Reviews for The Newest Recruit
nsunrider chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
This was very cool! I like your creativity.

There needs to be more good Tomoe fic in the world...
fefesg chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
Here I was expecting another story on Kenshin's early days with the Kihetei, but you pleasantly surprised me! ;D

I must admit I read through the story rather fast.. but I got alot of enjoyment from it nonetheless.. the suspense and the buildup and sudden revealing of Tomoe.. very nicely written! Thank you for giving us such wonderful stories, I'll be sure to read the rest of your creative masterpieces :)
Jellybean06 chapter 1 . 11/21/2007
This was really fascinating to read. It's another one of those not-thought-of things that you've managed to illustrate wonderfully.
Khrysalis chapter 1 . 5/27/2006
One thing that I've always admired about Tomoe-san is that she had and powerful and memorable presense even when never saying a word.

...hmm... omasuoniwabanshi compared the lady to a sheep wandering into a wolf pack, but somehow I can't agree. This is not to say the idea is wrong. No. In this, it might depend entirely on one's point of view.

For me, I think she did know exactly what she was doing, and she knew all the consequences conceived and those merely possible, up until a point of coming to know Kenshin himself. It seemed (to me) that she had fully planned to forfeit her life and future for the chance of avenging Kiyosato. She knew what kind of men these were she was allying herself with, and she knew what would happen to her if the Ishin Shishi discovered what she was once she was among them. I also think she was well beyond caring what happened to her. Here was power to show passion to Kiyosato for the first time by bringing these men on the head of his killer. At least...that's what I think.

I understand it was simply a comparison, but it seems to me the woman was no less driven. Not at first.

Sorry for my musings. I went on a little too long, I think. This peice just got the noggin going.
shiko-chan chapter 1 . 1/24/2006
m. i loved the pacing here! like you said to another reviewer, i find it hard to write much faster than my usual "slow and introspective", so i really admire how you were able to pull off the sense of fury/exasperation here. and of course it was perfect buildup to the "punchline" at the end, so to speak. wonderful work!
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
I love how you are able to focus on these small moments that are absolutely pivotal and yet the essence is unknown to the players involved. Tomoe may have intended to play an important role in Kenshin's life but she never had any idea how transforming her involvement would be. Just as you have captured pivotal points where the Battousai is born such as in “Already In Shadow”, perhaps this is the moment where the Rurouni is conceived, unknown to all.
SiriusFan13 chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
Beautiful! This is what happens when I don't have time to read and review for ages! I get a whole bunch to read and then (after wowing myself over all of this) realize how crappy my own stuff is! (laughs(

Anyway... onto the review...

I LOVE the "strange bedfellows" comment, first of all. That was genius. Also, the feel of this fic was amazing. I could feel the anxiety and the rush of everything happening, so much so that i found myself racing through reading it, as i looked through sasaki's eyes... wow...

probably how i missed the last "tea girl" tomoe, hm?

(grins)

great work as always...

sirius
Shirou Shinjin chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
Poor little story... only 5 reviews :( Guess putting the word "politics" into a summary is the kiss of death...

I quite liked this. It doesn't really add anything to canon; it's a sort of "between moments" kind of thing. None the less, I quite liked it... makes one think about how Tomoe actually came to work for the bakufu. Makes you wonder what must have been going through her mind at that very moment, hearing the enraged shouts of the commander inside.

"I wonder what I've gotten myself into."

Another wonderful little story.
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
Very neat showing how Tomoe got her start in the plot against Battousai :) I really like the attention to detail you always show in your work... the little things like describing posture and stance really bring the words to life and makes a clear picture in my head :) Great job!
matchynishi chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
Ohh... seems to be a well written AU , for once. And wartime, too! *grins happily and waits for more*
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
It's chilling to think how driven the Tokugawa forces were to kill off Kenshin. Sasaki sounds like the boss from you-know-where! I'm with LadyRhiyana on the part where he said 'Have I no one capable of ridding me of this thorn in my flesh?' - shades of King Henry! But Sasaki wasn't a harassed king carelessly letting words slip, he really wanted Kenshin dead. Compared to that lot, Tomoe was like a sheep wandering into a wolf pack.

Very well done!
Peacebunnie chapter 1 . 10/15/2005
Oh... (starry eyed)

I like. Not a moment one generally thinks about, but now the hole has been filled in nicely. Kudos.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 10/15/2005
(Apropos of nothing) You know what this reminded me of? "Will no one rid me of this infernal priest?" (laughs)

I don't think Sasaki-san would regret Kenshin's death, though. You built a perfect picture of a harassed, enraged official. The reactions of his underlings were great too.

Another fascinating snapshot. Thanks!