Reviews for Descent into Darkness: The Specters of Our Pasts
dmichelle312 chapter 3 . 1/19/2015
As Chi said, "Oh god. I'm worried. Every time he says he can overcome it because he's overcome hundreds of problems, he almost dies."

I've always said that Bregan D'aerthe members are extremely dangerous, unpredictable, and cannot be trusted in any way, especially Kimmuriel (and I hate him as much as Artemis does), I've always said that many of them, maybe not all of them but many of them (including Kimmuriel), would try to murder Jarlaxle to replace him as leader with the most sadistic of their members in order to use the organization for their evil projects, like conquering the surface with major raids, genocide, slavery, and dictatorship, starting a bloody war against the surface dwellers. Every time I hear about the Bregan D'aerthe members, I fear very much for Jarlaxle's life, especially when Kimmuriel is around him, and I really don't like that Kimmuriel is the leader now, well, co-leader (I also suspect that Bregan D'arthe was infiltrated by followers of Vaehrun, who also seek to conquer the surface). On the other hand, I shudder to think about what the members of Bregan D'aerthe or a similar group would do to each other and to the surface dwellers if they weren't under Jarlaxle's leadership, if he wasn't in charge I know that nothing would stop them from visiting torture, major raids and bloodshed on the surface dwellers, and what makes it even worse is that many of them are overly ambitious. Oh my God, what did Jarlaxle got himself into? It seems that he was unawarely and inadvertently dragged into a very dangerous "Mafia and godfathers" game. Those overly ambitious insane maniacs should be downright ashamed of themselves, he saved those house war survivors from certain death, provided them with the basic necessities of life, and developed their skills and potential, and how do they thank him? By biting the hand that fed them? The ungrateful bastards. He treated them much better than the insane and sadistic female political and religious leaders did, and now they're trying to kill him. Well, in the context of this fanfic, I sure hope he manage to kill Mordecai and his traitors, because 1) that would be self-defense, and 2) that would stop an eventual bloody war that would cause the death of thousands of surface dwellers.

I don't like the idea of Jarlaxle returning to Menzoberranzan. He should leave this horrible place permanently and stay on the surface, he deserve so much better than Menzoberranzan, so much better than torture, abuse, humiliation, gender discrimination, so much better than being surrounded by criminally insane and violent females who treat males like garbage and cannon foders, so much better than the lies (and indoctrination) he's been fed about himself and the world ever since he was a child. He deserves freedom, healing, real growth, friendships, and happiness, and he'll never find that in Menzoberranzan. With a little luck, Loth's clergy, and Mordecai and his traitors, will kill each other off, and good riddance to both of them. Yes, I don't like the idea of him returning to that aweful city, but on the other hand (still in the context of this fanfic) if he doesn't temporarily return and enact discipline and bring some order then the overly ambitious crazy ones will continue to hunt him down to kill him and something horrible will happen on the surface. Either way, things don't look good and it makes me feel gloomy. And what about helping Artemis to find himself and not leaving his side?

*Sigh* :( Ariel, I feel Jarlaxle's dilemma and empathize with his problem. And you know, just for the record, this dilemma really sucks. I mean, really really sucks. I hope he knows what he's doing, and I hope he's gonna be okay. I trust you with his fate and friendship more than I do Salvatore.
dmichelle312 chapter 2 . 1/19/2015
I agree with what Chi said:

"This is a very good story. I'm worried for Jarlaxle and Artemis because of Mordecai. And of Jarlaxle's perceived weakness. Because it isn't! I want to be his friend. It's surprising that a story could make me feel so much for this man, as if he is real, and that it's a story that is fanfiction. Your Jarlaxle is someone I care about."
dmichelle312 chapter 1 . 1/19/2015
"Unfortunately, Entreri's inn was far from the town's main thoroughfare. The only decent establishment in town had rejected them upon seeing Jarlaxle's ebony skin; in fact, when the patrons had seen the drow, a fight had nearly broken out. It was the same everywhere they went, but here in The North the prejudice was worse: Entreri and Jarlaxle had been run out of towns, ambushed by angry citizens, and assaulted by by town guards in several places they'd stopped. The assassin found that his mild irritation over the inconvenience was turning into something deeper. On one hand, he understood the people's hatred of the drow, but on the other hand, he found himself growing increasingly angry on Jarlaxle's behalf. It wasn't that the mercenary wasn't dangerous - he certainly was - but he was too wise and diplomatic to harm anyone without good cause. Today, the assassin had almost spoken up for Jarlaxle and defended his reputation to the inn's patrons; however, when he'd realized what he was about to say, his own shock stopped him. Still, when Entreri thought upon the incident he felt irritated, and he wondered, just an instant, if Drizzt Do'Urden's friends had suffered the same sense of frustration. The thought was promptly stomped upon and killed."

This makes me so angry. It really makes my blood boil. Those people are freaking bigots is what they are. People who judge others based on their skin color, origins, ethnicity or gender are imbeciles, and I have no tolerance and patience for imbeciles, MUCH LESS for imbeciles who are BIGOTS (and why should I since they refuse to educate themselves and aknowledge the harm caused by bigotry? I know from personal experiences that there is no reasoning with racial supremacists, misandrists/mysoginists and feminists/masculinists, homophobes, ablesists, and other such virulent bigots, most of them full of hypocrisy and double standards), and as far as I'm concerned, BIGOTRY is the worst form of imbecility, and the MOST HARMFUL too since it started pretty much all the wars, including the insane race wars and sex wars. As an advocate for egalitarianism, equal treatment, human rights, and equality for all, I hate bigotry in all its forms with a passion. Had I been in Artemis' place, I would've told the bigoted idiot that if he so much as look at Jarlaxle that way again I would make him regret the day he was born. Like Jarlaxle, I hate unnecessary force and violence (it's counter-productive and reaps more violence, it doesn't solve anything, and my code of principles and values wouldn't allow it), but in the cause of blatant bigotry, I would have to use all of my self-control not to punch the bigot in the face. I'd manage, but I'd be relieved if someone else was there with me just in case, but I strive to stay true to my principles and my true self. I just hope that the Artemis of this fanfic will speak up for his friend Jarlaxle (as I would). If he doesn't, who will? As of this chapter, he is not angry enough about it, because if he was, he wouldn't let people spew racist comments and verbally attack his friend, and he wouldn't let anything stop him from standing up for his friend where bigotry is concerned, he wouldn't let anything get in the way of his doing just that, not even his own unresolved issues. He still has some growth to do.

I enjoyed reading your previous trilogy (and its prequel), though it brought me back to my past unpleasant experiences (a lot of abuse, betrayals, and losses) and my issues, and caused me to question/ponder some things (like my trust issues, reactions, defense mechanisms, and some of my warped views), which is normal I guess when you're reading a story that has a lot of that stuff (and I've always had a deep identification with Jarlaxle and Artemis since I've had similar experiences to their own), it seems that reading or writing fanfictions can sometimes be cathartic and enlightening, it might even bring some healing. I enjoyed witnessing the character development of Jarlaxle and Artemis in your previous trilogy. I'm looking forward to reading your two sequels.

You're an excellent, keep up the good work. :)
Andi chapter 9 . 2/28/2008
I LOVE this fanfic! You have to continue it like you say you will or I shall die in agony.
SchattenTanzer chapter 9 . 1/21/2007
Awesome stuff as always! We can't wait until Mordecai meets his fate. Looking forward to seeming more of Artemis trying to help Tai.

Can't read the next one now, but we look forward to it
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 3 . 7/6/2006
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 2 . 7/6/2006
Surreptitious Chi X chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
I loved their banter! It was so perfect, that moment, Jarlaxle insisting he'd been teased and Artemis saying he hadn't. And I love Tai, actually. I don't know what to make of him, but what I do know is that he's charmed me, not only the two dangerous personages of Jarlaxle and Artemis.
Atoile chapter 9 . 5/6/2006
Geez, poor Tai... Yeah, I'll bet this story helps people realize how bad rape really is.

Oh, but I do like Cat. Mordecai sucks, but Cat is cool. I really hope Mordecai gets punished.
Atoile chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
Yay! Tai is back! Hello, Tai...

Normally I wait till I've read the whole story to review, but I had to say hi, you understand.

Now, why is he back...?
Ashen Triskel chapter 9 . 1/25/2006
I didn't mention it in the chapter this was included in, but I think you handled the rape scene very well. In fact, not actually describing it makes it more shocking... we don't have time to grow numb, we just find poor Tai lying on the ground, bloodied and traumatized. It more effectively conveys the horror of his rape, but without actually giving us a blow by blow account of it. Although, for people with unceasingly vivid imaginations and a tendency to empathize with story characters (like me) we don't get away from the blow-by-blow account so easily. :P Anyway, great story, as usual! NOW MORDECAI MUST DIE! *fangs erupt from ferociously growling mouth*
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 3 . 1/17/2006
Artemis's musings on the evil little drow were very funny. By the way, Mordecai was the cousin of Esther, who married King Ahasuerus of the Persian Empire in Biblical times, and together Esther and Mordecai saved the Jews from being destroyed at the will of some of the king's less pleasant councilors. Interesting name choice, considering the difference in the two.
Iceheart Firesoul chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
Lol. This just gets better and better. Now that Artemis doesn't just silently suffer through Jarlaxle's loquacity, some very amusing conversations pop up. Now what is so urgent and how did Tai find them?
Nariel chapter 9 . 11/25/2005
I already like that priestess, right after the first sentence - guess why.

OK, chapter 5... upsetted me. A lot. As scared and mortified I was: my eyes were glued to the screen. And Artemis' reaction! The description of his dilemma: to care or not to care, which is worse? I wish I had better words to describe... I was so gripped, I couldn't even laugh about the quote "I want to believe" (that's what that alien-crazed FBI-agent Mulder from the X-Files always says.) Usually, I would have cracked up... but not after this particular scene. *dead-serious*

To me, it doesn't matter whether a rape scene is implied or graphic: in the first case, my imagination proves a curse, along with my habit to identify myself with the characters I read about. And those who move me mostly, leave a part of themselves in me. Like, after Artemis Entreri I found myself being unable to sleep with an unlocked bedroom door. Or dropping lewd comments at any opportunity presented, that one's from a manga character (an obnoxious, bisexual cop named Dee. He's cool. No arguing!)...and many other quirks. Sometimes, it's scary.

You write brilliantly, can't say it often enough. You really draw the reader in, like with a spider web. I can't even leave a review after each chapter cause I want to continue reading.

I won't ever dare to call myself a writer after reading your work... I'm not worthy! *wide eyed*

Yours and in awe,

Nariel
Nariel chapter 8 . 11/25/2005
Ha! He laughs the cliched villain laugh! That bastard's doomed. Wishin' you a BAD demise, Mordy-honey. *growls*