Reviews for The Fires of Compromise
S.R.H. Fade chapter 8 . 12/24/2011
My, I read this story all in one go and I have to say, I'm quite impressed with what you have here. The plot's in good shape, the OCs are charming in their bawdy, drunk way, and Link and Zelda are characterized quite nicely—and I'll admit that their interaction is possibly what I find most intriguing about this fic. I haven't seen them portrayed quite in this fashion before, nor as well.

It's a shame that this hasn't been updated in a while, but I'll still be waiting for the next update.
Aki no hikari chapter 8 . 9/1/2010
Very interesting bit of information about the fairies. I like your story a lot, please continue it soon
C. Shannon chapter 8 . 8/11/2010
Seeing that you updated this story really made my day.

Ive beeen following it for I dont quite remember since when, and while during the last two years I had resigned myself to the fact that it was seemingly abandoned, I still very much enjoyed what was written so far. Seeing this update was a really nice surprise, for which I thank you.

That discussion of fairies and pixie dust was quite fascinating. And the plot is moving along slowly, though I cant help but wonder at the chapter title.

I dont expect an update anytime soon, but as long as youre willing to write this story like you did so far, Ill read it.
Banana Rum chapter 8 . 8/10/2010
It's nice to read another installment of this fic! I love your Link, as always. The relationships between Link and both Saria and Zelda are vividly and astutely described here.

And I love this exchange between Link and Clarice:

"Come on. You ain't got nowhere to go anyhows, now that the bar burned down. What was you plannin' to do? Sleep in the streets?"

Link lowered his eyes, his smile sheepish. "Camp out in the fields, actually."

Clarice snorted. "How absurdly you. Face it, yer comin' home with me and that's final."

It was light and lovable, and a nice break from the gravity of the earlier passage. I loved Link and Zelda's interaction at the end, with discussions of the fairy dust, as well. But what is this! A cliffhanger! XPP

Lovely installment; thank you for posting!

Kalliel
Reignva chapter 8 . 8/10/2010
First off, I'm so glad you updated! I'm glad to see someone is somewhat active on xD So, onwards to the review!

I really liked your intro about dreams. Nice way of simultaneously drawing us back into the story and revealing a bit more about Link and his relationship with the 3 girls in his life. I also like the slight bitchiness that Zelda has. It suits her rather well xD The dialogue between Link and Clarice was nice. I like the big sisterly/motherly vibe that Clarice gives off and how you show it in her talk. And its always fun to see someone who doesn't know what Link is fully capable of. xD I like the bit of mischievous flirting that Zelda does with Link xD And I like how Link has a bit of a know-it-all vibe, cute really. - Nice way of revealing a bit more of the plot through that talk between Zelda and Link D

One thing that I kept noticing was your use of commas. For example:

"He'd made a habit, since his return, of visiting the Temple once, sometimes twice, a week to honor his patron, Farore."

If you read that sentence out loud, it comes off very stilted and it doesn't flow. It seems like every other word you have to pause when you still want to keep going, you know? It might be a bit better to organize your sentence a bit more so you don't have to rely on commas so much. I would probably rewrite that line as:

"Since his return, he'd make a habit to visit the Temple once or twice a week to honor his patron, Farore."

There were many lines that had a lot of commas and it started to get a bit distracting-which is a shame because I really enjoy your story -! Some of those commas might actually be substituted for different punctuations, like semi colons or dashes. You might want to look up on that D

But I'm still looking forward to your story! I'll be waiting patiently for your next chapter -
Achitka chapter 7 . 5/13/2008
Ah, how I've gotten behind in my reading.

I really enjoyed this chapter and (yes I know it's been well over a month since you posted it...but I am so easily distracted.) Saria has always been one of my favorites, though I personally think the average 10 yr old is less childish than people often give them credit for.

I will definitely be looking forward to the next chapter - hope to see it soon!

cya

achitka
Kariah chapter 7 . 4/16/2008
Very intriging story. I'm very curious about how this is going to turn out and I hope to see another update soon.
Anonymous chapter 2 . 3/30/2008
You didn't lie when you wrote that your goal was to provide well-written fictions "of the highest esteem." I can easily see the fruits of your effort reflected in this beautifully written story, and I've only read up to the first chapter!

There is just one general critique I have for you: Some of your sentences are a bit choppy. What I mean is that there are so many thoughts and clauses marked off by even more commas that it makes your writing seem so “chopped up,” understand? While it’s not grammatically incorrect, the over-abundance of split-offs in your sentences makes them a little difficult to keep track of what refers to what, and some readers (like myself) are prone to backtracking very often to fully understand and appreciate the story. Every comma prompts me to pause my reading and prepare myself to read a separate idea or thought, so I get lost very easily when I have to do this three or more times every other sentence I read. Here are a few examples to help illustrate my point:

- “There were no reports of injuries, and buildings could be replaced, but the townspeople questioned their safety, and the guards did little to calm their fears.” (4 commas)

- “It may have been why, in the past, Zelda had snuck Link to her bedchambers, begging he keep her company through the night, her tiny frame huddled against his own in the darkness of the twilight hours.” (4 again)

- “His triumphs, forgotten by all save the Princess and himself, had dissipated with the passing of the sages, who guarded their respective temples against the tainted hands of the foul.” (3)

- “His body moved involuntarily at her command, and he noted, with an unnamed emotion, that if and when she sent him to hell, he would go, as ordered, with nothing less than an iron will to complete his task.” (6, whoa a new record)

- “Link was alone to carry out his mischief, and he did so, most discreetly, until reaching the Inner Court.” (4)

I hope you understand my point. These are only a few examples from your first chapter, but I’m not assuming your more recent chapters are like this. Anyway I just wanted to point this out to you because it was the only thing that stood out to me as (possibly) needing improvement. As you wrote in your bio, every author has strengths and weaknesses!

Oh, and there’s one grammatical error I found at the end of your first chapter:

Zelda: “If I am to prove these fires of unnatural birth, than I must find unnatural evidence to match its cause!”

I think you meant “then” and not “than” here.

I look forward to reading the rest of your story. Happy writing!
Chips Dip chapter 7 . 3/16/2008
] wow. an amazing twist. please update soon.
Chips Dip chapter 6 . 3/14/2008
as i have started my previous review: OMG! for my sanity's sake, thank God you have this exceptional vocabulary! It's so REFRESHING! Again, another chapter well done!
Chips Dip chapter 4 . 3/14/2008
OMG. you do SUCH a goos job drawing me in with your SUBTLE DRAMA. thats the only way I can put it. I think i especially adore the way you tend to start out scenes with faceless dialog. Super-awesomeness
Chips Dip chapter 3 . 3/14/2008
haha. your AMAZING. I haven't read Zelda fanfiction this good since like, 2005. seriously! I'm so happy
Chips Dip chapter 1 . 3/14/2008
WOW! Phenomenal first chapter! 0.0
Yuleen75 chapter 7 . 3/13/2008
Things are getting interesting, but you make me really nervous with all those problems but not a single clue!
lordsesshomaru2 chapter 7 . 3/13/2008
A very well written story, it definitely shows promise of becoming a story worth holding up as an ideal for LoZ fanfiction.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »