Reviews for Broken Toys
ginchy-amanda chapter 1 . 7/31/2013
Gaaaah, so perfect. It gives me hope, much like Zoe. Great piece.
Delwin chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
Just absolutely beautiful. From the title on - just perfect. Thank you for this.
Sedentary Wordsmith chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
Wow. This was so unbelievably sad. I had to really struggle to hold back my tears in order to avoid getting weird looks from my husband. I definitely understand Zoe's reasoning about wanting to hold on to a piece of her husband. That's what really got me. (Mine is in the military and I'm hoping for a child soon myself, even though this exact scenario has entered my head before.) That's what really got me. So depressing. I had always thought that was one of the sadder parts of the series, how Zoe wanted a baby but Wash didn't think it was a good idea, but then no matter what they may have decided, it was too late anyway and he was gone.
An incredible piece. Excellent, excellent job. The voice was just perfect; I could almost hear Mal dictating this. Spot on. I loved it. Keep up the great work.

-Word
MixItUp chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
This actually brought tears to my eyes. So well done. Just...I honestly can't figure up enough good words to describe it. It doesn't even feel written. It feels organic, like it was just another scene of the story that we never got to see.
bellachaos chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
Lovely story. I really like how you left the ending undefined.
homeric chapter 1 . 3/5/2011
Really lovely writing - you totally nailed both Mal and Zoe's voices here.
peculiarjuliar chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
Beautiful. I just finished watching Serenity for the first time, and I had to come find something to make me feel a little better. This, though sad, did achieve that goal. You've also managed to capture Mal's voice extremely well.

- pj
ames 449 chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
Loved this. Really nice little fic piece. It was awesome. THanks for sharing.
Winnychan chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
Hey, I don't stray outside my genre of choice too often, but I just wanted to say that I stumbled upon this fic by chance and found this ficlet a real pleasure to read. You capture Zoë especially well throughout this. I suppose I've always loved their easy banter and comfortable working relationship. The idea of this new awkwardness springing up between her and Mal was very well executed here, and saddened me more than I expected.

This was probably my favorite part:

So I sit at an unfamiliar post day after day, hoping that I

don't ever have to do anything fancy. Fact is, I've leaned

toward the safer jobs lately. Not just because the Alliance

will probably be none too forgiving in regards to our little

broadcast, but because, in a pinch, I know I can't handle this

ship the way she's accustomed to being handled. I can whisper

sweet nothings with the best of them, call her my baby, but

the sad fact is, I just don't have the touch – not where this

lady is concerned. And I can't risk my crew while Serenity's

taking her time warming back up to me.

I won't bother to quote the paragraph that followed it, talking about River's uncanny way with the ship, but all of that was excellent too. The whole idea of River filling Wash's role is pretty intriguing. But now that I think back over some of the episodes, especially the one where she fooled that killer into thinking she WAS the ship... yeah. I can see it.

I took the events of Serenity pretty hard, due to all the character death. Especially because of what happened to Wash, always my favorite, it was difficult for me to even picture life carrying on after the movie Serenity. But this swept me right into those places where my imagination had feared to tread, and I bought every word. Thanks for sharing it with us.

XOXO

Winny
bladefax chapter 1 . 8/24/2008
good
RionaEire chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
I nearly skipped over this one because of the ambiguous summary, I'm glad I didn't. It is beautifully written and one of the few first person accounts written from the point of view of one of our beloved crew members. It seemed a bit like something Mal could have written and that's why it was poignant. I cried when Zoe talked about how having Wash, even for a while, was better than never having him, never taking the risk to love and be loved in return. Thank you for using the word "touched" to describe River. This is a word that I use for such descriptions and it is not used very often so I like it when I see it because it just seems kinder than some of the other words for such people as River. I'm going to read your other stories now, hopefully River stays touched, a story where River is normal makes me bored and so I don't want to read. "A completely coherant River means writers don't deliver" KatTaya. Thanks for producing this moving piece of writing, it really meant something to me.

Riona
Alison M. DOBELL chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
This was lovely and beautifully handled. You managed to show the off-kilter emotion of the Captain running through his battered but still in one piece ship and remaining crew. Loved most the dialogue between Zoe and Mal and how it ended with them back in perfect understanding. I would also like to meet that child. Ali D :)

You can't take the sky from me
The Breeze chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
Great story.

I liked every little thing about it.

-Steve
macisgate chapter 1 . 8/22/2008
Lovely! This was really beautiful. Wonderful job!
jerrysaries328 chapter 1 . 2/15/2008
This was very, very good.

I've seen this same topic dealt with in every way from very, very poorly, to comedic, to nightmarish.

This was perfect. A wonderful blend of poignancy, an in-character Mal/Zoe relationship, (which is nearly impossible to find) and a real feel for the story.

Favorited!