Reviews for The Shell Game
Phantom Night Owl chapter 42 . 12/13/2011
This was so much fun! I loved how Emily and Erik interacted, and the love scenes were smokin' hot. The American gang of criminals and the Pinkerton agent were great fun too...so much going on, plus a very nice romance...I loved the fact that Christine wasn't mentioned all that much...in the past is where she needed to stay and she did. Bless you. It was neat that Emily was a girl from Ohio...a nice twist, and the American cliches were very amusing coming from Erik's mouth. Hope there's more of Erik and Emily. Great job.
tartanspartan chapter 42 . 2/18/2008
Thank you Masters! Really enjoyed The Sorcerer and Shell! Can't wait to read Cat's!

BTW "pendejo" it's OK! I'm from Argentina and it's perfect in the context you used the word!

Cheers! Loved the duality Erik/Martin (never enough of Gerry for me)Lucky Emily, she has both of them to play with!

Anny
Elena-Unduli chapter 42 . 11/14/2007
I have read the Sorcerer and the Shell Game in three days xDD Wonderful wonderful fics!

I like the plot in both stories and the Erik/Martin thing it's really interesting :D Emily is a very good original character. I look forward to read the Cat's paw! ;)

PS: one thing, "pendejo" is a mexican or south american word. In Spain it would be more like "cabrón" . Apart from that, you did very good with Javier's mother language :) Know that you have a spanish reader here! :D
speedy56 chapter 42 . 11/4/2007
*Headdesk* I. Had. No. Idea. This. Was. Finished.

It must have slipped under the radar when I was in Italy!

Anyhow, its little bits of humor like this that you throw into your stories that make them such a delight to read:

“Our pleasure,” Javier replied. He hitched a thumb at Martin. “He’s not happy we didn’t get them all."

Chase grinned. “How can you tell? He always looks like that.”

Martin lifted an eyebrow. *snort*

Interesting, too, the more I read about Chase, the more I like him. He reminds me a little of Quincey Morris from Brams Dracula. Its not surprising he figured out Charles true identity, but its apparent that he and Erik/Martin have formed a respectful friendship - of sorts. Maybe its more of a mutual looking forward to reading more about him.

Anyhow, Im really hoping Erik doesnt return home and refer to Emily (affectionately) as a "hef-air." That may go over about as well as a cow pie in the punch bowl at a party.

This last line was brilliant:

Carlotta opened an eye and stretched. She climbed to her feet and jumped down to the floor and over to the room’s other bunk. If her two humans were going to keep making the bunk move, she’d find another spot to nap on.

Looking forward to reading "Cats-Paw."

Cheers!

Cathy *
gargoyle chapter 42 . 10/29/2007
Hello Kate!

Now that I have re-read the "scorcerer" and now "The Shellgame" I want to thank you again for those wonderful stories!

I love the Erik/Charles character! You can "feel" how he struggles to be part of the world- but is so afraid the world might again reject him or recognize The Phantom.

He tries so hard to leave the darkness behind and Emily is the right woman to pull him out of the dark.

The scene where Emily "discovers" the Phantom/ghost behind Charles personality is wonderful and I really laughed about the name of the cat: Charlotta- brava! I am glad you will continue - I am looking forward to Emily "looking" at Erik. I am sure you will make it a touching moment!

And ..cough.. is the a M chapter in "The Shell Game" ?

Greetings from Bavaria

Susanne
Mels4 chapter 42 . 10/17/2007
I just loved this story as much or more than "The Sorcerer of Rouen". You had such an interesting plot going on, as well as Erik/Charles and Emily getting to know each other better. I also liked Javier and his relationship with Sofie. I loved it when Emily pulled her shotgun out and shot out of her window. That was great! Charles Martin really comes across as dangerous, but his intelligence also shows through when dealing with anyone. I am worried that this gang has seen Emily and will come after her, or Erik or both. I can't wait for Cat's Paw and more of Erik and Emily's life. Maybe even a wedding soon! Wonderful story telling - you are very good. Mels
MadLizzy chapter 42 . 10/14/2007
This has been a very intelligently written story, and I've enjoyed it tremendously. I am glad that you intend to continue the story of Erik/Martin/the Phantom and Emily. (Whew! No wonder that bunk squeaks. It's got four people in it!) I hope to see more of married life for Erik and Emily soon.

Great ending, btw. That last sentence cracked me up.
JAXBOO chapter 42 . 10/10/2007
Congrats on completing another compelling and enjoyable tale of the lives and love of Erik/Martin/The Phantom and Emily! I liked how you opened with Javier and Martin joking with each other and reminding us of their wonderful camaraderie. It was fun how Chase even joined in and ribbed Martin. I am not sure how tied up this mystery is as I have a feeling we are going to see some of the usual suspects in the next story. Certainly, you have me wondering what will become of the villains of this tale.

Bravo for having Chase call Erik out on his multiple identities and for knowing that Erik will protect Emily. He really didn't need to remind Erik that Emily is in danger, but it was a good way to show Erik that his emotions about Emily betray who he is. You give Chase his detective props in how he handles a man who is a chameleon like Erik. Your 'Heifer' comment had me laughing and imagining what Emily would do if Erik ever repeated it to her. I do hope we see more of Chase in future stories.

I am looking forward to Erik and Emily concentrating on their romance and marriage, though I'm sure other dangers and adventures will also occupy their time. I have a feeling Carlotta is going to find herself a very pampered cat! The title of your next tale has me intrigued and I look forward to another of your exciting and always entertaining stories!

-Jax
OperaLover chapter 42 . 10/9/2007
Enough already! Bring on the wedding night! ;-

I must say, I have to wonder if this really will be the end of the mystery. You've led us down so many trails, and now with the next installment titled "Cat's Paw"? I think we're in for another wild (and hopefully very sexy) ride... Will all "the usual suspects" reappear in the next part? Hope so...

Bravissima, Kate! A wonderful story all 'round... and boy, howdy, you got that last line right... *grin*
lgf945 chapter 42 . 10/9/2007
Excellent wrap-up for the case. But, have we truly seen the last of Ned, Annie, Joe, etc.? You do know how to weave one heck of a mystery.

Now on with the wedding plans and some Erik/Emily action.

Thanks for the update.
Gargoyle chapter 42 . 10/9/2007
Hello Kate!

Now that you have finished The Shell game I have read the complete story starting from Sorcerer (again). Thank you for this wonderful story. I loved the characterization (spell?) of Erik and Emily! She is so strong and kind. I am looking forward to part 3!

Have a good time writing!

Greetings from Bavaria

Susanne
Mominator chapter 42 . 10/8/2007
Another wonderful story! A little confusing on occasion, but a good story nonetheless. (Though we STILL haven't had a wedding, even if Erik and Emily have already had the wedding night. ;D Dang well had BETTER have one next story!)

That Chase is pretty clever. Yeah, good thing he's an American and probably never heard of the Opera Ghost.

I love Carlotta, and hope she plays a role in keeping Emily safe (and with a title like "Cat's-Paw" it sure hints of it. :D)

I look forward to each of your stories with much enthusiasm. :D

Barb
Hot4Gerry chapter 42 . 10/8/2007
Holy smokes. Talk about cliff hanger. You left with nothing really solved. When will the next one start? Soon I hope. Martin/de la Schumatte/Erik and Emily need some R&R. Nothinglike relaxing and communing with each other to get the baby hormones flowing. I do so hope we see that eventuality in their future. It would be a wonderful bonus for them both.
Pertie chapter 42 . 10/8/2007
What an exciting installment 'The Shell Game' has been. Erik and Emily courted, fell in love, and had plenty of mystery mixed into their gatherings.

This last chapter was rather anti-climatic; everything seemingly tied-up - for now. This leaves some quality time for Erik and Emily and time to get back to their courtship.

Great chapter. Thank you for the update.
MJ MOD chapter 42 . 10/8/2007
Heifer? Chase is right, if Emily hears of this, she'll take Mr Colt and his big brother with her and chase after him! LOL Chase is bright, he realized De La Shaumette and Martin are the same man. It's surprising no one else made the link yet. Is the gang really after Emily? If so, they'll pay dearly any attempt on her life. Aw, poor Kitty. Emily and Erik are making the bunk move. I wonder what they're doing? *g*