Reviews for What It Means To Be You
Iggy - Essence of Angst chapter 1 . 11/24/2005
Alright. Time for me to make some else's day a lot brighter.

Wow. What can I say?

A lot.

First of all: you inspired me to write my own Full Metal Alchemist fanfic. I've been wanting to write FMA fanfic for awhile, maybe 2-3 months before I was finally able to do it. You unknowingly helped me, not only with how to write out the characters' perspectives, but the narrative style needed to get the emotions across the page. (although I have been an angst-obsessed freak for a long time, so the genre in itself wasn't that hard to write)

During that episode, I did wonder, 'why on earth would Al allow Barry to convince him of otherwise? why is he allowing Barry to persuade him so easily about being "false"?'

And this fic is dead-on with how Ed's frustration would have come out. Here goes:

Wow. Just wow. I LOVE the way you portrayed Ed's thoughts in response to Al's unspoken doubt about his own humanity.

"Even if you hold me at gunpoint and demand for it, I would rather die than fabricate a fairy tale to make things easier for you" - So true. Ed is completely one hundred perfect devoted to Al, and the sacrifice he may one day have to make if he is ever to return Al to his original body.

"You know I’d rather be agonized twice as much as I should, if only to see that you’re doing okay." - Even if he says that, he is already emotionally tormented by the burden of what he has caused by attempting the forbidden on that fateful day. But regardless of that statement... the truth is that we both know that Ed would go to any lengths to make sure that his little brother should never suffer again.

"It’s not even about not having limbs to fit into those clangy sheaths of that ancient armor. Nor having a face to show off behind that steely mask."

"It’s not so much about having all the normal traits that people can readily see. It’s about having all the normal emotions that the people who truly care for you can readily feel."

"You are human, Al. I don’t think I can ever think of you as anything else. You are even more human than most of those who do look it at first glance."

There is nothing that I can say how much I love those simple, yet almost thorough statements from Ed's perception of Al's existence. I'm serious. I could say that I love them, that they are all perfectly accurate and true to what the characters think during the series, no matter what situation they are put into, but it wouldn't be enough. (I actually had tears in my eyes at one point)

All I can say is that I am glad I clicked on the link. I'm glad I took the time to read this. I would love it if you wrote more stuff like this, but I also know pressuring someone, or specifically asking them, doesn't always necessarily motivate them to write more. So I leave you with this:

Thank you for inspiring me, and thank you for writing such a short, but intensely emotional one-shot. This is the first one-shot fanfic I have ever actually printed out.

~ Iggy - Essence of Angst ~

(P.S. I would love to discuss the subject of FMA with you via MSN or Yahoo, or fanfics in general, as you seem to be a very good writer)
MusicalRileyChan chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
Aw, poor Edo... very good -
Linen Tartaruga chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
*Happy sigh*

That's really all I can say. Wonderful work, and I look forward to reading more from you. .
The 13th Leprechaun chapter 1 . 10/9/2005
Wow... somehow, to me, this felt rather thought-provoking and I really did like it. Makes me think about how I see reality and the world myself. This was great. I liked it. Thought-provoking and in a sense, touching. Ah, brotherly love... how we love thee. XD Hehe. Nice oneshot.