Reviews for An Understanding
jessi chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Excellent story!
bookish327 chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
One more time (until you have another fic for me to read in one of my fandoms, and then I'm sure I'll be writing this again): you perfectly nailed Mal here. This sounds exactly like the way he speaks, and it makes perfect sense with the character that we know. Your observations about River and Simon were also very astute. Lastly, very well-written, as always. Good job. :-)
YellinYee chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
I really like this reasoning for Mal keeping Simon and River on board Serenity. Mal has a sweet side that he doesn't show often, but it is definitely there. Through the course of the show you see how he warms to River, but not so much Simon. I like how you explained Mal's thought process of respecting him and also how one of River's seemingly odd and incoherent phrases actually referred to him.
Lee Aemilius chapter 1 . 4/21/2011
Nice! I liked it.
Quarter-Centurian chapter 1 . 4/21/2011
Hit the nail on the head. Excellent ficlet of Mal.
Redmage2 chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
Oh, this made me so happy! I love fics that explore the dynamic between Mal and River, and oh! such a good job this one does. Again, you do such an amazing job of getting inside characters' heads and drawing out their personalities.

(How is it that so many of my fandoms overlap with yours, yet I haven't found any of your fics until now? It's a failing on my part!)
Arcole chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
Very nice! I came over here after reading your Burn Notice fic. You've got Mal down pat. I really like how you present the connection between him and River. Good job!
Riana1 chapter 1 . 9/13/2007
Mal would not be Mal if the knight errant syndrome wasn't so dang strong. Really beautiful.
Sean E chapter 1 . 3/3/2007
Wow, great fic. I think you captured Mal perfectly. Based on everything in his previous history, letting them stay on the Serenity makes little sense. This fic would fit in well in the movie/show. I hope you write another Firefly fic soon.

Also hope life is treating you well and you're still active in campaigns.
chemqueen chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
really, REALLY good.
Evilclone chapter 1 . 10/17/2005
nice, explains a bit about mal ;) pre or post movie?
Madj chapter 1 . 10/16/2005
I love this. I think one of the reasons Mal was so eager to let them get off the ship is that they were feeling a little too much like family, like the rest of the crew. And that's a whole lot of trouble that he didn't want to deal with. I like that he has something in common with River - they're both broken, and also with Simon - that they'll both fight with everything they have to protect their loved ones. I think you showed that perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
FigFan chapter 1 . 10/16/2005