Reviews for BFF
lionessblack chapter 42 . 6/26/2013
Well, it took about eight hours, but I reread this whole story in one sitting. I couldn't stop. It was like an addiction. Sometimes, when I knew things were coming, I could feel myself getting excited with anticipation ("We ran over Howie Johnson!" is still one of the funniest lines ever). I had forgotten why Mallory left Riverbend, and as I approached the last chapter, I was wondering, "We found out, right? I want to know!". But it was weird, knowing that Emily's death was looming. I didn't remember that last chapter with Julie and there was something about her telling Stacey that she and Rachel promised Emily they wouldn't let her die. And I realize how horribly screwed up Julie must have become after this. I'm sure, in some ways, she didn't even know (and maybe no one did because Julie's so weird and tends to do what she wants) that Emily grounded her. Emily was the straight-man to their relationship and without that, who knows what could come of Julie. Especially with a load of guilt added on top.

I found myself much more annoyed with Stacey this time around. I had little sympathy for her feelings about her mom about Mr. P. She needed to adjust to that faster. I get not wanting to be around Jenny (she was worse than I remembered!), but she treated Mr. P like crap for too long. Stacey's rampant self-centeredness got old fast. There was one moment, I can't even recall which, where she sort of patted herself on the back for thinking of others, but it was still a really self-involved moment. There was also a moment earlish in the story where she was mad at Mary Anne for keeping secrets, and then justified her own secrets from Mary Anne as protecting her. And she never even thought that maybe Mary Anne was doing the same thing. Stacey took refuge in her friendship with Mary Anne, and she STILL saw herself as being the "strong one" there, who needed to protect Mary Anne. She couldn't even admit, not even to herself, that she was just ashamed of what happened in ninth grade.

When I got to about chapter 25, I started reading reviews after every chapter. I rememered going over some of them with you and laughing about it. I was suddenly filled with fandom nostalgia. This fic series really was like its own fandom. It had fantastic continuity, building its own world of unhappiness. It's a momumental feat of a story, and still holds up after all these years as something I enjoy reading.
kylie90210 chapter 41 . 2/6/2013
Still one of the best BSC fanfics ever! Loved re-reading it, and still teared up over Emily. Now to re-read the others!
zora payke chapter 42 . 3/26/2012
this was a really good story, u really captured stacey.
metamorphstorm chapter 42 . 1/29/2012
This is just fantastic. I will remember it forever.
metamorphstorm chapter 22 . 1/27/2012
Fantastic. I can almost feel Stacey's emotions. I don't know quite which she's feeling, since my own are so similar and to truly relate, I'd have to totally immerse myself in this. But I will, someday. I can still feel her emotions as if I'm her, like her problems are mine. That's how realistic they are, how well this is written, and how cruel life really is.
metamorphstorm chapter 21 . 1/27/2012
I an sort of see everyone's points of view in this, but Stacey shouldn't feel like (quoting from the last line of chapter 21) "I have so much to make up to so many people."

I get that her mom feels bad, but not enough. Not nearly enough. Calling her daughter exactly like the father who abandoned them both when Stacey (I never thought I'd say it, after how snobby she was in the books and whining about her three little moves within the same state-but that's how good this is; every twist and turn in the plot is an amazing surprise and I'm developing a liking for Stacey even though I always hated her...I guess she's developing a character here) was the one who arranged her whole life around her parents and her diabetes.

I don't know how she's still so strong. I burst into tears reading the last few chapters. It's maybe all just too real for me right now but I can't stop reading.
metamorphstorm chapter 16 . 1/27/2012
"Stacey, you're too young to know what it's like to be very unhappy for a very long time."

This bothers me. A lot. I totally understand that a parent who never experienced a parental split doesn't understand the full extent of its impact, but how can anyone who has ever felt either love of grief (and as a divorced woman, Mrs./Ms. McGill must have felt both) not understand? For a parent to tell a kid, under any circumstances, but especially these, in which a mother cheated and broke up a marriage/the father left and thinks she's selfish for loving him and not wanting him to go, that she's selfish is just amazingly selfish itself. I wanted to smack all of Stacey's parents. Being a teenager sucks-the school, the friends, the boy drama, and familial drama. It sucks, and I can totally relate. I myself have no idea what to do about anything anymore, and I'm very, very interested in seeing where this goes.

I just adore this story. It's realistic and relatable, and everyone is amazingly human. I can see the characters developing before my eyes. I can't believe Mal is "allowed" to smoke. I love that you included details about friendship, like 'choosing between friends' when you're really deciding and acting on what you think is right. Most FFN authors, including myself, skirt around such delicate issues, but you seem to dive right in and handle them all like someone who's experienced it all and understands life itself. Moreso, this shines through in this story. You are my new favorite FFN author.
metamorphstorm chapter 11 . 1/27/2012
This is amazing. I don't have much time to read these days so I take it when I can; I've been at it for hours.

Anyway, more importantly, this story is amazing! I love all of the little details about friendship (failed, especially) and parents. I'm currently relating very much to Stacey about her parents-a father who left (twice) and a mother who rags on him but is dating a guy named Nick. I'm not even kidding; I let out a real groan when I heard that Stacey's mother was dating a Nicholas. I think it was awful of her to act as she did, and for all of Stacey's parents to not even bother trying to understand. I get that she's seventeen or something now, but change is hard for anyone. I was 18/19 when my family fell apart, and I did, too. She's being pretty mature about it all.

Excellent story. I'm relating to all the characters, and I love this Jessi-racism drama. She did always fall into that pretty easily. I know she didn't get such a friendly welcome to town, but then even after everyone was nice to her, she was pouncing on anyone who seemed uncomfortable when she was around because they just had to be racist or something. I love that Stacey pushed her way through them...

Keep writing, please! I hope you write a lot more BSC stories :D
Special Agent Stace chapter 41 . 9/21/2011
EVERY TIME I READ THIS I AM APPALLED THAT SHANNON AND HER STUPID PREGNANCY TEST MADE EMILY DIE!
OzQueene chapter 42 . 10/27/2010
I've been reading this the past few weeks and I finally finished! I really loved it. It's really different to any other bsc fic I've read. I loved that storylines involved the parents as much as the kids and I love the way you took the characters and developed them so well :)

The only thing that threw me off now and then was the word "whore" - it seemed to be used a fair bit and I never really liked it. But that's probably just personal preference :)

Great job!
WriterInTraining713 chapter 5 . 10/19/2009
Hmm... this is getting more dramatic...
WriterInTraining713 chapter 2 . 10/19/2009
I like this chapter, too. And you're making me slowly like Stacey and Mary Anne. I always thought Stacey was a bit too stuck up, and that Mary Anne wasn't a very realistic eighth grade girl. But now, you're making me like them a lot more.

What's happened to Mallory, though? She's hilarious, but I loved the old Mal. Sad. :(

Anyway, great job.
WriterInTraining713 chapter 1 . 10/19/2009
It's good- but I'm hating Mallory, which is making me sad, because she's always been my favorite. Weird.
Special Agent Stace chapter 42 . 5/27/2009
My excuse for not reviewing until now is that this story was honestly the BEST fanfic I have ever read- I truly believed it was real! I loved the way you made Stacey. when I read the start of the chapter when they buried Emily I was genuinely shocked. The characters were all so great. You write fantastically and you should be really proud of yourself. I think you could be a real author, you have so much talent. I'm really sad to see the end of this story. I wish there was a prequel or something!

Absolutely amazing. Thank you!
Cazx chapter 42 . 2/16/2008
I finished reading this a week ago and meant to review then but then I discovered Most Likely to Suceed and had to read that!

BFF was so well written, and the storyline was so interesting that I was sad to have reached the end in a way as I wanted to read more. Stacey was my favourite BSC character and I think you captured her perfectly. I was glad that she and Mary-Anne ended on a positive note and I hope they become the friends they used to be as from what happened in MLTS I think M-A needs to have friends to support her-though maybe Stacey doesn't need another secret to deal with.

Emily's death was so sad and I really felt for both Stacey and Julie, incidently was Julie ever mentioned in the BSC books or is she your own original character? I really liked Julie and would like to hear more about her!

I'd also like to hear whether anything happens regarding Grace's secret. There's plenty of scope for a sequel!

This has turned out to be a very long review but I just want to say thank you for writing this and I've really enjoyed reading it.