Reviews for House of Cards
Enchanter468 chapter 1 . 9/11/2007
Wow. That was excellent! I don't think I would have appreciated this story nearly as much if I hadn't seen a few episodes of Destiny before reading it (I know this sounds off-topic, but bear with me).

In the show, Kira and Lacus are living together, but Kira always seems to be very somber and distant (he spends a lot of time staring out at the ocean). The sort of distance you describe in the story is eerily close to what I saw in the show. I wonder if he's still missing Fllay in the beginning of Destiny...

Anyway, it's very well-written; sweet and kind of disturbing at the same time.

P.S. I agree Fllay is an awesome character, but I don't consider her evil. She's a traumatized girl that makes a terrible decision, but later learns better and seeks to make amends. The repentance and redemption are what I like most about her.
Akanne-Anne chapter 1 . 4/17/2007
Hi Lizzy rebel! (cool name!)

Good work.

I agree with you, Flay is really a Gundam Seed institution if you can her that-I mean, I love watching for 3 reasons: (1) Kira and Lacus pairing; (2) The cool mobile suits; (3) and I love to hate Flay!

She's the character that I would never cease to love to hate.

Akanne-Anne
MapleRose chapter 1 . 8/3/2006
wow...

this is definately going into my faves.

I love how you portrayed the Kira/Lacus relationship, makes me see it in a totally new way. I guess if you think about it, it's true, their relationship is sort of based on need and guidance, and Kira probably sees her as someone to guide him rather than someone who he can love. And it's good to know that Lacus isn't perfect, that she too feels pain, sadness, loneliness and jealousy.

Wonderful metaphors and diction, and great flow. It was a great read!
Xenophen chapter 1 . 10/3/2005
(FEEL FREE TO SKIP THE FIRST PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT, IT IS JUST ADVICE ON CODE OF CONDUCT WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A POINT)

...The best? Whatever else, please don't off a tirade like that by saying "we have to admit it" and "you did hate her". Thats called inflicting your will on others, and doesn't leave a very good impression, and it certainly didn't make a good point. Your free to your own opinions, but no one else has to admit... well anything.

On the other hand, the story was well-written, I'll give you that.

To me, however, Flay will always be a regrettable but necessary character. She did play a prominent and important part, but ultimately it was her fate to die and by succeeded by Lacus, as Gundam Seed Destiny (the sequel series)indicates. She did accomplish quite a bit, which is why I don't say that FlayxKira is drabble, although I am a LacusxKira fan.

As for Flay being the best. Are you sure? I disagree to begin with, as I don't think she is the best (or even if there is such a thing), but for the sake of the logical argument I'm about to present, lets assume you are right and she is the best.

However, everything that you say that makes Flay "the best", was done on a much grander scale by Rau le Creusat. Rau le Cresaut is the complementary "dude with the mask" that comes with every Gundam universe I can remember. Now, as I said, everything Flay could do, Rau le Creusat could do better.

I'll sum up the similarties, and indicate what would make Rau le Creusat better.

-Flay was insane (sort of).

-Rau le Creusat was insane (very).

-Flay wanted to destroy Coordinators (very much).

-Rau le Creusat wanted to destroy Coordinators AND Naturals (even more so).

-Flay deceived Kira to destroy Coordinators.

-Rau le Creusat deceived EVERYBODY THAT CAME WITHIN A CERTAIN RADIUS OF HIM to destroy Coordinators AND Naturals.

-Flay deceived KIRA by being compassionate and understanding (acting).

-Rau le Creusat deceived EVERYONE by being compassionate and undestanding. For example, he didn't let Athrun fight Kira for awhile, but then let him loose. Rau le Creusats influence effected Athrun, like when he said: if you don't shoot you might be the one you be shot. Thus, Athrun nearly killing Kira was enforced by Rau le Creusat. (And Nicol's death, but Rau le Creusat gave Athrun the justification he needed to kill a friend).

-Flay lacked patience to achieve her aims. She failed horribly. At everything she set out to do.

-Rau le Creusat had a great deal of patience and almost achived his aims. He came close. He certainly ruined millions, if not billions, of lives.

-Flay died, which caused Kira severe depression and endangered his mind.

-Rau le Creusat killed Flay, which caused all of Kira's anger and hatred to transfer to him which led to the climatic end of the series. More important than Flay dying was the FACT that Rau le Creusat had killed her. Had Flay died by normal means, like sickness, the ending of the series would have been far different. In fact, Rau le Creusat probably would have succedded in wiping out Coordinators and naturals.

-Flay was tricked by Ray le Creusat.

-Rau le Creusat was tricked by nobody.

Conclusion: There are infintiely more examples or possibilties. In the end, it comes down to this: Everything Flay could and did do, Rau le Creusat could and did much better and on a much grander and higher scale.

So... for everyone reason Flay is "the best", Rau le Creusat is "the best."

Rau le Creusat and Flay share many personality traits. In fact, they share the same principles.
Story Weaver1 chapter 1 . 10/3/2005
Well that was pretty bitter. While I agree that Faly changed the most that doesn't mean the other characters didn't change. Like Athurn for instance: Innocent pacifist to Elite obedient soilder to a fight-from-your-heart-warrior.
Experimental chapter 1 . 10/3/2005
It's stories like yours that are gonna make a Flay fan out of me yet. Someday. In any case, the dynamic between the two women here, even beyond the grave, is excellent. I really feel bad for Lacus and understand how she can feel both justified in her selfishness regarding Kira and guilty from your writing. It's especially effective when you hint at the similarities in Flay's and Lacus's situations; that's crucial to understanding where they come from and how they turned out.

"Let me have him," is the best piece of dialog. So much desperation as well as practicality, and other emotions, wrapped up in those four words. This is one of those stories that transcends the fandom and touches on the universal. Excellent.
Prayer Reverie chapter 1 . 10/3/2005
an excellent job, a treat to see a K/F story, even a subtle one as this.
KiraFreedom chapter 1 . 10/2/2005
wow that was, i dont even know how to describe it. That is probably what would have happend right after GS or something like it
inappropriate laughter chapter 1 . 10/2/2005
No offense at all; you're quite correct. Do you know, whenever I've thought of GS as a live-action, serious drama, I've always thought of post-war, post-Flay-death KL involving the precise feelings and thoughts that you've written here. I mean, in all honesty, right? Thats what it would most likely be. Anyway, amazing one-shot. Please keep it up.