that he got to reflect for a moment on how full his life has been.
skenshingumi chapter 7 . 7/29/2006
How did I miss these chapters? I liked Shishio's use of "chichi" instead of "outosan" if only because it seems less formal and more of a personal connection to his father. It is sad to think of this proud, competent warrior having to sneak home only to find his father dead or dying.

I found this chapter interesting because you have explained the beginnings of Shishio's army, the loyal retainers of his father’s estate. Creating Houji as the worshipping family servant seems inspired and perhaps explains his rather obsessive dedication to Shishio when we see him years later. Of course, his dedication is a bit creepy too as shown by that last paragraph. Shades of a repressed Kamatari? I don’t think I’ll explore that thought further.
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »