Reviews for Yggdrasil
P chapter 1 . 9/30/2013
Great story, I love how you connected and interpreted the details from the books and the touch of mythology.
riverrat chapter 1 . 5/27/2013
Great story. It shows another side of Severus. The way he is feeling inside and not the cold outside that we know out of the books.
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
Thank you. Until now I did not realise I'd been, erm, too unfair on Severus for this. This is a perfect explanation.
Sometimes, I wish I could just smack Sirius over the head. His attitude... What is so depressing to me is that Sirius, thanks to Azkaban, never got the chance to develop further, to change. I'm glad you saw that he main reason Sirius lashed out at Severus was because "he hated the self he was shown to himself". Though whether he realised was another matter.
And then of course Sirius was forced, after only a year of proper freedom (PoA doesn't count; he was obsessed of Pettigrew & exposed to Dementors), to go back to his ancestral home, a place that was almost as bad a prison for him, full of bad memories...
The saddest part of the Sirius Black tale is that he died before he could fully grow up & realise fully the consequences of his actions. Thanks to Azkaban & the 2nd war & Grimmauld Place, he was not-quite-stuck at a mental age of early-20s. And given the fact his parents were first cousins, his mind was surely a bit muddled anyway.
He never got the chance to change.
mebmarker chapter 1 . 6/27/2009
I find it interesting how Severus can be so bitter about being poorly thought of by Sirius and Harry when, in the eyes of Sirius and Harry, he had only bore ill will towards them. Even though he had certainly been protective of Harry, he was intent upon hiding all the goodness in himself and only showcasing his prejudice against Harry that stemmed from his hatred of James.

So as far as Harry knew, Severus was a bitter potions teacher with a childhood grudge against his dad. We could really blame this on Dumbledore if we were so inclined, with all of his secrets, but the poor old man was really trying his best and he did orchestrate a happy enough ending, didn't he?

Now Sirius, however, is a different matter. As far as we're aware Sirius and Severus never showed any sort of kindness towards each other. At all. I've never read a fic that gave me a satisfying back story for that feud.

At any rate, a lot of Severus's resentment is unnecessary, but who ever said that bitterness had to be justifiable?

Sometimes, I think the world would be better off if every made their motivations absolutely clear, and other times, I think of how horrid that would be (and what horrible literature it would make).

So, there are my views on your mindset. As for your writing style, it's intriguing and compelling and honest, though a bit unorganized. Kind of like our brains. So since this is supposed to be a look into Severus's mind, I suppose it suits pretty well.

Nicely done.
AllegroAssai chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
This shot is a bloody legend. I don't know how many times I have re-read it, and loved it a little more each time.

I just can't blame him for being so 'evil' to the Golden Trio and the Marauders. I couldn't count how many thank yous and apologies he is owed. As far as I know, he didn't get any. I don't even think the author herself really gives enough credit to this character.
RebeccaRoy chapter 1 . 9/26/2008
Wow, we get a bit more of Severus here than before though really he has noone but himself to blame for joining Voldemort. He is very nearly as guilty as Wormtail of cowardice for not saying "alright I was terribly bullied in school and could have just gone and become the great potions master I was capable of. However I was a fool and went to Voldemort." I cannot get over that one little fact that makes him very much a jerk and coward to say such things.
digigirl02 chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Great piece, you captured Snape's thoughts well.
Arinus chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
I love this look into Severus' mind. It's interesting to see him addressing fear openly, since it's something he takes pains to hide from everyone.

I think my favorite thing about this story is that Severus is an adult looking back on childhood bullying. It's just like life in the "real world", where it sometimes takes the perspective of an adult mind to see how truly twisted and cruel children can be to each other.

I'd be interested to read similar ruminations from Black's perspective. In his treatment of Severus, I have always wondered if there was a small part of him saying "Why the hell am I doing this?". I wonder if he ever saw the stark likeness he bore to the rest of his family. Outwardly, he cast them off, but he became the other side of the coin; he was just as bigoted and cruel as they were, only it was from the other side of the fence.

Anyway, this fic really gets me thinking and exploring the characters, which is always a plus. I love that even as it answers some questions pertaining to Severus' attitudes et cetera, it poses new questions. I liked the use of allusions too, and I'm glad you explained them at the end.
whitehound chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
Ignore this - this is me testing character sets for an ffn how-to page.

w w w. whitehound. co. uk/Fanfic/good_or_bad_Snape. ht . whitehound . co . uk / Fanfic / good_or_bad_Snape . htm

3ws dot whitehound dot co dot uk forward-slash Fanfic slash good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape dot htm

whitehound madasafish. com

whitehound madasafish . com

whitehound at madasafish. com

whitehound at madasafish . com

whitehound at madasafish dot com
Domenic chapter 1 . 9/6/2007
Going on favorites.

Always get a kick out of Snape accurately criticizing the others, but this is just a really good perspective of his.

"It has never occurred to him to thank me for saving him from dangers which were real: so why should he thank me in respect of one which I only imagined?"

That gets to me.
trekker2002 chapter 1 . 8/31/2007
Another good one. Brilliant.
Rae Seddon chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
This is a return review, since you just reviewed my 'Fly.' This has to be the single most literate piece of fan fiction I have read. The incorporation of the images of Yggdrasil is flawless with the picture you paint in Snape's mind of that night. I am seriously stunned by this.
libertyelyot chapter 1 . 8/8/2007
Wandering into your profile has certainly paid dividends. This is superlative; Snape's distinctive voice captured in amber. Your style is poetic (the section where he describes his dreams recalls Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est to me) and beautifully lucid.

On another level, this is particularly satisfying to me as I find the character of Sirius Black unbearable, for all the reasons you, as Snape, elucidate here.

Well, I'm rubbing my hands with glee here. A lovely rich seam for me to mine. Thanks!
FlameOfIllumination chapter 1 . 7/25/2007
Well. this is very good. I think you really capture Snape's voice, and your point about no-one even checking to see if Snape was alive in the Shrieking Shack, was very shocking to me because I realised that I, a fan of Snape, never even noticed! I loved the snarky comment about Lupin being fine with sneering at him for his looks when Lupin turns into a werewolf every month. lol.
the return of merry chapter 1 . 6/17/2007
I love how you've incorporated Yggdrasil into Harry Potter, and especially with Snape - my favourite character! The writing was superb. Very tense and almost desperate in a way. I love that you've pointed out, especially, how Harry always interprets Snape running in to save him as Snape running in to ruin everything. This really was great. Great flow, and I liek your style. And, of course, the Norsk mythology that goes along with it.