Reviews for Under My Wing
Sakura123 chapter 40 . 10/21/2006
[I'm beginning to have a knack for finding uber-long LOTR stories. . .]

I've gotta say, I really love your story. I really handn't expected to enjoy it this much, the Nanny - whose name escapes me at the moment - being an OC and all, but I did and I'm glad I took the time to read it. The way you described the Nanny's (T_T) first time with caring for Boromir all the way to when she had to look after him and Faramir was excellent; you characterized their child-persona's down to a believable T, for I remember acting like them at one point of my life (good times, good times). The chapters afterward, Post-Lady Finduilas, were very dramatic and shockingly funny ("Do you yield?") - my favorite chapter was "36: Consolation." And my least favorite was chapter "40: News." Woe is me, Nanny got the new of Boromir's death (it was a major tear jerker)! I was kinda hoping post-childhood chappies would be held off, but alas it was not so!

All in all I am enjoying your story, if its not already finsihed. Though the lack of "Complete" gives me hope.

I hope you update soon!

Gerda Glazier Funny Phraser chapter 1 . 10/7/2006
Not to be too importunate but ... could we have another chapter? Pretty please with sugar and a cherry?
Anonymous chapter 40 . 9/17/2006
Please keep this story going! It is great and I want to read more!
Reius Devirix chapter 40 . 8/26/2006
Hey! I love this story! It's really great and your detailed descriptions make for natural reading. I mean I can envision everything that's happening. You're really good! Please continue the story!
ithilbean chapter 24 . 8/1/2006
angry little fara muttering to his precious rabbit... so adorable :D since he only can say one word - Bo'mir. what's he muttering about and what's in his little mind, I wonder :)
Rugi chapter 24 . 7/30/2006
Ah yes. The inexplicable biter. I knew a woman who was only able to cure her daughter of the biting habit by biting her back every time she didn't. It was an awkward week for the mommy.

I love seeing the brothers together - even when they are fighting. I like Boromir's sense of being the big brother and greater maturity - even when he is complaining about his bitten finger.

I also love your portrayal of Denethor and Finduilas. Denethor is sort of clueless about kids (which seems in character) and Finduilas injects some motherly and human wisdom into his sense of duty.

And this little exchange is going down as my favorite for the week (if not the month):

I knelt down to face him, and asked sternly, "Are you going to

bite any more?" He shook his head emphatically. "Are you going to share the toys without fighting?" A nod, just as emphatic. "Faramir, if you bite him again, Boromir is going to bite you back."

"I am?" Boromir was startled.
grumpy123 chapter 20 . 7/16/2006
Boramir and Faramir together on this not wanting a new nanny, can not blame them, they have a great one already.
Rugi chapter 20 . 7/13/2006
Is he the one who sent the flowers? I love how you show little glimpses of Nanny's future (and again her non-baby minding side) while still showing that she is Nanny. And Boromir's jealousy is spot on - it would be frightening to think of losing someone so close to a mother.
Lilan chapter 20 . 7/12/2006
*chuckles* When I was a kid, I adored one of my mom's friends, and was furious when she got married and had her own children! That was such a betrayal.

Lovely story! I love how honest your Nanny is. She never tries to lie to Boromir and say of course she would not marry, but she manages to make it so non-traumatic!

Thanks for another treat!

Rugi chapter 23 . 6/25/2006
"Too sweet!" Faramir made a face. "I like milk and the cimmanon."

Hee hee hee. My little brother used to say "cimmanon" and "aminals." It's little details like this which make your child-characters so realistic.
Raksha The Demon chapter 36 . 6/24/2006
Ah, the joys of rearing little boys!

I love the way you write Faramir as a physically and emotionally strong youngster, not a wimp, taking on his older and larger brother.
Rugi chapter 4 . 6/2/2006
Interesting juxtiposition of chapters - seeing Nanny with Boromir performing his first duty as a lord of Gondor (even if it was just sitting in a crib through a long a boring dinner) and then seeing Nanny's reaction to his last duty.

It's also nice to see Nanny's non-baby-minding side in her reaction to Imrahil. I think it would be hard to be level-headed and totally professional when one of your "bosses" is a handsome and charming prince. ;)

I also really like how you portray Nanny's respect for Finduilas' and Denethor's position as Boromir's parents - even though she spends so much time with him, thye still love him and have a right to be with him. You also showed the melancholy of parents whose duties force them to spend less time with their children than they'd perhaps like. Really great chapter!
spacecow1 chapter 38 . 6/1/2006
Oh, dear God. Your last chapter, "News", made me cry. I love this series of stories and I kept wondering whether you'll approach Boromir's death.

I'm glad you did. It's beautifully written- and terribly sad. Well done.

I do hope, however, that this isn't the end of the series. I'm always waiting anxiously for new chapters, and you never disappoint.
Chibikaz chapter 4 . 6/1/2006
I thoroughly enjoy every one of these snapshots. I hope you continue to be inspired for a very long time.

If you need plot bunnies: at what point does Nanny get released from duty? How do the boys react? Does Nanny remain a confidant for Faramir as his relationship with his father sours?

Tinurix chapter 1 . 5/29/2006
Basically by the time I finished this chapter, I was in tears, but it's such a beautiful chapter. As others have said, you've shown how Nanny has started a life of her own instead of just withering away in the servants' quarters.

"I closed my eyes, as if this would help keep back the grief or keep me from picturing my little duckling lying broken on some far-away battlefield"

This line here broke my heart and gave me some of the saddest mental images of Boromir ever. And yet, despite how sad of a chapter this is, I've found myself rereading it four times. You have such a wonderful way of writing, I can't seem to help myself. Lovely job. 3
142 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »